Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-31-2003, 03:36 PM   #101
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not wear a helmet?

What I'm positive of is that he would have for SURE traded his "formerly pristine" FatBoy for the car he was smashing his face into so he wouldn't have to fly over the handlebars and only end with a dinged bumper.

My point is: everyone makes their own choices and they should have a right to, unless those choices interfere with the rights of other people.

I wear a helmet ALWAYS. Sometimes I choose to wear a half helmet and assume the risks of doing so the same way I assume the risks of riding a motorcycle instead of a car or a 5000 pound truck. I will NOT STOP wearing a helmet if the law changes or if I ride in a state where it is not required to do so but I don't think it is OK that we are forced by law to wear helmets. Someday someone may decide that it is too dangerous to ride a bike and outlaw them.

Smoking in enclosed public places is a different issue because you are affecting the people that HAVE to inhale your fumes. If you want to polute your lungs do it where you will not be forcing others to be contaminated as well.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2003, 03:40 PM   #102
sarnali
Founding Member

Go ahead and flip seruzawa crap,,,,,, just don't expect him to catch you on his boat anchor Suzuki,,,,, Go ahead and pull over to the side of the road and laugh,,,,,,, just don't expect him to quit chasing you,,,,,,,, Go ahead and load your britches when he hauls out Mr. Blackhawk,,,,,,, just don't expect the government to dig .44's slugs out of your ass for free,,,,,,,,,See where that line of reasoning gets you?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 03:41 PM   #103
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default How do you like this one?

OK, it has been demonstrated that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car consequently anyone who chooses to ride a motorcycle is obviously ignorant or stupid and, therefore, requires a law compelling them to drive a car instead of a motorcycle.

Do you like that? It makes just as much sense as your logic.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 03:43 PM   #104
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default KPaul is an idiot.

That said, insurance premiums are high because of horsepower and wonks like KPaul that think they are Racer Boy Master of the Universe. Insurance on lower hp bikes isn't high at all unless you have a lousy affinity for traffic tickets. I pay around a 180 bucks per annum for full coverage on my 97' Electraglide Classic. State Farm coverage. 250 deductable. I haven't anything against high horsepower and wish mine had more. Sport bikes are great and fun but ya can't do 150+ on the street without consequences. Those being yours and others health and high insurance premiums. Unhelmet riders have nothing to do with KPauls premiums be they high or low. If he thinks so then he must be wearing too tight of shorts. Squeasing his brain I imagine.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 04:06 PM   #105
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: Economics for dummies: Two words

LMAO
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 04:09 PM   #106
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Why ride at all??

Given chevy pick-ups propensity to flame-on like a 3 ton zippo I'll take my chances on a bike, thank yew. Point taken about drinkin' an' ridin', It amazes me to see all the shiney (mostly) cruiser's lined up outside taverns on a rare sunny day. A couple of beers plus minimal skills and they could wear total body armor and still be a safety hazzard. That beenie ain't gonna help.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:20 PM   #107
sarnali
Founding Member

Kaos theory rears it's ugly head !! would the car that turned in front of you have been there if the driver hadn't have stopped for the kid on the bicycle in the road 10 minutes earlier? Or was it your karma to be in that place and at that time no matter who the opposing driver was?
Old 05-31-2003, 04:32 PM   #108
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul's helmet law.

Too slow ke-mo-sabe` the government SHOULD step in and cover minimum health care costs for everyone, It's a national scandal that the richest most powerfull country on earth doesn't provide it's citizens with basic access to free health care.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:40 PM   #109
Nplateau
Founding Member

As an utter newbie, I think my 2 cents may have some worth...

I will never ride without a full face helmet,

regardless of how skilled or experienced a rider I may one day become. Self-preservation arguments aside, a big part of my reasoning are the ideas of consideration and concession.

Consideration in the sense that there are people that care/depend/need/love/like us. These people would much rather see us alive than dead. Motorcycling is a selfish pleasure, and usually disregarding some of these surrounding figures' protestations, we continue to ride our bikes and enjoy our sport, dangerous as it may be. Truthfully, I like having these people in my life too, and I know they would despair as I much as I would for them if tragedy were to occur. I'm still gonna ride my bike, but I can be considerate of the relationships I have with the people dear to me.

Therefore, I am willing to make some Concessions.

I'm still going to have a blast (not to mention feeling safer and more confident) with my full face helmet on, even though I'll never achieve Tom Cruise coolness. My friends and family will feel safer and better, and in the long run, it is me who benefits. So I concede away the the cool and the breeze through my hair, and I'll give a little piece of mind to those dear to me. And maybe save my life in the process.

For those of you that don't wear the helmet, more power to you. Your deal with your maker seems less tenuous than mine. Of course I don't mind a little thinning of the herd either.

By the way, I do agree with the Oregonian's observation that it's mostly cruisers (Harley guys) that go helmetless or with the half-domes. Why is that? Aren't most of those Harley guys lawyers, accountants and dentists? Oh wait, my bad... KEEP THOSE HELMETS OFF GUYS!!!

Seriously though, safe riding to all.

THE NEWBIEMAN
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 04:43 PM   #110
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: If you want to be an idiot fine

You're skatin' on thin ice, Kpaul. Since me and a few other poster's here have over 30 years experiance on a veriaty of bikes and you have only a year or two, why should we be forced to pony up for your lack of experiance coupled with a race-rep 600? statisticaly we're alot less likely to get injured while you my friend, are at the top of the list. If it were up to me we'd have tier'd licensing and an under 250 restriction/ L plate requirement for the first two years. Instead we have reletivily inexperianced riders rolling out on GSXR's, CBR's and R6's. statisticaly the first year/ first bike accident rate is triple the rate for a rider with many miles ridden.