Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-31-2003, 10:08 AM   #91
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not wear a helmet?

If helmets significantly reduce the severity of injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents and even save the lives of motorcyclists, then all motorcyclists should wear a helmet.

It should not require a law for all motorcyclists to wear helmets. However, some people choose not to, in spite of the rational and incontrovertable reasons for doing so.

Consequently, anyone who chooses not to wear a helmet is obviously ignorant or an idiot and, therefore, requires a law compelling them to wear a helmet.

Anyone who chooses not to wear a helmet---by so choosing---demonstrates their inability to protect themselves as a responsible adult and thereby requires the state to impose protections on their behalf.

There is ample precedent for laws to protect children and weak-minded adults from injuring themselves, and helmet laws are no different.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2003, 11:39 AM   #92
roadlizard
Founding Member

Personally I do not think a common sense decision like whether or not one should wear a helmet should be made via legislation. Of course protective equipment will not protect you from everything but I have (unfortunately) tested mine and wouldnÂ’t consider riding without it.

That said, I was riding behind a Harley rider a few days ago. He was clad in the cool beanie helmet and leather vest. I wore my usual full face helmet and Kevlar equipped leather.

I watched him run his formerly pristine fatboy into the side of a car at an intersection. He smashed face first into the car. As the EMS guys worked on him, I wondered... if while flying over his handlebars he could have somehow traded his gear for mine would he?

roadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 12:24 PM   #93
machine539
Founding Member

Flawed logic. Wearing a helmet, aside from preventing bugs hitting your face, also *lowers* your risk of injury, at least head-related.

You wanna be a squid, don't figure your head is worth the protection, go right the hell ahead, but just don't cry too hard if/when your head cracks open on the curb.

Oh, I know.. "It'll never happen to me".. well, if you don't think that, and you don't wear a helmet.. you're dumb.
machine539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 01:22 PM   #94
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Default Re: My revised laws

Go LR! I think most of your views on the helmet issue are full of caca, but I must admit, that was a most excellent post in reply to more BS from the infamous KP. Well done! One of the few times I have lauged out loud.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 01:34 PM   #95
jmeyn
Founding Member

Bad example, really. They have evidence of bad effects from second-hand smoke. I'm a smoker myself, but I don't smoke indoors in public space unless it's explicitly permitted either by signs or by provision of ash trays.

Of course the anti-smoking nazis are just as virulent as the anti-abortion and pro-gun nazis.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 01:38 PM   #96
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Oh come on. You are an inciter. From this and your other logic absent posts, I gather you like to make grandiose statement to stir the pot. Never mind things like facts or truth.

Show me just one example where a first time offender gets "years in jail" for smoking a joint.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:53 PM   #97
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Maybe you need to read current accident statistics. While alcohol is still a large contributor, a huge percentage of motorcycle fatalities these days are one vehicle (motorcycle) accidents in rural areas. Motorcycle collisions involving at fault cars, is actually very small.

Based on the proliferation of cruisers and H-Ds in recent years, and also the statistics showing that the proportion of large displacement bikes involved in collisions has increased significantly, one can logically deduce that single motorcycle collisions involving cruisers and H-Ds have skyrocketed.

So before you go off spouting your drivel, read up and gain some insight as to what is actually happening out there.

And I am not a Harley basher - I own one.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:24 PM   #98
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul's helmet law (REVISED)

What KPaul REALLY wants to say is this:

1. Helmet wearing is optional. However...

2. If you want to buy a new bike you need to contact KPaulCook and request authorization. He'll provide it at HIS discretion. HE knows what's good for you.

3. In the event of an accident you need to file a report to KPaulCook and only HE will decide who is responsible and who should pay for damages. HE is wise and just.

Give me a break!
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 02:29 PM   #99
sarnali
Founding Member

I rode for a couple of years without a helmet, mainly because it felt good to have the wind in my hair and the unlimited periphial vision, the ability to talk with your riding partner, conveniance of just jumping on and going, being able to feel the temperature changes on your face, to smell the air in different places, it's just a feeling of being out there in the world that you don't get with a helmet. That was then, this is now. Now I wear a helmet every time and leathers about 99.9% of the time. Why? I guess I'm just older and less willing to take risks than I used to be, I've got middle aged glass knees that hurt like hell if I get cold in them, I'd hate to think what a good thunk on the pavement would do, so I wear armored leather pants, I know how intricate the bones in my hands and feet are, and how long it takes them to heal so I wear armored Sidi boots and Kevlar gloves, I know how damn good lookin' I am, so I wear a full face Shoei to keep it that way, I realize that riding can be risky so I work on improving my skills and awareness each time I ride. To me life without motorcycles in it would be diminished so I work at riding well, wearing my protective gear and enjoying myself. When people talk about freedom of no helmets I can relate to that, But I find proper good fitting (and looking) riding gear is comfortable, stylish and keeps you safer so thats what I do . Anyone else is free to do as they see fit as far as I'm concerned.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 02:30 PM   #100
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Economics for dummies: Two words

K Paul
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote