Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-30-2003, 03:55 AM   #81
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Give me inline 4s or give me death

The goldwing wasn't bulit here since 1975. You are mistaken. It wasn't considered imported back to Japan until 1984, when it was actually built here. So yes, you ARE mistaken. The Shadows were never even a concept before a tariff. That is mistaken #2. On your third count, it's just you because you obviously don't know ***** about anything else.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2003, 04:03 AM   #82
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Well said man.

I'm not a Harley anything. I've owned more motorcycles than you have underwear. Started on a Hodaka Super Rat at 10. Remember those? You don't. I rode dirt bikes from 10 until 18 and then went to street bikes. Maico 250and CZ 400 were the ones I rode mostly. I have owned more Hondas than Harleys in my life. I've owned and ridden most models of just about every brand made. I am a motorcycist. It's something you wouldn't understand.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:07 AM   #83
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Dummies that can't comprehend

I'm talking about why they STARTED to manufacture here. They saw the writing on the wall. Import restrictions and tariffs were a reality and they needed a way around them. And if you want to talk about help, let's talk about the Japanese government subsidation of all it's industries for over 40 years as well as plenty of unfair trade practices. If you want concrete examples I can give you those. I think you are brain dead at times.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:37 AM   #84
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Beem me up Scotty, Sarnali scores his BMW

I'm afraid of the dark, ok? See comment above about VFR and apply to SV650! I guess it's time for you to trade up to the 19th century with that A/O cooled boat anchor of your's eh?.-Ha-Ha-Ha
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:44 AM   #85
SmokeU
Registered Member

According to this article, http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa032.html, written in 1984, the tariffs went into effect for the 1984 model year. Meaning that the Shadow had been out for one full model year already. Which means it WAS a concept before the tariff. And yes Hardley did ask for the government intervention after turning down help from the Japanese. And after some more research I did learn that I was wrong about the 1975 about the Goldwing, the Marysville Ohio plant didn't open until September 1979.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:57 AM   #86
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default The Road King is adjustable...

After owning a Â’99 Valk for about 6 months and putting over 8,000 miles on it I found the front end to be very heavy. It would fall into turns. Correcting it by hefty countersteering or a twist of the wrist was easy enough but the Road King with its shorter wheelbase and more aggressive steering head angle was by far the sportier handler of the two.

I have seen a few folks say the same thing you mentioned and thought you might be interested to know that the problems you mentioned can be corrected by correct tire pressure and more importantly running the correct pressure in the rear and, on pre-2002 models, front air suspension.

I have noticed the exact symptoms you described and after first checking the tire pressure I checked the suspension (use the zero loss gauge/pump from Progressive) and found the rear was running only 2 lbs of air. I put some more air in the rear, ran it a bit, tweaked it some more and found the sweet spot for my weight.

The thing will do a 360 in the space of a single car lane while scraping the floorboard not paddle-walking and headshake is non-existent at any speed.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:19 AM   #87
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I can sum you post up so simple even you can understand. Follow along if you can:

"Ummm gee, I guess the Goldwing hasn't been built here since 1975."

Wrong.

"I sure thought that there was a 2 term limit, I must be mistaken. "

Yes, you were.

"The Shadows have also been built here in Ohio ever since their conception, which was also before the tariffs."

Wrong again. They were NEVER built here. Are we seeing a pattern yet?

"Maybe it's just me, but I thought the tariffs were brought about because of HD's whining about not being able to compete."

Wrong #3. Harley whined about 3 years of brand new unsold motorcycles being sold for half their worth. That's called "dumping" which is illegal according to trade laws. Maybe you should to a little "research" on that instead of talking out your ass.

Also, the plant in 1979 was an ASSEMBLY plant. Go look that up. Honda Goldwings were not IMPORTED back to Japan until 1985, when they finally built the engines here.

Small excerpt:

"Following the success of its Marysville Motorcycle Plant, in 1985 Honda builds an engine plant in nearby Anna, Ohio, to build Gold Wing engines. Just as Marysville's success paved the way for Honda's auto manufacturing in America, the Anna Engine Plant moved from manufacturing GL engines alone to building powerplants for Civics and Accords. At Anna, all the casting, forging, machining and heat-treating processes necessary to turn raw materials into finished, sophisticated engines reside under one roof. "

Funny how they decided to build the engines here one year AFTER the tariffs. Imagine that.

See you talk it and I lived it.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:21 AM   #88
SmokeU
Registered Member

Funny how you point something again that I already have admitted to, and how literal you take sarcasm(the two terms presidency if you didn't catch that). So you are saying that Honda doesn't build motorcycles here, even though Honda says it builds motorcycles here and employs 750 people at it's Marysville Ohio plant??

"Following the success of its Marysville Motorcycle Plant"--exactly FOLLOWING the success, meaning that the plant had been in operation for 5 years building motorcycles already.

ASSEMBLY means built, and that means made in the USA no matter where the parts are sourced. HD by no means has a 100% American made product. No large worldwide corporation has products entirely source from one country.

The Honda Auto and Motorcycle plants in Marysville are two separate entities. They were in fact already building Shadow engines here, because they WERE building Shadows here.

Anyways, I hate arguing about stoopid *****, lets just be happy that we have motorcycles and enjoy the fellowship of being bikers. Almost 4:30 and I've got a nice trip planned for me and the Deuce.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #89
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Beem me up Scotty, Sarnali scores his BMW

Well, actually I keep drooling over that Speed Triple that's in front of the Triumph dealer, but every time I drive by my wife pulls out the S&W .357 and points it at my head until we are safely past.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:17 AM   #90
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Execuse me ?????US like France no way

For once I agree with Kpaul!!! However, the posts from all three people in this thread are full of mis-information (read totally inaccurate). You all should watch the history channel a little more.

An infinitely more accurate comparison would be: England's involvement in the recent Iraqi conflict, IF they had been attacked by Iraq. The majority of english people (like those in the US before Pearl Harbor) didn't want to get involved in the conflict.

The 'english' would be speaking german right now if not for the limitless support they received from the US BEFORE Pearl Harbor. The ONLY thing the US didn't supply until after the attack was men.

By the way, the V2 was extremely accurate and fully developed. Only its limited production saved London and other cities.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote