Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-18-2003, 09:04 AM   #1
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Windmills Tilted: 'Motorcyclist Mag is Plagiarist Mag'

I dropped Motorcyclist Mag more than a year ago and it was for a couple of reasons. They essentially seemed to be just like Cycle World and I couldn't stand the juvenile banter they would print. Every other word was "Roosting" and the like and it seemed as if it were being published out of some lame high school shop class. Now, to believe the above story, they are ripping off journalists and their readers. I'm just glad that I don't have to go to the effort of canceling my subscription. Good story.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2003, 09:30 AM   #2
Betamax
Founding Member

A good article, with no doubt some truth to it, but stating that plagiarism is one of "the three worst crimes a human can commit against another" is hyperbolic and ridiculous.

If it's all true, then Peter Jones should hire a lawyer and get satisfaction in court rather than playing the victim in print. I feel some sympathy for Jones, but I'm sick of people whining and carping but never doing anything concrete to change their situation.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:31 AM   #3
remanking
Founding Member

Peter is a good guy and you can trust his story to be true, I did a wheelie school with him and have met him at the races and he is a very straight forward and "tell it like it is" individual. I subscribe to S&S and read this story. I also saw the piece in question on TV and remember at the time that I thought I saw him in the background and that it was strange. Sometimes the "Big Boys" get too big for their own good and think they are untouchable. Besides any legal action I think Motorcyclist needs to fess up real big and real quick. It will be interesting to see how they address this.

Jamie
remanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
Andonyx
Registered Member

Hmm, I wish we could follow legal repurcussions of this event. (And I hope there will be some.) But I imagine that until it's all over, niether side can comment on pending litigation. Shame that.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:52 AM   #5
staff
Registered Member

With all due respect, "...but never doing anything concrete to change their situation..." should read: "but never doing anything concrete to change their situation according to my version of satisfaction"

Wasting years in court to profiteer might not be Jones' idea of closure -- telling the truth publically might be.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:55 AM   #6
vfrroom
Founding Member

I don't see the point of this article, is it to make us think that MO and MS&S are highly ethical and moral in their actions, while also making us think the opposite of the other mags mentioned? If so, whatever. I read motorcycle magazines to learn about motorcycles. Seek an attorney regarding copy right law if you think you are in the right and let justice be done.

vfrroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:01 AM   #7
KPaulCook
Banned

I thought that the Motorcylist TV show was discontinued? Defintely a dirty trick, but doesn't Speed owe in some of the blame for giving it to Motorcyclist (something that was intended for Bike Week. ). If Motorcyclist had any class they would acknowledge the idea and build on it. Having seen situations where I wanted to use someone elses software or hardware design for a project(within the company of course) it is imperative you acknowledge that person etc. It is good karma and good business cause folks will come out of the woodwork with other ideas to help. The person that orginally thought of the idea also becomes a powerful ally. Motorcyclist should of approached the guy and asked for permission etc. SHAME SHAME.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:21 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

I agree that to classify plagerism as one of the three worst crimes one can commit against a person is hyperbolic, but not that it is ridiculous.

In my opinion, theft of intellectual property is far worse than simple economic theft. If someone steals my money, I can always make more, but if they steal my creative work, that cannot be easily regained.

Maybe Jones SHOULD take them to court, but at best he could get monetary compensation. The court of public opinion is likely a more effective venue for this kind of issue.

When Stephen Ambrose was accused of lifting phrases and entire paragraphs from earlier works, nobody took him to court, they instead went to the press. The original authors whose work was allegedly stolen probably could not clearly show that they suffered economic loss as a result of the "theft." Hell, they probably did not even want any money from him. More likely they just didn't want him to take credit for their creative work.

I am not expressing any opinion on the validity of any of Jones' allegations; however, I am saying that by publishing this in his magazine, and getting it posted here, he is decidedly NOT whining and carping, but rather is doing something very concrete to change the situation.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
hawkrider
Founding Member

Mr. Jones:

How did you lose control. At what point did you let this project get away from you. Thieves are everywhere, it is up to the creator of all property to protect it.

It seems there is ample bad blood in this industry of MC publications. I would guess a contributing factor is your industry is quite small, not alot of players. All the more reason to watch your back.

Don't get me wrong, a thief is a thief! But remember, first time shame on you, second time shame on me.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:44 AM   #10
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Fore-warned is fore-armed. I chose not to deal with unethical people when I can avoid it. You may get burned but if you give me a headsup I'll appreciate it and will try to return the favor if the same happens to me. If I get burned I'll try to drag the scumbag into the light of day for all to see. They think it's funny? I'd have tried to do just what Peter did, at least...
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote