Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-19-2003, 01:59 AM   #31
dardas
Founding Member

Default Re: Windmills Tilted: 'Motorcyclist Mag is Plagiarist Mag'

Any guy that likes "low-cut tops and enticing footwear" probably wants it in the butt.

dardas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2003, 02:03 AM   #32
dardas
Founding Member

Must be dead easy to chase those ambulances on a sportbike, eh?

dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:35 AM   #33
fizzchem
Founding Member

OMG, where to begin? Getting promoted to Department Head is not an object of desire unless University Administratia is your bag. Which, if you are successful scientist, typically it isn't. Distinguished or Named Professor, sure, but an extra 40 hours in fruitless meetings with Deans, no thanks. Sleeping with students usually gets you fired, tenure or no. Screwing with academic records is grounds for automatic dismissal as well. (Unless you're the basketball coach.)

Larger point: Newton had already published some kick-ass work: Opticks for example. Most big names in science got that way not only for quality publications by also quantity. Cases where grad students or postdocs are not given proper credit is rare; there was a series of articles about a postdoc at Northwestern or Chicago who won a judgement regarding intellectual property over her professor and the University in the Chronicle of Higher Education. Most intellectual property is owned by the University, and some deals can be worked out for licensing. That said, Stanford is a huge proponent of releasing their rights to the IP and letting their students and faculty be entrepeneurs. SUN, Yahoo, etc. are examples of that.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 04:30 AM   #34
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Until the ambulance hits you on your sportbike whilst blowing the light.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:44 AM   #35
Viffer-dude
Founding Member

Boy JohnnyB, this is real newsworthy. This has really satisfied my apetite for interesting motorcycle news. ... Yeah, right.

Obviously you've got an ax to grind Burns, and you've used this forum to stir up some resentment. Fine, that's your right, but it strikes me as second-class behavior. This is Mr. Jones fight, so let him duke it out in court.

Now, back to my bacon and eggs. Looks like a really great day for a ride!
Viffer-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #36
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Peter was an associate editor at SPORT RIDER for a short period of time. I've subscribed to it since it's inception back in 1993, so there was no getting away from him. I kept hoping to see an improvement since he was working for a legitimate moto magazine. No such luck. Actually, he wrote one really top-notch article during his tenure there. It was his road test of the Honda VFR800 in the April 1998 issue. Must have been a fluke. Never happened again. Or, the Interceptor was so damn good, it brought out the best in the worst. Since then, I've picked up MS&S at the newstand a few times and took a quick peak to see if it was worth the price of admission. Returned it to the rack every time. Now I don't even bother to look. When I don't think a motorcycle mag is worth reading, it must really suck. Looking back at SPORT RIDER when Nick, Lance, and Jason were it's editors, I strongly feel that was the high point of motojournalism in this country. Typical old fart.....wishing for the good ol' days.....
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:11 PM   #37
redseaport
Founding Member

those f'n nascarvision shows are so so, but without them we'd have nuthin brudda. motorcyclist TV does make me especially nauseous kind of like reading a mag with no editorial content juist ads. if corbin ride can do it why can't they?
redseaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 04:36 PM   #38
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

Gee, and here all along I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand Dave Despain.

Do you remember when he would constantly use the term, "second quick, third quick," when referring to qualifying times? It absolutely made my skin crawl!
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 07:13 PM   #39
Betamax
Founding Member

With all due respect (which is to say none), the phrase "anything concrete" is sufficiently general as to allow for a variety of possible solutions, whether they would satisfy me or not.

Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:50 AM   #40
dwr461
Founding Member

An open letter to Mr. Jones,

Sir, I strongly encourage you to visit a lawyer in this case. I do this for several reason. Firstly, Motorcyclist is a corporation that exists to make money. They will continue to engage in this activity as long as it continues to make them larger net profits. Therefore, the only way to make them quit is to adversely effect their profit margin. Since you view plagerism as an offense of a similar stature to assault and homocide, it is your civic duty to make sure that Motorcyclist is punished for this activity. The future authors that have yet to be plagerized would thank you if they could. The people who enage in these crimes will continue to do so until someone forces them to stop.

Secondly, since anyone can make allegations online for any number of reasons and the volume of charges leveled against others online is staggering. The shear number of complaints that are bullpoop decrease the validity of any real allegation leveled against someone. If this case was tried and won by you in court, more people would have to believe you. After all, anyone can make allegations. I ask you, sir, to back up your allegations and put some iron in your words. (Yes the last part was paraphrased from the film "The Outlaw Josey Wales" 1976)

Mr. Jones good luck to you in the future. Ride well and be safe.

Respectfully,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote