Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Windmills Tilted: 'Motorcyclist Mag is Plagiarist Mag' (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1790-windmills-tilted-motorcyclist-mag-plagiarist-mag.html)

hawkrider 04-18-2003 02:49 PM

Re: Windmills Tilted: 'Motorcyclist Mag is Plagiarist Mag'

I always suspected you were a drama queen Johnny Boy. Try not being so overly protective and emotional and face the facts.

I made it very clear that Jones was wronged. To BLAME him is not the point. To look at this problem from the outside you cannot help but ask, "what could he have done to protect himself?".

We all value work product, but you damn well better be willing and able to protect that product. If some of the people in your industry are willing and able to steal product and ideas and call them their own, why are you all so surprised by the fact that it happened. When I read things like"they do it all the time" and alike.

Mr. Jones, like I said, sue em if you can win, learn from this mistake and move on. And BTW don't let Burns come to your defense, it does not help you cause.

hawkrider 04-18-2003 03:03 PM

sorry about the double post, HOWEVER!

"I shouldn't have been surprised. The publishers of Motorcyclist have a history of stealing, which is why I quit Sport Rider--one of Motorcyclist's sister publications--a number of years ago. "

The fact that Mr Jones was not surprised makes it clear to me that he was NOT following the golden rule, "COVER YOUR ASS".

This problem could have been prevented and he would have recieved credit for his great idea and good work.

rsheidler 04-18-2003 03:12 PM

From what my friends in the academic world tell me, the likely scenario (if one were to assume that things in Newton's time were similar to now) is that Professor Newton, who is under pressure from the University administration to publish something, manages to essentially steal the ideas, and much of the research from a bright young grad student, and, with some writing help from a female undergrad liberal arts student with whom he is sleeping, repackages the work into "Philosophiae naturalis principia mathematica," and as a result is promoted to Department Head, where he pulls strings to get the grad student's PhD, and the undergrad student's math and science requirements cleared, in exchange for their letting him take all the credit.

r1derbike 04-18-2003 06:00 PM

Gawdammit, Burns. I didn't pay hard-earned money to MO and need to listen to the rantings of former employees of some major moto-journals. This bull*****, true or false, should have been kept private between the parties involved. Airing dirty laundry such as this is unprofessional. MO, clean-up your act!

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19

Flickmeister 04-18-2003 06:06 PM

Somebody else already commented about reading mags to learn about motorcycles instead of listening to this crap. I wholeheartedly agree. Whining about being robbed has no place here. It is simply another attempt to discredit MOTORCYCLIST by Johhny B since his demise. Even if this story is completely true, my problem is that I have read a great deal published by Peter Jones and have found his material to a pathetic waste of time. If he were more creditable as a legitimate motojouralist, maybe I'd pay more attention, but as bad as he is, frankly, I just don't give a damn. Cheers, Jack

clively 04-18-2003 06:44 PM

I am glad this was brought to light. I subscribed to Motorcyclist for product reviews and to be entertained but they severely started blowings chunks several months ago. I am just happy I found this site cause the staff is informative and the personalities are very entertaining. Also, if you do not want to read something that isn't directly about a bike then don't click on it.

Holy_Kaw 04-18-2003 07:24 PM

Well said.

Agent0090 04-18-2003 07:36 PM

I agree that what Motorcyclist did was unethical, and I'm glad to see Peter bring it to light. Calling it one of the three worst crimes you can commit is a bit hyperbolic (rape, for instance, should probably come before plagiarism), but the guy is pi$$ed off, so I'm not that bothered by it.

As a lawyer, I'm also glad if Peter does not take his case to court. Court systems can't right every wrong, and I think that so long as nobody lost any large amounts of money, public criticism can be just as satisfying and effective as litigation.

P.S. I'm not that fond of Motorcyclist myself, and I will renew my subscription to MO in the morning.

RAD_DUCK 04-18-2003 07:41 PM

UHHHHH...Hey Bevis, did he just say Metallica? That Guy Rules.........You Dudes gotta lighten up!

Haru 04-18-2003 10:25 PM

"I have read a great deal published by Peter Jones and have found his material to a pathetic waste of time. "

forgive me, but it seems to me that you're the ass, not he. I would have thought that you would have caught on fast and not bothered to keep reading his stuff. If you think his stuff is a pathetic waste of time, and you keep reading a great deal of it, I am afraid, you leave yourself in no credible position to comment.