Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #21
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Bout Time

"If you've ever been in an area where a bunch of snowmobilers are hanging out you'll have to agree. Those things stink."

If you've ever felt like throwing up in a truck stop from the diesel fumes you'll understand that diesel is 1000 times worse in this respect.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2003, 02:39 PM   #22
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Two-Stroke Ban Proposed in MA

I read an interesting statistic related to this once. Apparently just one of those big ocean cargo ships pollutes more in one year than all of the cars in LA combined over one year, yet there are absolutely no regulations on those ships. Hmmm.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:49 PM   #23
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Bingo!
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:42 AM   #24
Pacer
Founding Member

Smog build up in the cities, and people notice. The ocean has less people hanging around, and gets ignored.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 04:26 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

When I was in the Navy back in '70 we would see the smog surrounding Japan. It had to be seen to be believed. Over 120 miles out to sea from Yokosuka the air looked like L.A. on a smoggy day. Unbelievable.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:28 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

You are asking too much here. Politicians operate by dispensing special favors. They can't operate in any other fashion. Every problem's "solution" must include suppressing someone for someone else's benefit.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:01 AM   #27
webdev511
Registered Member

Default Re: Hippocrites in action...

//QUOTE:Studies conducted by the California Air Resources Board found that operating a typical two-stroke engine such as those used in dirtbikes, snowmobiles, or ATVs for seven hours spews the same amount of smog-forming pollution as driving a car more than 100,000 miles.//

So how many hours did it take you to burn that 20-25 gallons?

Yes SUVs pollute more than regular (4 cyl, 6cyl) vehicals. They have bigger engines and therefore the volume of pollution, but with some serious pollution control plumbing under the hood.

Me? I take the libertarian spin on this. Ride what you want, but be held accountable for it. Want to ride a stroker? Then there will be an appropriate fee for the amount of pollution you create. Yup, tail pipe testing and big impact fees for buying stroker oil. That SUV driver would pay a simular fee for every gallon of gas they buy.

Every gallon of fuel will create a certian amount of pollution in a certian vehical. Get your car, bike, whatever tested, then you pay for your pollution at the pump. If that isn't fair, I don't know how else you're gonna do it.

Needless to say, no matter how much the AMA, NRA, blah blah blah, rant about whatever, things are going to change. Status quo doesn't stay that way for very long.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 07:05 AM   #28
webdev511
Registered Member

Default Horses....

Horse owners are typically rich folk. They donate (aka bribe) lots of money to the open space folks and have political connections.

Money is power.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote