Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-07-2003, 01:53 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Suggested Site Enhancement: Tire Ratings

They work for me.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2003, 01:57 AM   #12
Lowrez
Founding Member

Uh, I've got IE 6 and the little ads under the labels work just fine. Perhaps you have an ad blocking firewall?
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:48 AM   #13
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Well, really the data I would want you to see would be statistical, meaning average and standard deviation, possibly also grouped by claimed riding style, location etc. The actual raw numbers probably don't matter as much as how the compare to one another. If one tire is averaging 6,000 miles and another 8,000, it is likely the 2nd one will also last longer for you. The fact that the numbers wind up being 15,000 and 22,000 for you isn't as important but will affect that average.

-AP
Shadowspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:01 AM   #14
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Default Java or Bust!

Okay, this is pretty important so that I can figure out if I spend next weekend actually creating this for the site. I am a java guy. I can probably finish this in 1-2 days for you using java. I don't know PHP and have no need to learn it as it is not very germane to what I do on a daily basis. If you guys want it in PHP, you will need to find another volunteer.

As I stated before the actual presentation engine in open source, so it there would be no licensing fees associated with running the system.

As to proof of purchase, I think we could simply handle (at least for tires) the flaming pretty easily, since the only way to really through off the numbers would be to enter a whole bunch of of the same tires under your name which would wind up indicating a problem to anyone who looked closely at the data.

For Version 1 of the system I would propose to only track tires as we are mostly looking for hard data such as milage. If that works well, V2 can expand into more "fuzzy" data such as helmet quality etc.

-Spawn
Old 04-07-2003, 06:02 AM   #15
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Default Re: Java or Bust!

P.S. let me know what you want before Friday, so I can plan the weekend!

-Spawn
Old 04-07-2003, 06:19 AM   #16
gooseman_1
Founding Member

They work fine for me and I'm one of those who had problems with the 600 shootout! (different problem, I know) And I only have IE 5.0 too..........Maybe a firewall blocker as someone suggested.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:59 AM   #17
SuperBill
Founding Member

Great Idea. Good luck!
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #18
Jakh77
Founding Member

That would be it. Turned off the ole' firewall and the ads have shown themselves. I thought that they may have built an actuall FORUM for MO users to comunicate and sell things with each other. Silly me, they were just a bunch of crappy ads that I don't want to look at anyways. At least I know I'm not missing anything. One day MO will realize that they NEED a forum, if they want people to keep their subscriptions. It's really the only thing that seperates a web based magazine from the print, besides a few video clips and a few extra pictures. If all the people who have subscribed can't talk with each other openly then it's kind of pointless. At least it's only 11 bucks a year.
Jakh77 is offline   Reply With Quote