Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-26-2003, 11:54 AM   #41
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: BURNS ON BRINK OF MENTAL COLLAPSE

Yup, you're screwed, all right. The guy that told you to whang on the end of the bolts with a punch may be your only hope, other than getting out your money gun and shooting a lot.

I learned that trick in the oil fields, and it some-times works, but then they're not embedded in a costly engine either. Or at least one that I bought with my own money. Have you given any thought to divorce?
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2003, 12:00 PM   #42
oldbluegone
Founding Member

Is is a shame you don't live in Arkansas. I have several cousins that could fix your Mercedes in half an hour and make it look like it took them all day long...

The person who suggested "snapping the wrench" is your best bet. Penetrating oil won't help.

Then again, my cousins use impact wrenches for every bolt on a car and this method seems to work no matter what nationality your ride is.
oldbluegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 01:00 PM   #43
jstrain
Founding Member

I've found that beer really helps with these kind of problems. The bigger the problem, the more beer is needed.
jstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 01:31 PM   #44
merv
Founding Member

So had the car developed a problem or did you just click over the magic 100,000 miles? If so I would have gone with the "sell it to another sucker" option. Otherwise keep battling with help of the suggestions above.

Or you could emigrate to New Zealand and buy a cheap second hand decent Japanese car down here.

Cheers

Merv.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 01:41 PM   #45
Agent0090
Founding Member

It's never a shame to not live in Arkansas.
Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:09 PM   #46
justaspeedfreak
Founding Member

How can a smoldering heap of rubble collapse? Doesn't a "mental state" have to be standing, intact before it can collapse? Please check and make sure you used the correct tense in your title...
justaspeedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:21 PM   #47
crankin500
Founding Member

Default 12 Point Bolts....

I assume you are talking about 12 point bolt heads and not torx. Like other German made things, they are probably "torque to yeild" head bolts (tighten to x ft.lbs. and then so many degrees). So, they will need to be replaced with new ones. As others have said, get a big solid breaker bar, 3/4" drive that wont flex, and push really hard. Don't worry about breaking the bolts off, they are probably pretty strong. If not, then all of that "over engineering" is just a pile of horse crap. Of corse, if it were engineered correctly you wouldn't be doing the job to begin with. Damn engineers! I hope they don't bring back the square wheel.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:38 PM   #48
Hadji
Founding Member

Default ROTFLMAO!

And cuss him on the way out!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:57 PM   #49
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: 12 Point Bolts....

what are you saying man? Torx isn't the right bit? It fits, more or less...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:59 PM   #50
DDBCretin
Founding Member

Default Re: The answer is....

Glad to see there are others out there that subscribe to my methods.

After kicking it give it a couple of really hard whacks with whatever you happen to be holding at the time. That breaker bar should do just fine. This won't have any affect on the stuck bolts but it will make you feel much better and will scare away everyone annoying you with "helpful" advice. Then you can sit back and figure how to get the bolts out and fix whatever it is you just smashed the ***** out of with that breaker bar. Good luck.

DDBCretin is offline   Reply With Quote