Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-25-2003, 10:22 AM   #1
piinob
Founding Member

Default Re: Green Eggs and SPAM

On screen are the E-mail addresses of all posters to the board....duh, wonder where they get the addresses.
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #2
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I think that's why they allow you to post a fake email on screen, to avoid this very thing.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:35 AM   #3
rsheidler
Founding Member

What? You mean tiresmoker@bigspeedingtickets.com is not your real e-mail address? I'm disillusioned!

I think that a lot of the spam is sent to randomly generated e-mail addresses. I once opened a hotmail address for a colleague, and before she had sent an e-mail message to anyone, or given it to anyone, she had e-mail offers to get bigger tits and a longer ****. (Gotta think that the market segment interested in both would be a bit limited, but what do I know?)
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:06 PM   #4
staff
Founding Member

wakked1, you're using a large DNS service and another large name-signup service, which means you probably don't have your own MTA online and are using a public one, look to them to see if they're selling them off.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
Betamax
Founding Member

I want to get sexed up tonight with no waiting...where do I find these ****s?
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
layback
Founding Member

me too
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:21 PM   #7
gasspasser
Founding Member

My wife gets emails all the time on how to make her penis larger. Yikes!!!
gasspasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

If I could get both I'd never leave the house!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 04:42 PM   #9
cornercarver
Founding Member

I own my own domain name and I routinely use custom usernames when signing up for stuff so that I can track spam origins when it comes in. There is no way for my domain provider or anyone else to sell specific addresses, since my mail account sends anything sent to my domain to my account. I name my 'false' accounts in ways that would be pretty hard to guess, such as no_MO_spam@mydomain.com. If I get mail to that address, I can be pretty sure that they saw the address I gave to MO at some point.

However, doesn't 'my_username at motorcycle dot com' actually get forwarded to the email that I signed up with? If so, then anyone could troll the discussion pages, extracting usernames and then send spam via my motorcycle.com address. The only way to stop this would be to disable motorcycle.com mail forwarding.

If mailing to username@motorcycle.com doesn't forward to the registered email address, then someone has compromised your security or an employee has sold your address list out from under you. Either that, or some spammer has devoted the time and energy to attempt to guess at usernames, and noone would waste the energy. Of course, all this assumes that the complaining user did pick a unique username.

I suppose it is possible that whoever hosts your domain email makes a record of any usernames that are used in incoming mails for a particular domain and then sells them, but that seems unlikely, since it would only cause paying customers to leave the service for a competitor (of which there are many). Besides, they could just sell your main email address. Nobody is paying to get multiple addresses that all resolve to the same pair of eyeballs!

cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote