Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-17-2003, 07:38 AM   #1
rich_lindley
Founding Member

Default Re: Which bike to buy: CBR600F4i or SV650?

have you considered a crf 450? or a road star warrior?

anyway, both great bikes, go sit on em and try and ride em, id buy the one that feels most comfortable
rich_lindley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2003, 07:41 AM   #2
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

If I was using the bike for mostly canyon carving I think I would go with the CBR, that's what it was designed for. For all around use, commuting, cruising around town and some canyon carving, the SV.
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:44 AM   #3
dnakase
Founding Member

I think it depends on at what point you want to slow down from coming into the turn.

The SV tops out around 123-130. Where the CBR is good for another 20 or so mph.

Both should hold high cornering speeds and he CBR would out run the SV eventally coming out of the turn.

The SV is my personal favorite since I own one. There is nothing like a V-Twin.

I'm sure there will be many more opinions, pro & con.
dnakase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:45 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

I'd buy the SV650 without question. It's power delivery is much more usable, it's lighter, there is a load of aftermarket accessories for relatively less cost and it's far more comfortable. Engine longevity is better too.

With the SV650 rather than the SV650S you can add your own fairing, change handlebars, put on clip ons, etc and much more easily adjust it to your needs than the CBR.

Plus, it doesn't become "obsolete" every year.

Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:46 AM   #5
AUDIKRIS
Founding Member

I had an F4i.. and loved the bike. I put about 4000 miles on it in 3 months of recreational riding. The longest trip I took was about 500 miles in one day, and it was pretty comfortable for the whole thing. I also did a lot of very spirited riding, and it's a great handling bike that will keep up with a lot of the 750's and 1000's out there... I topped it out at 162mph. It's a great bike, started with no problems everyday I needed it, and was always happy to perform. Unfortunately, my bike grew legs and decided to leave.... so I bought a ZX-7r... but I was really looking hard at the new Honda 600rr. Hope this gives you some insight... I really loved the bike.
AUDIKRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:49 AM   #6
Gabe
Registered Member

Default MR. ALLCAPS OPINION

I WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDER GETTING A LITTLE GIRL BIKE LIKE THE SV650 BECAUSE IT ONLY GOES 130 AND YOU CAN'T POWER WHEELIE IT IN 5TH GEAR SO WHAT'S THE POINT? THE F4I IS A LITTLE BETTER BUT IT STILL WILL ONLY GO 155 OR SO. I GUESS THAT MAKES IT A GOOD BEGINNER BIKE, WHATEVER THAT IS, BUT YOU'LL GET BORED WITH IT REALLY FAST. PLUS, WHT IF YOU SHOW UP AT YOUR RIDING HANGOUT AND ALL YOUR BUDDIES HAVE GSXR'S? THEY'LL LAFF AT YOU AND YOU'LL FEEL BAD.

IF PRICE ISN'T A CONCERN, WHY NOT BUY A GSXR-1000? RIGHT NOW YOU COULD PROBABLY FIND A 2002 DISCOUNTED TO NOT MUCH MORE THAN THE PRICE OF AN 03 F4I. THOSE THINGS TOTALLY RIP! I CRASHED MINE IN THREE WEEKS (THAT'S WHY I'M JUST A BRAIN FLOATING IN A TANK AT THE MAYO CLINIC), BUT MAYBE YOU'LL LAST THROUGH THE SUMMER AND HAVE A GOOD TIME, AS WELL.

SINCE THE DONOR LIST FOR COMPLETE BODIES IS KINDA LONG, THEY MOVED ME INTO THE SUPPLY CLOSET AT THE BACK OF THE BREAK ROOM BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE COMPLAINING THAT THEY DIDN'T LIKE TO SEE ME FLOATING THERE WHILE THEY EAT THEIR LUNCHES. ANYWAY, WHILE THEY WERE MOVING ME SOME GUY DROPPED MY TANK, AND IT BROKE AND I SLID DOWN THE HALLWAY.

THEY SCOOPED ME UP WITH THE MR. COFFEE JUG AND PLOPPED ME INTO A TANK WITH ANOTHER BRAIN UNTIL THEY COULD GO TO THE TROPICAL FISH STORE AND GET ME A NEW TANK. THE OTHER BRAIN WAS A CUTE GIRL NAMED INGA WHO HAD A PRETTY BAD SKATING ACCIDENT IN GERMANY. ANYWAY, I THOUGHT SHE WAS CUTE SO I TYPED "I WANT TO GET WITH YOU, BABY" (THAT'S HOW i PICK UP CHICKS WHEN I ROLL UP TO THEM ON MY GSXR) INTO ALTAVISTA, BUT SHE DIDN'T TYPE ANYTHING BACK BECAUSE WHEN YOU TRANSLATE THAT INTO GERMAN IT MEANS "I WOULD LIKE TO RECIEVE BABY WITH YOU", WHICH IS A LITTLE FORWARD, EVEN FOR ME.

ANYWAY, IF SOMEBODY COULD TELL ME A GOOD PICKUP LINE FOR A GERMAN DISEMBODIED BRAIN, I WOULD REALLY APPRCIATE IT, AS THERE'S A CLINIC-WIDE DINNER AND DANCE FOR ALL THE DISEMBODIED BRAINS NEXT FRIDAY AND I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TAKE HER.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:10 AM   #7
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Agreed

The CBR and SV are different approaches to motorcycling. 600cc inline 4's are about going quick and doing your best Ricky Racer impresonation. Fantastic for track days and weekend runs through the mountains/canyons/country roads.

Bikes like the SV are about not being great at anything, but taking you from communting to racing to light touring. I have an SV myself and I love it. If I had enough money, though, I'd have one bike for commuting/touring and another for track days and spirited rides in the country.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:10 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default I thought you were getting a VFR.

Did you change your mind already?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:19 AM   #9
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: MR. ALLCAPS OPINION

Try this:

Ist ein ich nine flying brain?

Old 03-17-2003, 08:21 AM   #10
ducatirdr
Founding Member

GET THE SV

Then after you get tired of the near misses and close calls you can set it up for the track. The SV fits into a lot of classes and is a cheap bike to race. There are a lot of kits for tricking them out and they hold together in a crash really well.

The 600 is an ultra competative class that usually has more idiots crashing into each other than any other race all weekend. That and the fact that in two years they are getting beaten by the new models.

ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote