Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Which bike to buy: CBR600F4i or SV650? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1712-bike-buy-cbr600f4i-sv650.html)

maccasmark 03-18-2003 01:11 PM

Re: thanks again to all

I own a 2002 CBR600 F4i - and I love it.

Other than 1st gear, I rarely ever rev it above 9,000 rpm on the road. But on the track the rpm rarely drops below 9,000 rpm (I try to go to the track at least once a month). This is my riding style (stay alive on the road, go fast at the track). The CBR is perfect in providing these 2 riding styles in one bike.

But you definitely need to test ride both bikes, and ideally in the same environment(s) you are going to ride.

Most people rave about the VFR. But when I had a test ride at the Phillip Is track, I hated it. So you really can't judge too much on other people's opinion.

Having said that, I test rode the new R6 at Phillip Is yesterday, and could not believe how good it was. Much better than both the 2002 CBR and the old R6 (my partner has a 2000 R6). You may want to also compare some of the 2003 600cc offerings - may be worth the extra bucks.

rsheidler 03-18-2003 01:36 PM

Re: Right numbers wrong conclusion

KPaul

It is not my intention to get into a 4 vs twin arguement here -- both configurations have their pros and cons, and every true enthusiast should have at least one of each (and a big single and a 2-stroke). However the DUC SUCKS link you posted shows exactly what some of us were saying -- between 5-10 grand, the Duc has significantly more power and torque than the 4s -- above that, it gets smoked.

If you typically run in the middle rpm ranges, the twin will feel significantly stronger, while if you wanna wring its neck at the higher rpms, the 4 will feel stronger.

When you cut through all the other bull$hit, that is all it really comes down to.

Regards

Bob

rsheidler 03-18-2003 02:19 PM

Re: Which bike to buy: CBR600F4i or SV650?

I currently own a 1995 Ducati 900 SS CR extensively modified for racing (messed up a perfectly good street bike to make an uncompetitive race bike, but it is a lot of fun on the track).

I also have a 1978 Yamaha SR 500 cafe racer (my original road race bike) which is currently being rebuilt. As soon as I am sure I have the mechanical bits sorted properly, I plan to fit an aluminum "Manx-style" tank (like pplasm has on his bike).

Just got rid of a trashed old XR100 (my daughter's "learn-to-ride" bike. Looking for a pair of used dual-sport bikes for the next stage of her training and my retraining).

I am currently in the market for a good RD 350 or 400, or possibly RZ350 -- I love high-strung 2-stroke street bikes. Know anyone with one for sale -- preferably on the west coast?

I am also thinking about some sort of sport tourer (probably something like a used BMW Boxer) for 2-up riding.

I have owned one inline 4, a 1982 Yamaha Seca 650, everything else has been singles or twins (both 2 and 4-strokes). Except for the Seca, most of my time on inline 4s has been on the track, where they are great fun.

micro 03-18-2003 05:03 PM

Re: thanks again to all

IF you think your buddies f4 is so great why didnt you get one after you got rid of the 2002 ducati 900 sport!

KPaulCook 03-18-2003 07:10 PM

Re: You and Motorcyclist (mag) make a great point. Excellent bike

LOL I don't care what those other Harley boys say about you, you are alright Buz.

Betamax 03-18-2003 08:57 PM

I haven't given up on the Honda...

Don't worry, I haven't given up on the Honda. I like the Honda build quality, and what I've heard about its suspension and transmission. And both '02 & '03 CBRs are being heavily discounted right now...so the Honda still looks very attractive.

Also, as we only have the SVS650 here in Canada, I suspect that the ergonomics might favor the CBR. A test ride will tell all...

longride 03-19-2003 05:09 AM

Re: Rebuttal 600 Supersports are the best buy in motorcyling.

Total and complete bullshyt posted 2 times. 600's have THE WORST real world power of any motorcycle I can think of, bar none UNLESS YOU ARE OVER 9 GRAND, and go out of style faster than pet rocks. Go trade yours in and find out. The ONLY REASON they sell well is kidsquids can afford one, and can get insurance on them. All the kidsquids I knew wanted a 900 or 1000, but cannot be insured, so they bought a 600. The better choice for every day riding is the SV 650. Not even a contest if you include all the ways you can use it. IF you wanted a bike for ONLY CANYON CARVING, then the CBR is better, and ONLY if you rev it past 8000 rpm, which you seem too chicken to actually do. Why don't we saddle up and I can show you how to ride a 600 and then you can go clean your pants out when you get home. Why brag about all the power your bike has if you never use it? I have a 900 Ninja and the acceleration sucks at 4 grand, average at 6 grand and at 8 and up starts to really move. I actually use my bike. Your 600 is worse than that at all rpm's. I rode 600's and would never own one because I don't want to downshift 3 times every time I want to get strong acceleration. Wake up and go buy a twin.

tumbler 03-19-2003 05:35 AM

Sorry to get in the middle of your guys rantings, but I think so things are being over-looked. Progressive doesn't care if you have a 600, 750, or 1000 a sport bike is a sport bike to them. I have ridden an sv and I own a 600 I-4, and I prefer the, as others might, builds it power as rpms go up. The sv felt twitchy on the throttle, which is something that I don't want to deal with in "real world" riding. Oh and if I keep my 600 above 9k in any gear other than 1st = speeding ticket, above 9k in anything higher than 2nd = taking the bus to work. I like hitting the twisties as much as the next sport biker, but I don't want to lose my riding previledges for it.

captainwhoopass 03-19-2003 08:56 AM

Re: Defending the CBR

You are confusing two completely different things. The race engines in a racebike are quite a bit different than the ones in a streetbike. Do you really think the engine in a factory 600 Supersport reacebike is in the same state of tune as one you buy off of a showroom floor? If so, you are sadly mistaken. Race engines are specifically built for one thing-power. The reason engine durability on a racebike isn't good enough for street use is because that's not what it is designed for.

The streetbike engines, however, are rigorously tested by each factory to conform to pretty strict durability requirements. They have to be as durable as they can be for product liability reasons. I remember reading a story describing Honda's durability tests- they run the bike on an dyno at peak torque and horsepower levels for 8-12 hours at a time. Any suggestion that a motor subjected to testing like that is less durable than any other streetbike motor is bullsh!t.

Betamax 03-19-2003 10:17 AM

Also sorry to get in the middle of your private little battle, but...

I think the twin vs. four 'rivalry' here is a bit overblown. The SV650 isn't a powerhouse, so if I'm riding along 3 gears above the powerband (as per your example), I'll still have to downshift.

And you know what? I don't mind doing that. Nor do I mind turning the throttle a couple of centimeters if I want more power. If I need higher revs for power, I'll give it more revs.

Shifting and revving are part of the fun of riding a motorbike. Why do V-twin owners invariably talk about downshifting and revving as though they were a problem? Are they just lazy? Maybe they'd be happier with a twist-and-go bike, but not me.

Also, 600 sportbikes are the most popular sportbikes here in BC, and our insurance system is state-run and anyone can get insurance on a liter-bike if they want it. People here buy 600's because they want 600's.