Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-17-2003, 06:40 PM   #61
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Give me a break what a cop out

Yes race engines need to be rebuilt. However, given that the race engine may have lighter pistons, connecting rods, etc. is the reason. Also if you took the SV-650 ran it maxed out all the time would it have the same life. Come on longride we want facts and data.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2003, 07:08 PM   #62
Betamax
Founding Member

Default thanks very much for the comparo

This is the kind of info I was hoping to get from posting my question...something that I wouldn't have thought of researching myself; but now that I see it, I recognize how valuable it is.

When I posted the question, I was leaning toward the CBR, but now I'm leaning toward the SV. I dont' intend to ever race either one, and I ride more at a 80-90% pace rather than full-out gonzo, so the SV should be more than enough.

However, I do prefer the build quality of the Honda, and as people here pointed out, it's a better package "out-of-the-box", without a lot of tinkering...and I work long hours and when I'm off work I'd rather be riding than tinkering.

I also appreciate your suggestion re. the YZF and I'll take a closer look at that bike again before I make my final decision.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:11 PM   #63
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Right numbers wrong conclusion

OK my ZX-6R is much better under 9000 than the CBR see link If fact my bike has a dip at 9000. However, if low end torque was everthing the Duc 748 would win the Superport Championship hands down. See next link Duc Sucks . [b] My point is that you don't have rev the bike to the moon, 9000 rpm, to move in the real world. I admit that the torque on my ninja explains why I can keep it in the 6000-9000 range on my favorite twisty. But to say to someone you have to keep a CBR at 9000 to move quickly is just bull. V-Twin propaganda
Old 03-17-2003, 07:14 PM   #64
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: good memory...and yes...

LOL. Almost...

In retrospect, the VFR is almost too smooth at high speed...my usual 'speed cues' of wind resistance and vibration were so reduced that it was hard to go slow on that bike. Even after almost parking it in the minivan (LOL) I still found it almost impossible to slow down to near-speed-limit speeds.

So maybe I'm better off with something a little less smooth...
Old 03-17-2003, 07:24 PM   #65
Mahnken
Founding Member

Default Re: Which bike to buy: CBR600F4i or SV650?

Besides sitting on them, look at the maintenance. How much time are you willing to spend on keeping the bike in tune, or pay someone. Things to look at are how often do the valves need to be adjusted, synch the fuel injection (or carbs), if it's chain driven you need to lube it about every 300-500miles (about every other tank). You can get the hottest bike out there but can you afford to keep up on the maintenance.

Keep in mind that no matter what the bike is, it'll always get beat by another bike. It all depends on rider skills. Someone who knows the road like the back of his hand and knows his bike can take a 600cc on his 250cc.

ps. I prefer the F4i but that's only because that's where my interests lye.
Mahnken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #66
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Rebuttal 600 Supersports are the best buy in motorcyling.

Look at my post above. I also think my chart on the CBR may be old. But believe me you don't have to rev a CBR to 9000 to go fast. 600 Supersports are overbuilt for the street. My reasoning is a follows. When you get to ride a CBR you will see that you will have plenty of power even low. 600 supersports have better torque curve than 750s 10 years ago. When you get up to 9000 rpm you are in a different world "hyper space". Longride makes it sound like you have to keep it above 9000 nonsense. Because the 600 supersport class is hypercompetitive that makes them superfast, super reliable and superb at turning and stopping. If they aren't they won't be competitive. The Honda was at the top of its class last year. The Honda gives you room to grow. i.e. you won't out grow it too quick. Hondas will have better resell value. The fit and finish on my friends Honda is better than my Kawasaki. I think the SV650 is a good bike but I would get the best bike for your dollar the CBR.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:29 PM   #67
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Rebuttal 600 Supersports are the best buy in motorcyling.

Look at my post above. I also think my chart on the CBR may be old. But believe me you don't have to rev a CBR to 9000 to go fast. 600 Supersports are overbuilt for the street. My reasoning is a follows. When you get to ride a CBR you will see that you will have plenty of power even low. 600 supersports have better torque curve than 750s 10 years ago. When you get up to 9000 rpm you are in a different world "hyper space". Longride makes it sound like you have to keep it above 9000 nonsense. Because the 600 supersport class is hypercompetitive that makes them superfast, super reliable and superb at turning and stopping. If they aren't they won't be competitive. The Honda was at the top of its class last year. The Honda gives you room to grow. i.e. you won't out grow it too quick. Hondas will have better resell value. The fit and finish on my friends Honda is better than my Kawasaki. I think the SV650 is a good bike but I would get the best bike for your dollar the CBR.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:19 PM   #68
shaneking
Founding Member

Default Re: Which bike to buy: CBR600F4i or SV650?

They are both going to be great bikes, just different from each other. If it comes down to all other things being equal the best way to decide is which one vibrates the most when you stand next to it in the showroom? That is the bike you should get. Anybody who claims definitively that one is better than the other is full of crap and full of themselves.

Just figure out which one makes you smile the most when you look at it.
shaneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:54 PM   #69
Betamax
Founding Member

Default thanks again to all

I'm surprised at (and appreciative of) the number of posts my question has generated, with excellent advice from many different people.

But I'm still undecided, because both bikes have their merits. From what I've read here, I've learned that the SVS is a great all-rounder; it has more usuable power around town and is a lot of fun. The CBR is also a good all-rounder and fun, but also a bit more focused with better high-end power, and it has Honda's excellent build quality.

But a test ride should decide it, so I will soon test ride both the CBR and the SVS650. There's a motorcycle 'superstore' just outside of town---they carry Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis and Ducatis---and I called them and confirmed they have both a demo CBR & SVS available, so I can ride them back to back. Unfortunately, the '03 SVS's aren't coming in till April/May, but an '02 SVS should give me enough of a feel for it to decide.

Also unfortunately, the forecast is for rain for the next few days. Figures. But I will test ride both within a week and I'll post my decision here afterward, if anyone's interested in reading it.

Also, some people have assumed I might be new to riding, but I've got a couple of years experience. I'm now riding a Honda Magna, and I owned a couple of smaller bikes before that. The Magna is fast and nimble for a cruiser, but I want something lighter and more flickable. I bought the Magna a year ago to ride across Canada from coast to coast---which I did last summer and it was great, but I'm not ever going to do a 9,000-mile tour like that again, so I want something that I can ride locally around the mountains and maybe tour for a long weekend or so, but that's all.

The 600/650 size feels right for me, and the CBR and SVS both seem to provide great sport riding while still allowing for relatively comfortable sport touring. Thanks to what I've learned here, I'm now leaning a bit more toward the SVS, but a test ride should help me make my final decision.

Thanks to all who posted!
Old 03-17-2003, 10:59 PM   #70
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: MR. ALLCAPS OPINION

LOL. TOO FUNNY! YOU SHOULD WRITE A BOOK!