Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-17-2003, 10:45 AM   #31
Betamax
Founding Member

Default thanks to all who replied.

I appreciate all the replies and would like to respond to everyone individually, but I'm at work and simply can't.

I'll try to test ride both bikes before I buy, but I've sat on both and both seem pretty equal comfort-wise (here in Canada, only the SVS is available, not the SV).

So I'll think more about the points people have made here and factor them into my decision.

I'm definitely buying one of the two bikes very soon, so your feedback gives me a lot to think about. Thanks!

Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2003, 10:45 AM   #32
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Defending the CBR

"There you go again" Ronald Reagan voice. I asked for facts and data and you start attacking. Yes I have only 11,000 miles of experience. But you said the CBR is less reliable and I asked you to prove it or state it as an opinion (based on zero facts).
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:53 AM   #33
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Which bike to buy: CBR600F4i or SV650?

I sat on a YZF and it was pretty comfy, but somehow the bike and I just didn't click...I can't say exactly why, but that was my feeling.

But thanks for the suggestion.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:16 AM   #34
richardnixon
Registered Member

Canyon carving can mean several different things. Are you looking to really thrash the bike in pursuit of ultimate street performance? Are you looking to have fun at a 70 - 80% pace?

The F4i is a high revving inline 4 sport bike. It makes its power higher in the rev range. At lower speeds it will not have the punch or responsiveness of the V-twin SV650. For very high speed riding the F4i is probably the better choice.

The V-twin motor of the SV 650 will probably feel stronger at lower speeds. The SV will probably be less expensive to repair in the case of an accident (god forbid) because it does not have the expensive and fragile plastic fairing.

I felt like my 600cc Yamaha R6 was weak at low revs (below 8000RPMs). I did not like that I had to wring the bike's neck to make it go. When I ride on the street, even riding quickly, I like the torque bias of a V-twin. A 1000cc inline four sport bike is another thing entirely. The new breed of liter-bikes make lots of power and torque everywhere. I have owned both inline four cylinder and V-twin motorcycles. My personal preference is for V-twins.
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #35
Bigtime1
Founding Member

One word: INSURANCE.

Bigtime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: You and Motorcyclist (mag) make a great point. Excellent bike

You wouldn't have bought it. I tried to explain to the young squids when I worked in bike sales that the YZF 6000 made more power than the R6 up to about 8000 rpm.

They'd give me a blank stare and say, "I want an R6, Champions Edition if you have it."

But only Harley guys are posers, right?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:29 AM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: good memory...and yes...

and quite a test it was! You almost parked it in the back of a minivan if I remember correctly.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:29 AM   #38
tumbler
Founding Member

I just got a YZF600R about a month ago and I'm really enjoying it. It has just as much pull as a sv, after 4k, better suspension, I thought more comfortable, better wind protection, and most importantly 26k in between valve adjustments! Neither the cbr or the sv can come close to that. The biggest negative that I have found so far is getting all of that plastic off to do maintenance.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #39
KPaulCook
Banned

Default 26K for valve adjustments is great compared with

every 7000 for my Ninja
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #40
micro
Founding Member

For ultimate performance the cbr is the winner. For real world riding, closer to the posted speed limit the sv is more fun.I have owened over 20 sportbikes all faster than a sv but none more fun.You should ride both if you can.
micro is offline   Reply With Quote