Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-17-2003, 08:57 AM   #11
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Defending the CBR

Engine longevity?? What facts and data do you have to support this? I never heard this before?

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2003, 09:02 AM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Agreed Ditto

Well put. I have a ZX-6R which is great for twisty roads and commuting it isn't so bad. However, sometimes I wish I had a bike for commuting that was cheaper to operate. Given that my Ninja tires are more expensive and it uses premium gas.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:14 AM   #13
Oren_Laskin
Founding Member

Default Re: Which bike to buy: CBR600F4i or SV650?

At WSMC the novice middleweight races include both the inline 4 600s and SV650S. So no escaping the crazyness that way.
Oren_Laskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 09:25 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Defending the CBR

Well, how long did it take your ninja to blow a head gasket?
Old 03-17-2003, 09:53 AM   #15
KPaulCook
Banned

It didn't blow a head gasket. A shop foreman was trying to rip me off. It was fine. But we were talking about the CBR not my Ninja. Where are the facts to back up your assertion? Or is it just your opinion?
Old 03-17-2003, 09:53 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If canyon carving is the sum of what you want this bike for, the Honda would be better, I believe. Keep it above 9 grand at all times, and it's lots of fun. If that type of riding is not your bag, get the SV. More versatile, better low end, handles very well, and more comfortable. So it all depends on your style and riding habits. My choice would be the SV.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think if you look at the horsepower figures and how it would be ridden, the CBR is built closer to the edge than the SV 650. Edge SV650. Also, the CBR needs 9000 rpm or better to get good acceleration. The SV would be ridden in the midrange more often, taking advantage of the v-twin torque. Edge SV650. I wouldn't say either bike is unreliable, but ridden the way they are meant to be, I would say the CBR breaks first.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:48 AM   #18
VFRider
Registered Member

Wow. What a bunch of crap. I would say you're full of $^it.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:55 AM   #19
chudovische
Registered Member

SV650 has more useable power delivery and lower operating costs (tires, insurance). It is also much more comfortable in day-to-day riding. F4i is a much more solid sportbike out of the box.

If you like to tinker, get an SV and mod it to your heart's content: jetting, forks, shock, fairing, handlebars, rearsets, you name it. It can be a lot of fun, but if you'd rather spend all that time riding the canyons, F4i is a better choice.

But then you go to track days and there's nothing like blowing past the 'real' sportbikes on your lowly SV
chudovische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:56 AM   #20
KPaulCook
Banned

I agree with you. One could argue that the CBR is more adapt to be durable because of its racing heritage especially driven at limits. But it's only an opinion. Until one has facts on durability I say your are right longride is full of it and so is serasuzy.