Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-13-2003, 10:11 AM   #31
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Fair price, for a new bike?

The cost on any new honda can be pretty well estimated by multiplying the list price times 0.82. Honda sticks fairly rigidly to an 18 percent margin. Also, you can go to www.discounthondaprices.com and check out their price. Though they are in Alabama, they get a lot of business from Atlanta. That said, I would recommend that you support your local dealer. You're more likely to get good service that way. Also be aware that there is still a supply of 2002 model year VFRs out there.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2003, 10:50 AM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default I test road it.

Hey Bob... I just went and test road a VRod and entered the contest. I rode my Ducati to the dealer instead of the Glide because I wanted my "speed" impressions to be relative.

What a sweet motor in that thing. It's more ballsy than my Duc down low and still has a nice top end rush. The ergos are just weird though. I'm 5-10 and the forward controls are just way out there. I suppose after a while I could get used to the riding position and learn to rail around corners on it but it's no sportbike.

The motor rocks though, cheers to H-D.

Now print out your form and go do it too!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:03 AM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I did the Cycle Trader thing in August 2001 when I was shopping for my ST4. A low mile 2000 was going for about $9500-10,000 at the time. I found an ad at the very bottom of the Cycle Trader webpage for a 2000 for $7995. I printed the page and drove to the dealer who had ads for it elsewhere for $8995. I told them I would buy it and offered $7700. The bike had 4000 miles on it, plus the suspension re-worked by PPS, Forza pipes and chip, throttle meister, and a Ventura rack and the stock panniers.

Anyway, it was a total steal and I gladly rode it 100 miles home leaving my car in the parking lot.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:05 AM   #34
raghinii
Registered Member

i've been passively in the market for a VFR for the past couple of months so i've been reading CycleTrader every few weeks. In the bay area there's a shop in SantaCruz that is offering brand new '02 models (no ABS) for $7600 (plus fees).

other than that, lacycles has consistently really good out the door prices and they'll ship the bike. (the reason their prices are so low is that they're high volume and they can afford to. I really like the fact that they'll actually advertise a price which i'd buy the bike at. (as opposed to having to go in and haggle w/ my dealer for hours (which i'm not very good at and hate doing ))

further, even the "normal" local shops though are advertising at anywhere between $500 and $1500 off of MSRP.

this may be something to do w/ the Bay Area specifically because of the aftermath of

the .com bust and the high unemployment

and stuff.

in any case i'm definitely of the "support your local dealer" mentality if the difference is only a few hundred dollars. (unless your local dealer treats you like dirt).

raghinii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #35
Paul_Grimmett
Founding Member

I wouldn't pay retail for any production-line bike from any country, be it Japanese, German, Italian, or American. But that's just me (a cheap ba$tard).
Paul_Grimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:58 AM   #36
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: I test road it.

"The ergos are just weird though. I'm 5-10 and the forward controls are just way out there." I agree although I just sat on one didn't drive it. I am 6'0 but I felt weird on it. I was thinking if they built a monster type bike with it I might be more interested. But now the front wheel is just to out there for me.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:02 PM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: I test road it.

Just for fun go to your local H-D dealer and ride one. It's a fun bike either way.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:04 PM   #38
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: It's a matter of supply and demand

I suppose at 140 mph almost any vehicle could be defined as slow-moving. I hope you're not blaming the minivan for this one!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #39
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Holy Crap!

KPaul interested in a V-Twin? A Harley no less...run, hide, the end of the world is near!

Seriously, KPaul, welcome to the Singles and Twins Club!

Singles and Twins Forever!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:23 PM   #40
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Holy Crap!

Now thats funny. I was only interested in the bike as a concerned stockholder.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote