Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-13-2003, 09:29 AM   #21
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Let your wife buy it ... seriously

This is what I did.

Determined what bike I wanted.

Called around to see which dealers had it or could get it.

Gave list to wife. Wife started haggling. Soon $7800 price went to 7200. She loves this. I"ts a shopping thing I think.

Why have a third party negotiater? In my case I am too emotionally involved in the purchase. My wife was cold and could walk away from any deal. One caveot to this is though find a dealer you can trust that sells your brand to service your bike. You don't have to buy the bike from that dealer but in my case I bought Kawasaki and now get it serviced at a Honda dealer cause the original dealer was a jerk. So I don't have a optimal set up.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2003, 09:33 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Let your wife buy it ... seriously

I have to admit having the wife play third base coach is very effective. That way you can buddy up with the salesperson and be completly enthusiastic and let the wife play the heavy to knock some dough off the price.

Salespeople hate it when a buyer brings in a third base coach of any kind.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:55 AM   #23
donzi
Founding Member

Default Re: Fair price, for a new bike?

I was told 15%-18% in most cases. That was from a salesman friend who sold honda and kawasaki. He said H-d was close to 20%.
donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:15 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Cash doesn't mean squat my friend. Much of the dealers profit is made in finance. An extra couple of points packed onto the interest rate and an extended warranty sold make it easier for the dealer to sell you that bike at the "low,low price."

Typically more money is made on the back end of a deal than the front. That's why the finance guys make more than the salesmen.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:23 AM   #25
Eric
Founding Member

KPaul, I truly hate to agree with you, but my wife drives a much harder bargain than I do. She gets us great deals on cars and bikes. When she doesn't know what price to offer, she asks me what price I think would be insulting and starts just below that. I am far too spur of the moment for her.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:48 AM   #26
sarnali
Founding Member

My wife and I play that very well on cars, we do the good guy/bad guy on them then switch up and change roles, as a rule we research everything we can about the vehical in question, knowing more than the salesman about his products is a good psychological tool to use, so we don't get screwed too bad. With bikes I try to work up my trade in, rather than work down their price, but I usually wind up paying what they ask, I got shellacked pretty good on my Bandit, got a good price on my VFR trade-in, and a fair deal on the Bandit, but I got switched on the interest rate and length of terms, and being in a hurry I didn't catch it till I got home, snooze you loose I guess, I usually don't get slammed that hard, but they got me that time.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:51 AM   #27
Lowrez
Founding Member

When I bought my bike, I simply got a list of all the dealers in the area, phoned them up and asked two questions: Do you have the bike? I'm calling all of the local dealerships, what's the best out the door price you can give me if I come in and sign the paper work today?

After I got through the list I went out and made the deposit. The folks at the dealership were definately torn over the sale. They hated letting go of the bike for so low, but they knew I'd be a good customer.

Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:06 AM   #28
Betamax
Founding Member

Default It's a matter of supply and demand

This time last year, the 02 VFR's were a new design and dealers weren't willing to haggle. Now, some dealers still have those 02's in stock and I've seen them offered for 11-12% off the list price, a significant saving. So shop around for left-over new 02's and bargain hard.

The VFR is an excellent choice, but get the ABS. I took a VFR for a test ride recently and it was an awesome ride, very smooth, and it cornered beautifully. I took the bike up to 140 mph on a divided highway, then I came over a slight rise and saw that my lane, the right lane, curved off ahead. The obvious decision was to switch to the left lane, but there was a slow-moving minivan plodding along in the left lane. Yikes! So I had an opportunity to test out those ABS brakes and they worked amazingly well. Knowing that the wheels would not lock up gave me the confidence to really hit the binders hard, and I was able to slow down to the minivan's speed about 20 feet away from it's back bumper. Whew!

I wasn't sure about the linked brakes and the ABS before the test ride, but now I'm a believer. So get the ABS, it's worth the money and could be a literal life-saver, especially on wet roads.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:07 AM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

I just checked the availability of new VRF800s on cycletrader.com and found quite a few new 2002s (in California and elsewhere) for $1000-$1200 under MSRP.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:11 AM   #30
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Lowest price for a NEW 2002 would be $8200

Lowest price for a NEW 2003 would be $8700

Plus fees
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote