Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Fair price, for a new bike? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1705-fair-price-for-new-bike.html)

gooseman_1 03-13-2003 07:32 AM

Re: Fair price, for a new bike?

kbb.com, or any number of other websites or print books. Do you live in the U.S.?

longride 03-13-2003 07:38 AM

Chicago Cycle Center is one of the biggest ripoff artists in the land. All I can say is read your buyer contract very carefully and you will know what I am talking about.

rsheidler 03-13-2003 07:42 AM

Another reference to check pricing is www.cycletrader.com. I have never actually bought a bike through the site, but it is a way to see what various dealers are asking. For example, yesterday I checked the prices on V-Rods and found that I could get a low-miles used one for $15-17K and quite a few dealers had new ones listed at around $18K. None of these dealers were anywhere near to me, but if I were in the market for one, I'd print out the list, and if my dealer was askin' $25, I'd show him the list and remind him that I don't mind flying 1000 miles and riding my new bike back home to save $7000, so maybe he needs to rethink his price.

Won't work for really popular bikes, cause you either won't find any listed on cycletrader, or they will all say "call for price."

jsven007 03-13-2003 07:45 AM

NEVER pay retail is a good rule. Last year my buddy bought a 2002 CBR 954, during July, for retail price. By this time, the bike was almost a leftover and dealerships had tons of them in stock. After a little more research, we found that he could of saved $900+ if he had bought it elsewhere.

NEVER pay retail.

Buzglyd 03-13-2003 07:48 AM

Abe as a good capitalist I'm going to suggest you weren't "forced" to pay anything. Unless they had you at gunpoint, you paid the price because you really wanted that bike. Good for you. Over your lifetime I'm sure the extra couple hundred dollars will amortize into nothing.

longride 03-13-2003 07:50 AM

You meant "NEVER pay retail for a Japanese motorcycle".

everiman 03-13-2003 07:57 AM

You mean you actually believe that stuff about what dealers pay for new cars? Does Santa still come to your house? :-).

Da price of any commodity is determined by da laws of supply and demand. In other words, you can buy anything at all for the price that someone else is willing to sell it for, value has nothing to do with anything. So like the man says, shop around, it is not impossible to get a bike for less than the dealer paid for it, depending on the demand for that model, and how desperate the dealer is. OTH, if the bike you want is in high demand, expect to pay premium, maybe even over list price. Whyn't ya shop for a Vrod? A little birdy tells me that just about any offer will take one home.

Anton_1 03-13-2003 08:12 AM

Pay with cash. Even if the dealer says no to your offer, set a stack of hundreds on the counter. Its tough to say no to that.

donzi 03-13-2003 08:20 AM

I have been told by a freind that is a salesman that most bikes have between 15%- 18% margin in them. That means invoice on a $10,000 bike is about $8,500 give or take. Then there is usually a 1%-3% holdback which the dealer will get paid from the factory at the end of the year on all bikes sold. So on that same bike he'll make another couple hundred. On a japanese sport bike I would be looking for about $500 over invoice with no bull***** fees plus tax and reg.

Personally I like to haggle for a good deal but I think that means that whatever the price is it should be fair to both me and the dealer. I like to buy local and don't begrudge the dealer some profit cause I want them to be around. If a dealer wants list or close to it I would expect some extras thrown in or at least at cost.

TuneREX 03-13-2003 08:27 AM

As someone who is also looking at a VFR, I gotta say the prices are all over the place. In the Bay Area, they're close to retail, i.e. $9500-$9999.00, but I noticed a price of $8190.00 at Los Angeles Cycle Sports for a new 2002. Why such huge differences?