Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-05-2003, 03:41 PM   #71
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Motorcycling Image

Best advice you have ever given. Good job
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2003, 03:43 PM   #72
rubin
Registered Member

I think the "image" that really matters is the one *anyone* riding a motorcycle creates in the minds of the crazed and caged around us. It's up to us to stop perpetuating the fear and loathing many people have for bikers, whatever brand they ride. It's this sort of attitude that gets bikes banned from gated communities, causes states to pass helmet laws, and makes it harder and harder for honest bikers to get health or life insurance.

The world would be a better place if the guys with loud pipes, or the ones who pop wheelies in traffic, or the guys who race on crowded freeways would chill out a little.
rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:59 PM   #73
r1derbike
Founding Member

FJR1300
\'00 RWB R1 #34...\'cuz there can only be THE ONE.
\'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha\' of all modern sportbikes.
\'03 FJR 1300...\'cuz ya\' gotta keep HER happy.
Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:48 PM   #74
danch
Founding Member

Well, I was going to point out that the power-ranger gear is protective at least - then I realized that if protection mattered, an Aerostitch would win out, having pockets! OK, OK, I have to admit to being image conscious, too.

It's a strange day when I find myself agreeing with seruzawa!

danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:54 PM   #75
danch
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Leather

I don't believe in luck, either. That's why I wear reasonable gear and ride carefully (particularly in regards to staying out of the way of the cagers on cell phones)

Course, reading your posts, longride, I have a feeling you and I dress about the same on most rides...(speaking for myself - helmet, armored jacket of some sort, boots, but plain old blue jeans unless I feel frisky...)
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:02 PM   #76
machine539
Founding Member

Maybe this is an American thing, I dunno. After skimming through the article, I'm just wondering how anybody could ride a Harley "tough, aggressively"..

I bought my aprilia RS250 for two reasons - the first was that it's gorgeous, and the second, and 95% of the cause, is that it is *the* machine to have on the track. As far as a streetbike is concerned, my license is in constant danger.

My other bike, a '99 ZZR-600, was purchased purely for function. As such, it performs amazingly well as a streetbike and tourer. When the riding gets hard though, the centrestand grinds the pavement, and after that, it's the exhaust bolts (2 gone so far).

My next bike is also going to be a 600. Which one? CBR600RR? R6? ZX-6R? GSXR? I don't know. It depends on how they feel and perform. In the end, the looks don't mean anything when it comes to keeping the rubber-side down.

--Christopher
machine539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:15 PM   #77
machine539
Founding Member

Default Leather "space suits"?

And now having read through most of the replies, I must admit I'm a bit confused as to why people make fun of guys wearing full-leather racesuits. Colourful.. so? Easier to see. Uncomfortable.. well... obviously yours doesn't fit you properly. Hot... well, the pavement at 160kph doesn't care what the temperature is when you're sliding on it - so deal.

Leathers will help at any speed - keep in mind the padding underneath.. if i'm going to fall on my elbows and knees at 0kph, off my bike (with one leg underneath it likely), I'll choose leathers and racing boots over shorts and sandals.

Again.. sounds like an American thing. I've yet to hear one seriously desparaging comment from anybody here in Europe after 3 years riding. Maybe there's just a lot more lamers over there on your side of the pond?

--Christopher
machine539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 07:57 AM   #78
SRMark
Founding Member

Seems to me that, if this article disturbs you, you may have a self image problem. Ride, smile, repeat. Beats washing your hair.

SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 05:13 PM   #79
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Oh, OK.

I guess I can go on and ride another year without being in-style.

But next year, either that slammed 'Busa and a latina girlfriend... or a clapped-out fat boy with a 3/4 drunk ex-stripper on the back. Yeah that's the ticket.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:00 AM   #80
ridinsince59
Founding Member

Don't forget- to get the complete "bad-boy hd image", she'll need to be a "heavily tatooed 3/4 drunk ex-stripper on the back".
ridinsince59 is offline   Reply With Quote