Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-05-2003, 07:17 AM   #51
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycling Image

Most of the Harley riders I see are fat accountants and lawyers wearing Motor Clothes and fringed arm chaps. It seems they were persuaded into riding bikes in the hope of finding the leather-clad petite blonde in the article. Alas, she's only in the ad man's imagination, not in the reality.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2003, 07:31 AM   #52
tumbler
Founding Member

Amen! I got so sick of hearing, "What was wrong with the bike you had!?!" when I traded in the EX 500 for a slightly used YZF 600R.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:36 AM   #53
everiman
Registered Member

If motorcycling wasn't about image, Harley would have gone bust a long time ago. But image isn't all biking is all about, or it would have all have gone the way of the hula hoop a long time ago.

The bad ass biker, Xtreme motocrosser, adreneline junky sport biker, grizzled iron butt tourers, are all clearly working hard on their image, but the bottom line is still that riding bikes is a major blast, and that is why we keep doing it. What's the alternative, golf?
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:44 AM   #54
Pacer
Founding Member

What about the Pope? You have to admit he rides around in a very savvy van. Really though, I agree. I know that no matter how hard I try I am still guilty. I am just challenging "we're all image conscious". There has to be someone who is not affected.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:09 AM   #55
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Harley Leather

Your argument has 2 fatal flaws.

1. You say you were toast if you were on a motorcycle in the first "unavoidable" accident. This leads me to believe that gear wouldn't have helped anyway. You made a convincing case for not riding at all. Not an option for me.

2. You somehow believe that dressing up every day for these "unavoidable" accidents is going to help at all. I've never had an "unavoidable" accident in 30 years driving, and 35 years of motorcycling. In fact, I have never been in auto accident. Maybe you would die anyway in one of these"unavoidables" anyway. Maybe you would just get your neck broken, and have the wonderful experience of crapping in a bag and having someone feed you like a baby. Maybe just a parapalegic from a broken back and you can wheel around on 2 wheels that way. Possibly just get your legs crushed and walk in terrible pain the rest of your life. Maybe you give up riding and get killed or maimed in your car. All real circumstances, gear or not, ride or not. Obviously, you wear EVERY piece of EVERY type of protective gear out there on EVERY ride, right? I would bet everything I own you don't. Since you don't (and I'm sure I'm right on this) that would make you a hypocrite to criticize anyone for what they do and don't wear, since you aren't fully protecting yourself either. After being a firefighter for 20 and riding for 35, I don't believe in luck. I believe in skill, smarts, and paying attention. For the record, I am not against protective gear or helmets. For the way most people ride, I would recommend them highly.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:12 AM   #56
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

You need to stay out of the garage, and quit staring at the Ultra. Pretty soon your going to stop shaving for a few days and start acting like a bad-ass biker we all know you want to be.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:33 AM   #57
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Leather

You forgot flaw 3 : If he was stopped at the light, what gear (besides helmet) would have protected him? He might have gotten punted off the bike and hit the ground at maybe 20 mph. I don't think full race leathers would have protected him from the far more likely outcome, getting mashed between two cars. Or are those little space suits crush proof, too?
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:37 AM   #58
Buzglyd
Founding Member

It's either that or stare at the Ducati and start wearing designer clothes, drinking wine, and pinching girls on the ass whenever one walks by.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:29 AM   #59
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Can I borrow yours? Mine are in the wash.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #60
sarnali
Founding Member

Since I value my dog more than 99% of the people I happen across, no. I'd just get some other graphics and glue a picture of my dog on it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote