Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Motorcycling Image (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1682-motorcycling-image.html)

chris_z 03-04-2003 01:53 PM

Re: Motorcycling Image

Ralph De La Cruz is just a bitter 'ol fart. Typical argument about how one generation is superior to the ones that follow it.

The story starts off..."Well in my day _______."

Perception is reality, image is everything...

r1derbike 03-04-2003 02:44 PM

Harley-Davidson?

American Muscle Motorcycle?

Heh-heh...heh-heh-heh-heh.

MUHAAHAAHAA! BWAAHAAHAA!

Heh-heh-heh-heh...heh-heh. (sigh...)

Outta here...Charles (viper)

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...19C25C12&cb=PA

luvmyvfr 03-04-2003 04:08 PM

Function over form

When I was a young man, I had an older man (early 30's) tell me, and I quote, "All women are the same in the dark." Guess what? He was married to what most would consider an unattractive wife. A beautiful person, very kind and sweet, and devoted to him, but not a pretty woman.

Guess what else? My wife is a beautiful person, kind, sweet and devoted. She's also a perfect size 6, blonde, blue-eyed and beautiful, and I wouldn't change her. So sue me, form matters at least as much as function. I guess that's why I also ride a VFR, and I wouldn't change it either.

I've always told myself, "It isn't an either/or world. If you search for a way long enough, it can be an AND world."

For most things, you can get the form that makes life worth living, and the function that makes it livable. Two very different and important components.

luvmyvfr

YZFknucklehead 03-04-2003 04:18 PM

When it comes to Harleys, image is everything! Harley cigarettes, Harley Ford F150 trucks, Harley garb......it's all a big show. As the pretenders ride by on their Harleys, I think to myself, "That fool just paid $20k for a two-cylinder lawnmower engine with wheels and a seat." I especially like the guys who don't shave for a few days. They look really tough when taking their Harley out for its monthly outing. They scare me too, but for a different reason. I'm afraid they'll mistake the clutch for the brake lever and run into me. You guys know who I'm talking about. It's all image. Now us sports bike riders, we're different...

Buzglyd 03-04-2003 04:30 PM

Re: Function over form

And I was always told, "no matter how good looking she is, some guy, somewhere, is sick of her shyt."

Jakh77 03-04-2003 05:22 PM

Isn't that a Sprite commercial? You all need to start reading Adbusters.

piinob 03-04-2003 05:25 PM

Who knows? Who Cares?........just ride!

piinob 03-04-2003 05:28 PM

Does anybody remember the Ole' Poop, and his Webley-Vickers 60-40? That was Image.

Gabe 03-04-2003 08:25 PM

Harley Leather

"MotorClothes" are cheaply made, poor quality, and of antiquated design. No armor, old designs, not even leather on your crotch (one of the favorite parts of my body). Plus a half helmet (if they wear one) that is guaranteed to fly off in a crash and not do a bit of good.

Sport-bike gear, is, for the most part, good quality, designed for crashing, and uses fairly inovative, safety conscious features. Yes, lots of bad-taste color combos, but at least they are visible.

I've crashed 5 times in my leathers, twice at close to 100 mph and I still wear them. If a Harley could even reach 100 mph, the rider wearing crotchless, thin leather chaps, a goofy fringed vest and a half helmet suffering a crash would leave a long, greasy smear on the pavement and probably not live to talk of it.

So much for image!

sarnali 03-04-2003 08:39 PM

I don't see why it's an either/or proposition, when I ride I wear a black leather coat and pants w/ armor for the protection, but I also think it looks pretty cool too, my red and black gloves and my red polar-tec fleece pullover match my red and black bike, and the coyote on my Nobby 2 Shoei looks like my dog, I wouldn't walk out of my house looking like a slob if you paid me. I think dress-up badass's on cruisers look pretty foolish because they're portraying an image and lifestyle that they don't live, but it's no skin off my nose what they do. Wearing Rossi rep leathers on their 954RR, or Foggy reps on their carbon fibre Ducati isn't going to make them any faster but at least you can see them coming. The pleasure of owning an R1 or 1000GSXR to me would be knowing that you had a beautiful machine that performed it's designed function exceptionally well, form and function combined. Everyone tries to portray an image weather it's fashion slave or shabby don't care or what ever, otherwise we'd all wear grey coverall's.