Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-03-2003, 03:42 AM   #1
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Re: Insulting Volvo SUV Ad

Sad to say, I guess nobody cares.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2003, 03:52 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh jeeeez. That's just great.

Doesn't buying a Volvo instantly morph the owner into a mindless wretch who hogs the left lane, always travelling at least 10 under the speed limit, a cell phone permanently attached to the head?

Volvos... the "safest" car, but always piloted (and I mean "piloted" advisedly) by the most kicked-in-the-head rude and incompetent drivers imaginable.

Heck with banning SUVs, ban Volvos and save thousands of lives.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:57 AM   #3
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

I saw this commercial and was very concerned. I am writing a letter to Volvo and I suggest MO or the AMA set up some kind of mass-mailing to express our outrage.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:04 AM   #4
VFRider
Founding Member

Strange choice by Volvo. Usually, they just run the biker over; itÂ’s much safer than trying to avoid us and possibly losing control of their SUV. I am actually surprised it doesn't say that in the owners manual. "If confronted by an obstacle smaller than you, just hit it. You're in a Volvo!"
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:19 AM   #5
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Just saw it this morning, and was about to notify MO. This is just another typical knock on motorcyclist, brain dead ad agencies, and a company that prides itself on safety turning its back on promoting safety.

They are not even smart enough to be MOrons
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:24 AM   #6
Greybeard
Founding Member

I was a bit PO'd initially, but then I thought "well, hell, if it get's people ( ESPECIALLY Volvo drivers) to start watching out for motorcycles, thanks Volvo!"

It's actually almost poetic justice when you think of it.

Volvo foots the bill for getting the word out to the brain-dead.

I love it!
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:39 AM   #7
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

I wrote to the AMA PR guy, Tom Lindsay. He sent me a note back that the AMA has received several calls/emails from members about this ad. They already contacted Volvo and received the following response:

"The "Motorcycle" advertisement for the XC90 was created to illustrate the characteristics of the world's first Roll Stability Control system. Addressing SUV rollover risk from an active safety perspective was a primary goal of Volvo in designing the XC90.

Volvo attempted to provide a demonstration in which a driver may need to use quick judgment to avoid sudden objects or other vehicles on the road, a common cause of SUV rollovers. It was certainly not our intention to single out motorcyclists or to portray them in a negative light and we deeply regret if the ad offended any viewers. Volvo encourages all vehicle operators, 2-wheel or 4, to operate their vehicles in a safe manner and to obey all motor vehicle laws.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and allowing us the opportunity to respond."

Old 03-03-2003, 04:46 AM   #8
triumph900
Founding Member

Of course, the most effective way of making sure Volvo understands your stance is to vote with your wallet! Of course, I would hope there are not too many Volvo-ites here!!
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:48 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

And I will write Volvo, to stop portraying the "problem children" of the road as the "solutions". Show the SUV driver as a mindless slug cutting off a motorcyclist, and then dropping the cell phone, while taking evasive action to prevent another "I didn't see him" accident. Reality check for Volvo.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:52 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

You're wrong. I care, and I back up that caring with action, and so do many here. Getting the word out is the first step, and then writing those involved and getting results is next. Look what happened to Senator Deadbrain and his organ donor law.