Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-03-2003, 12:52 PM   #51
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Insulting Volvo SUV Ad

Wait...you mean, like, Brittish judges? They have long wigs and "beauty mark" temporary tats as well.

'course, I don't know any, so I suppose it's *possible* that Her Majesty's government gives them all Heritage Springers.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2003, 12:56 PM   #52
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

"This...is an ex-parrot!"
Old 03-03-2003, 01:00 PM   #53
rsheidler
Founding Member

Gotta agree with you on this one. Maybe my paranoia gland is malfunctioning, but I saw this commercial a bunch of times this weekend, and, while I didn't pay a lot of attention, my impression what that they were drawing a parallel between the demonstrated evasive capabilities of the bike, and the claimed evasive capabilities of the new Volvo. I did not see it as in any way denigrating motorcyclists.

Besides, it is a step in the right direction for Volvo, who have always been the poster children for the "passive safety" at least acknowledge the idea that avoiding the accident is better than just surviving it. And the idea that a car might take evasive action to avoid hitting a motorcycle? What a concept!

Maybe the AMA should approach Volvo with the idea of pairing this ad with a "start seeing motorcycles" campaign.

Guess I'll have to go home and watch the commercial again to see what it is I should be insulted about.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #54
Buzglyd
Founding Member

My long haired pony tail wig hit the floor after that one.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:04 PM   #55
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Finnish what? I thought we were talking about Swedes.

I'm confused.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:59 PM   #56
sarnali
Founding Member

You mean the hair is fake too? here I was, thinking about doing the " middle age fat guy w/ ponytail" thing. So I can keep my buzz and just wear a wig to go look at Harley's? I checked out a new '03 black FXDX the other day, they wanted $15K out the door for it, I might have to re-think my Road Glide- Bandit combo and go with a Dyna glide sport-Bandit combo instead,,,,,,,decisions decisions,,,,,
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 06:57 PM   #57
Agent0090
Founding Member

Default Re: Insulting Motorcycle Ad

As a Volvo driver, I just wanted to air my disappointment in the new "It Drives So Slow" ad for the Kawayamazuki Z1000KZF-R motorcycle. The ad shows the motorcyle passing a Volvo XC90 SUV (with that special anti-role thingie) at something approximating 200 mph, on the right shoulder, doing a wheelie, with a half-naked, thong-clad swimsuit model on the back giving the finger to the two balding middle-age men in the Volvo. Not only was the Volvo driving at 10 mph under the speed limit, but it had its left turn signal on.

I understand that Kawayamazuki only intended to show the ability of its new bike to pass anything not moving at a significant percentage of the speed of light, but did they have to pick a Volvo to illustrate the plight of the slow and terminally boring? As a Volvo drivers, we're constantly getting ridiculed for what we drive. Full-size SUV drivers think we're pansies, NASCAR fans think we're snobs, others think we support terrorists, and now Kawayamazuki makes us look like we're homosexuals.

Well I for one am tired of it! I told my wife that as soon as the first kid left the house we were downsizing from the Honda Odyssee and getting an SUV. My XC90 is the best thing to happen to my self-image since I got my braces removed after college. I'm angry at the insult that's been hurled in our direction, and I'm, encouraging all Volvo drivers to not buy any motorcycles. Not even those funky-but-feminine light blue BMW's that look so nice.

I hope you hear me, Kawayamazuki, because I'm voting with my checkbook!

Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:30 PM   #58
buckfifty
Founding Member

Default And this is why I don't talk to other bikers.

You've got to be kidding me. Letter writing campaigns? Boycott Volvo? It's just an ad.

"But it makes motorcyclist look bad!" No, we make ourselves look bad pulling this kind of stupid ***** all the time and then whining when someone else notices.

"But it reinforces negative sterotypes about motorcyclists!" No, We do. Every time we pull a big hoon to impress some girl/boy/whatever on the sidewalk. Everytime we race out of a light. Every time we split lanes in ANY state other than California. We can't have it both ways, folks. We can't act like idiots - and we ALL do it- it's why we started riding in the first place, it's why we're not in Volvos to begin with - and then get upset when someone makes fun of us for acting like idiots.

buckfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:59 PM   #59
BadCop
Founding Member

Default Re: And this is why I don't talk to other bikers.

Now, you're not suggesting that we take responsibility for our actions, let alone BE a responsible rider, are you?
BadCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 08:15 PM   #60
Viffer-dude
Founding Member

I couldn't agree more mcjunkie! I find the whiney replies of some of our esteemed brethren rather ironic, considering the behavior of certain squidly types I see on a regular basis.

I do not, nor will I in the future, buy into the class-warfare rhetoric perpetrated on most of the brain-dead public that says anyone who drives an SUV is an evil, selfish, resource-wasting roadhog that's a danger to themselves and everyone else on the road. What about the rhetoric that says bikers are a danger to themselves and everyone else too?

If we buy into the evil-SUV mentality, then by default (lack of original thinking) we buy into the fallacy that all bikers are squids and pose a danger to society. Just by chance, maybe the behavior of the vehicle has something to do with who's behind the wheel/handlebar. Just a thought...
Viffer-dude is offline   Reply With Quote