Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-03-2003, 04:08 AM   #11
veronaisland
Registered Member

Default Re: Insulting Volvo SUV Ad

Nothing on the AMA or MSF sites as of yet, so I dropped them a note through their website. Here is the link.

http://new.volvocars.com/contact/intro_cust_service.asp
veronaisland is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2003, 04:10 AM   #12
Zapata
Founding Member

I think Jesus would drive a Volvo SUV.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:19 AM   #13
banda
Founding Member

A tempest in a teapot. Volvo doesn't give a crap about how motorcyclists see their brand. Volvo's target market doesn't include motorcyclists.

Think about it. The image of a Volvo, the pinnacle in passive safety, is complete opposition to the appeal of a motorcycle.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:23 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Doesn't the usual description of Jesus put Him on a bicycle?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:24 AM   #15
waepoint
Founding Member

Actually Volvo, the best technology for accident avoidance is buying a smaller, lighter, lower, better-handling car. Oh, and not being a dumbarse. But I don't suppose they could charge 40 large for that. Better to just portray motorcyclists as marauding hooligans to make every faux-ecowise soccer ho feel all warm and squishy about her brand new 4-wheeled lifestyle affirmation machine.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:25 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Short version of Volvo's response:

Fu@k you!
Old 03-03-2003, 04:25 AM   #17
mcjunkie
Founding Member

I saw that ad too. I really believe Volvo was just trying to show there anti-sway. And c'mon, what's with the righteous indignation? Don't tell me you guys don't regularly see squidly bike riding where you live.. Just a month ago some kid on what appeared to be an F3/4 blew my doors off, passing me (on my bike) on the inside of a highway on-ramp at probably 80mph+. I bet we've all seen plenty of in-traffic wheelie riding and guys running 100mph using cars like slalom cones. A small percentage of bikers have given us a pretty universal reputation for carelessness and recklessness that the Volvo ad campaign guys are taking advantage of.

So save the P.C. boo-hooing about being "offended" and crying that Volvo should remove the ad. Just keep paying your AMA dues and riding like you have some sense and let your actions and AMA lobbyists do the talking.

All this said, I do think it's highly ironic that they're showing a biker as a danger to an SUV when my personal statistics have the facts to be just the opposite.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:28 AM   #18
Blinky
Founding Member

Stop whinning. It's just an ad. Are you going to tell me you're lowering yourself to the insane P.C. level of the Parrot lovers society who sent in complaint letters to Quiznos for using a dead parrot in their ad? Or the rabbit lovers who did the same to Subaru for using a rabbit? Or the people who complain about a cartoon because they think it portrays them in some negaative light? Etc, Etc, Etc.

The idiots I see riding every day splitting lanes, cutting off traffic, going twice the speed limit, doing wheelies, etc. do more to give us a negative image than a single ad from Volvo will ever do. You want to know where Volvo got the idea from? Go to Palomar mountain or your local version of it and count the motorcyclist that get carted off in a medevac helicopter every weekend. We do it to ourselves.

Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:59 AM   #19
sarnali
Founding Member

I though he spent alot of time on his ass.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:03 AM   #20
Fangit
Founding Member

Default Volvo Ad is misleading too.

I think the Volvo ad is quite misleading. It gives the impression that because of the anti-roll system you can throw this SUV around like a sports car. However, the handling or lateral G force is still limited by the basic design parameters such as center of gravity, track width, tire traction, etc. All the anti-roll system does is stop you from getting to the a predetermined lateral G force limit by applying the brakes individually as deemed necessary by a computer. While this is certainly good for the Volvo driver it may not be good for everyone else.

Imagine another scenario. Volvo SUV driver with cell phone to his ear and a burger in one hand is driving down a mountain road. At one point it gradually becomes apparent to him that maybe he should divert a little larger percentage of his brain away from the conversation and eating to the other thing he is doing – driving. But it’s too late. He’s come in way too hot to a right hand hairpin bend. He drops the burger, brakes hard and yanks the steering wheel. A very clever computer in the anti-roll system performs several hundred calculations in a microsecond and determines that rollover is imminent. It applies the brakes to various wheels and the Volvo is forced to run wider on the turn on a larger radius, thereby limiting the G force and rollover is avoided. Just at that moment, a motorcyclist happens to be coming the other way and is hit head-on and instantly killed. Luckily for the Volvo driver, had he been in his previous SUV, a Jeep, it would have rolled off the road in an instant. And a motorcycle rider would have ridden quietly by not believing his eyes.

Fangit is offline   Reply With Quote