Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #41
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Bob's Picks

Hey Bob, as much as it pains me to admit it your first and second choices are the same as mine. To paraphrase an old saying, great minds think alike, and so do we. Now if I can just get you straightend out on you political views.... VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2003, 11:35 AM   #42
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Brand Loyalty

Nice choice, but try buying parts for it 20 years from now. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:36 AM   #43
dwr461
Founding Member

Ok anyone who's ever read any of my posts knows I'm going to go BMW. They don't change the design frequently so with long production runs there are lots of parts available. The engine will most likely last 200,00 miles if you do your part. Let's see nearly all the BMW s have waterproof hard bags, comfortable for trips, and fast enough to be fun in the twisties. Of the s that BMW manufacters, the R bike series is the easiest for the owner to do their own maintenance if dealer support isn't handy. The airhead beemers are the easiest of the R bikes to keep flying. Of the airheads I would choose the R100RS. But I value ABS greatly on my bike. So I would maybe go with the R1100RS. That way I could get my ABS.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:37 AM   #44
dwr461
Founding Member

I meant to type R1150RSA. I typed R1100RS by force of habit.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:28 PM   #45
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Ford F150 Harley-Davidson Lightning!

It stopped raining for about an hour yesterday so I ran some errands on my Ducati.

I have my son this weekend so no riding for me except for bicycle practice. He hit the deck pretty hard last week so I have to get him back on it.

Are you an LA guy Bob?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #46
rsheidler
Founding Member

Actually, I am in far northern California now -- almost on the Oregon and Nevada borders. My satellite tv gives me LA stations so that is what passes for local news. We did get the edge of the storm, but nothing like you got.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:43 PM   #47
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I still can't make up my mind but I'll try. I considered the BMW boxer angle (RT or GS) but I've spent enough time on an RT to know that however good it is, it's not the bike for me.

My Ducati ST4 is tempting. It's got hard bags and I could get the optional trunk. It's great for long trips or flailing away on a mountain road but I think 20 years with a 916 desmoquattro would get really expensive. I'm 38 and work out several times a week so I think I could handle the sporting ergos but I'm afraid I'll have to choose another ride.

I bought my 03 Electra Glide with the idea of keeping it forever, however I also plan on keeping a sportbike alongside her.

So, I would say top three would be:

Yamaha FJR1300

Honda ST1300

H-D FXDX (the aftermarket easily allows 110 hp and 120 ft-lbs of torque)

I think the winner is the H-D considering ease of maintenance and the aftermarket. The Honda is a close second because the ST line has a long production cycle and parts should be plentiful.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #48
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Living in exile eh? You'll have to move over to the Nevada border once ol' Gray Davis gets done taxing us to death. I guess the tobacco money ran out.

Happy Anniversary. My parents are celebrating their 45th tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:09 PM   #49
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Bob's Picks

Yeah, VWW, kinda worries me when we agree too often. Kinda like I feel when I realize that I have agreed with KPaul too often. Makes me feel that I need to determine if I may not have been taken over by aliens!

Actually, some of our political views are not that far apart. And some are. Either way, I usually find the exchange of views enlightning.

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:24 PM   #50
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Yeah, but...

Yeah, but you were thinking of those girls from the Budweiser ands and Wrigley's chewing gum commericials.