Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-14-2003, 08:22 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Brand Loyalty

Tough to chose. However the only two bikes I could consider because of parts availability would be either a Beemer or an HD. Since the majority of my riding is city with a lot of within- 50-mile interstate commuting I'd probably forgo the Beemers and pick a DynaGlide Sport FXDX, vivid black, please.

Your question is too tough. Can I have two bikes? Then I'll pick a K1200RS/ABS as my "backup" piece. Piemont Red Metallic, please.

When can I expect delivery?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2003, 08:31 AM   #22
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Easy, I'd just keep my '02 Red Rex (Kawasaki ZRX1200R). It can do it all. It can be modified to do it all better.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:37 AM   #23
Enrique_Cezar_Ruiz
Founding Member

I would still pick the Ninja ZX6R, my current ride. When I was shopping for my first bike back in 1997, I wanted a Honda CBR 600 but the guy was playing hard to match the price of the Kawasaki guy. He babbled on about how Honda was a faster bike, yadda yadda and that Kawis suck therefore the 1K price difference. I told him I will never come close to the potential of any of these bikes so what do I care. Besides I know what Hondas are all about as I pointed out to my car, a 1989 Honda Civic. After listening to him for a good 5 minutes, I just left and drove 50 miles across town and closed the deal on a 1996 Red ZX6R. I later dropped by the Honda dealership and showed him what I just spent my 10K on.

Over time, I learned to hate most of the sales people selling any of the bikes. They still think that they can sell their products by "bad mouthing" the competition. It doesn't help too that I favour the underdogs most of the time. I guess it reflects their training back in the 70's and 80's. They are so detached with who their customers are that they don't even know how to deal with young buyers. Also, I wish they realize that their potential customers are much more informed these days, largely thanks to the internet. To make the story short, I considered the R6 back in 1999 but because of the "typical" sales guy I just mentioned, I ended up at the ol' Kawi dealer closing a deal on yet to be released 2000 Silver ZX6R.

So there, I guess I became loyal to the Kawasaki brand largely because of moronic salesmen of Honda and Yamaha. I know how great their products are and sell them to me on their merits and not how bad the other ones are. I am about to buy my 3rd ZX6R and I even told the new guy I'm dealing with not to sound like a sales idiot (he came from the Yamaha dealership I dealt with in the past). He said "ok" and I guess the loyalty continues.
Enrique_Cezar_Ruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:37 AM   #24
lclark1
Founding Member

It would have to be a Honda. I have been riding my '80 CB 750F for a long while, I don't think the old gal will make the next twenty. Howerver, if anyone is listening, I would gladly take a gift of a new 919 for the next term, cause by new bike fund is about to be depleted by my daughters braces. The 919 is radical enough not to be boring, but won't hurt you to ride it as you age. P.S. it is snowing here also.
lclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:42 AM   #25
Thinc2
Founding Member

Easy - I'd go with a '78 R100RS.

In 20 years I'll still be able to work on it and parts will still be available. One of the only bikes out there where it's not unreasonable to expect it to last 3-400,000 miles.

A great all rounder with lots of soul.

Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:45 AM   #26
kellybear
Founding Member

Are we seeing a pattern here in these first few replies, as in "standard", that is, upright seating position, moderate-height bars, and conservatively-tuned engines? My vote would go to the Moto Guzzi California series, which, in many ways, can be considered "halfway" between HD and BMW. In my garage, I currently have a 2000 Jackel with a National Cycle Screen and Givi luggage. With its graceful handling, robust engine, manageable weight, and supportive dealership, it definitely works for me.
kellybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:47 AM   #27
soloyosh
Founding Member

I think something in an adventure tourer. GS, V-Strom, Tiger, Capinord.

1. With where things are going (read: hell in a handbasket) something with some off-road ability would be needed post nuclear-holocaust.

2. Advancing age would appeciate the easy steering that comes from the semi-dirtbike geometry.

3. All of the bikes have proven engines that they share with other models in their range.

4. They also have the cargo capacity to carry the pumping equipment necessary to syphon fuel from expired autos, and under ground tanks at abandoned gas stations.

Another bike to possibly consider would be the new KTM 950 Adventure. Its got the genetics but parts maybe hard to find (theyre hard to fing for an LC4 and its been around for 10 years)

Or if Honda imports the Varadero, which may happen, that would be my choice (reliability and your dealer usually stocks enough Honda parts to build a bike at the parts counter).

Brett
Old 02-14-2003, 08:53 AM   #28
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

Honda has long had the reputation for dependability, quality and fit-and-finish. I have had quite a list of Honda's dating back to 1965. I have also had a list of Yamaha's since 1979. In my opinion Honda has sat on its laurels for a while now, and I have watched Yamaha surpass Honda in all-the-above since roughly 1990.

I recently acquired a 2003 FJR (partly because of my great satisfaction with a 1990 FJ) and it would be my pick "to live with".
R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:54 AM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

Bimota SB8R? Man, for reliability (and likely future parts availability, ya gotta go for the V-Due!

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:06 AM   #30
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Post nuclear-holocaust? First I'd hope not to be in a PNH scenario under ANY circumstances (let the first one land on my head!) Secondly if the worst should come to pass history shows that the fast and the strong will rise to the top (if you're inclined to believe Mad Max and The Road Warrior, which if course I am) Big 4 cylinder Kaws rule the PNH road!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote