Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-11-2003, 09:41 AM   #81
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Is this a Motorcycle?

Well, I'm an EE and used to be an ET. We used to say that most electronics runs on FM.....F@#king Magic.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2003, 09:47 AM   #82
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Population reduction

Well, actually, I've considered that you can tell who is excess by asking, "Who would you miss?"

By that standard we would miss plumbers a lot faster than we would miss, say, Berkeley Professors or Politicians.

Burger King fry cooks come above Henry Kissinger.

Lots of possible material here.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:51 AM   #83
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Do I view malnutrition and lack of formal education as a benefit to perspicacity?

I don't think there is a relationship between nutrition+formal education and wisdom. I do however, think there is a link between malnutrition and supermodels and a definite link between malnutrition and motivation, to the extent that a malnourished supermodel, will be thinking about something other than the information being presented, in your hometown school.

Do you view malnutrition and a lack of formal education, to be things which reduce one's ability for reasonable human thought? Or just as a detriment to thinking the same way that YOU think?

Regardless, why are you splitting hairs on absolute intelligence? Is that really the criteria by which you will choose who gets executed, in your utopia? If so, regardless of what you think of MY intelligence, please put me in the execute column.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:53 AM   #84
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I'm with you on that one brother. However, do you and I have the right to be choosing, in the first place?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:04 AM   #85
seruzawa
The Toad

Seriously, no we don't. That's one Pandora's Box that we don't need opened again. We saw what happens when the State labels ethnic groups inferior in Nazi Germany.

What really scares me is that the vast majority of people who whine about population control only seem to be upset about what they see as "too many babies of color". There is a very strong racist element to all this.

Old 02-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #86
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Seruzawa, apparently you and young Sean are intent on argueing apples to my oranges. I NEVER suggested the taking of one human life nor has anyone but you brought up race. My point was and is that the population explosion,especialy among the malnurished and uneducated, has negative ramifications on us all regardless of race or national origin. Also it is obvious that both of you are unfamiliar with the otiology of kawashiorkor, the low protien starvation so prevalent in the third world. This type of malnutrition causes PERMANENT mental impairment. The next time you write please lose the change the dissusion with the old "race" canard, so that intelligent discourse may flourish. BTW never play the race card when you are unsure of complexion of your opponent. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:09 PM   #87
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Is this a Motorcycle?

no
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:01 PM   #88
rsheidler
Founding Member

One difficulty with your approach, of leaving the people in XYZ to their own resources in order for their population to stabilize naturally, is that the cultural and moral values of the developed world will not allow us to sit by and watch people starve. We were taught in churches, synogogues and mosques that it is our moral duty to try help those in need. The fact that we have to see them die on international television makes it even harder to stand by and not intervene. I am sure it was a lot easier in past generations when we only heard about children starving in Africa or India from returning missionaries or the occassional newspaper article. People thought about starvation mostly in the context of "finish your green beans, because there are children starving in China."

Unfortunately, the kind of aid that makes us feel best about ourselves, sending food, medicines and money, may well be counterproductive. I have seen studies from Somolia, Ethiopia etc (I don't personally attest to their validity) that suggest that in times of extreme drought, birthrates drop, but that as soon as aid arrives in significant qualtities, the birthrate immediately skyrockets, even though the underlying capability of the land to feed its people has not improved.

Biologist friends have told me that this is a typical reproductive strategy for many life forms in response to extreme stress. The best chance of passing on your genes is to plant as many as possible and hoping that a few actually make it.

Another problem with letting natural selection take care of "excess population" is that we must be prepared for some brutal warfare in the regions effected -- tribes fighting tribes,villages fighting neighboring villages. This has likely been the norm for most of human existance, but it is one thing to have people killing themselves off with rocks and sticks and still another to have them with the potential to get their hands on nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, or even more conventinal modern weapons where they can take the fight to the "haves" not just to the neighboring "have-nots."

No, within our cultural framework, it is more acceptable to rationalize a reason to kill "a million innocent people to get at the thousand bad ones that might harm us...." Looks like we are working ourselves up to doing just that in Iraq. For the record, I am undecided (and highly conflicted) in regard to that.

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #89
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Bob there is an excellent interview of Gore Vidal @ today's Lewrockwell.com. If you are "highly conflicted" about the situation with Iraq you owe it to yourself to give it a read. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:01 AM   #90
rsheidler
Founding Member

Thanks VWW

Frankly, I had paid little heed to Gore Vidal in the past 20 years, other than reading the occassional review of one of his books. He certainly makes some good points.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote