Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-10-2003, 09:04 PM   #71
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Is this a Motorcycle?

Lies, Damned Lies and Tree Huggin Hippie Freaks.

Lies, Damned Lies and Big Oil

Lies, Damned Lies and Tobbacco Execs

Lies, Damned Lies and Saddam

Lies, Damned Lies and 2001 Mustang Cobras

Lies, Damned Lies and My mom telling me I'd go blind.

Damnit! Everything and everybody is a LIAR!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2003, 06:17 AM   #72
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Actually I've got an undergraduate degree from Iowa in Industrial Engineering and a MSIE from Purdue University. I've also got 2 registered U.S. Patents.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:44 AM   #73
gooseman_1
Founding Member

*Every amp* of electricity used is generated by a power plant. Plants don't run at constant rates or produce constant power24 hours a day. The supply *must* equal demand at all times. There's no 'excess power' that when not used gets dumped. Electricity never "goes to waste" as you say.

It doesn't matter whether it's night or day. At night demand decreases, so plants burn less fuel. But if people start pluging cars in at night, plants would have to burn more fuel. It's an incredibly simple concept.

How much electricity do you think gas stations use anyway? Each one uses much less than the average house.

Playing devil's advocate? The Devil needs better help.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:54 AM   #74
gooseman_1
Founding Member

In New Hampshire you don't need insurance for autos or bikes. (That's why the state motto is: Life Free or Die) This is true of several other states as well.

Imagine a jaguar getting hit by a pinto. The jaguar driver is never gonna see any money.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:53 AM   #75
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Population reduction

As much as it pains me to give any political support whatsoever to BMW4VWW (motorcycle topics are another thing entirely), I have to say that I share his concern with the very high birth rate among those populations least able to provide for them. To me, it is not an issue of being unworthy, but rather of being unable to provide basic necessities for survival, almost guaranteeing a very high death rate. In addition to the extreme human tragedy of malnourished, diseased children, and the ecological damage caused by overgrazing, overcultivation and loss of native plant life, there is the political instability created by the growing gap between "haves" and "have nots" and the fertile recruiting ground for any number of extremist groups provided by this situation.

I don't have an answer, but I sure as Hell am concerned.

Regards

Bob

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:28 AM   #76
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Bob, as much as it pains me to have you make my arguement for me, I would like to thank you for your cogent reply to Sean's question. The one point that you failed to address, however, is the fact that the birth rate of most industrialized nations is falling below replacement levels while growing exponetialy in those countries lacking the wherewithall to feed and educate thier young. This dynamic is causing the average IQ of our planet to plummet, thereby making the problem ever more difficult to solve. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:52 AM   #77
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Sarnali, while I agree with your postulation on freedom from religion, your statement on the flexibility of our constituion is common amongst those who have failed to read said document. The constitution is flexible only in the context of a LEGAL amendment process. All of Abe's complaints center around the ILLEGALITY of governmental machinations which circumvent this required process. Do you really wish to live in a society where there is no outline or restriction on government actions? VWW
Old 02-11-2003, 09:15 AM   #78
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

So there is a socio-economic link to IQ? Whos IQ test are we using?
Old 02-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #79
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Sean, do you veiw childhood malnutrition and lack of education as a boon to one's ability for perspicacity? If so I will assume that you often went to bed hungry in your youth. VWW
Old 02-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #80
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Ok, instead of the one liners, here is my take on this issue:

If for example, people in XYZ breed at a rate that far exceeds their ability to feed themselves, the problem will take care of itself. We should keep our hands-off (but they can have Sally Struthers). We don't have the moral right to say that they are the earth's "excess" and kill them off. If we stop subsidizing their existence, they will either find a way to support their population, or there will be a natural selection. Sitting at your multi thousand dollar computer, on a discussion board about multi thousand dollar luxury items and stating that they are less worthy or less intelligent than you or I is simply asinine. Do we murder a million innocent people, to get the thousand bad ones that might harm us or threaten our way of life?