Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-10-2003, 06:13 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Is this a Motorcycle?

At the current and forseeable levels of technology the production of electricity for vehicles uses higher amounts of fossil fuels than just using a high efficiency gas engine directly. In essence you are merely shifting the pollution from the street to the powerplant nearby. In the process you are creating more CO2 and other gases than just using an engine directly. The amount of energy loses in transferring the power from fuel to electricity and then back to chemical battery potential guarantee this inequity.

Then add the problems associated with replacing and dealing with the lead-acid cells. These have to be replaced regularly, and at a fairly steep cost. Other chemical battery sytems like cadmium and lithium are incredibly poisonous. I like to think of what's called the "eighteen-wheeler test". What happens to your neighborhood when an eighteen-wheeler rams into Ford's electric van with the lithium cell that has to maintain a constant temperature of some 300C? You have to evacuate a substantial area and you will kill everyone who whiffs the escaped gas.

Unless we shift to some sort of clean nuclear power generation we'll gain nothing from electric cars. The idea of electric cars was promoted by environmentalist types who obviously had little undertsanding of the economics and physics of power generation. The idea stays with us mainly because it is politically unacceptable for these people to admit that they were wrong.

Maybe we should stop wasting a load of money on this electric car boondoggle and encourage industry to come up with new ideas, rather than use govt to ram bad ideas down our throats.

I'm still waiting for that Ice Age the eco-wacks warned us about in the 70's. Oh yeah, and I'm still waiting to starve to death like we were supposed to in the 80's.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2003, 06:14 AM   #12
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

As if the president has the power to mandate that private companies develop this stuff? Not under the rules. Of course no one cares about those anachronistic rules (Constitution?) anymore anyway.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:20 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

Looks like a car to me too, I guess we'll be dodging these in the carpool lanes now! Actually I thought these weren't allowed on the freeway because of not being able to reach the speed limit,But you're right, better these than SUV's. Republicans around here make Buchanon look like a lefty.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:31 AM   #14
Anton_1
Founding Member

I had the opportunity to drive one a while back. Those of us who test drove it now refer to it as a fiberglass coffin. It is highly unstable at speed due to the three wheels and the high center of gravity. It only has one door so if it tips over on the right side your f*cked. On the other hand, the zero speed torque of the electric motor makes for great burnouts.
Anton_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:31 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

You don't get it do you? If we want something we just get the govt to order it! Who cares about constitutional issues or even the laws of physics?

Jeez. Get with the times.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:34 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

As usual Seruzawa, you hit the nail on the head.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:35 AM   #17
Intersport
Founding Member

Is this a motorcycle? Can you split lanes with it? Lean into a turn? Wheelie?

Sure, it's a fuel efficient vehicle, so maybe it should be allowed in carpool lanes (?) But nobody's buying these things, so it's almost a moot point. I know a guy who's a vendor to Corbin Motors, and while he was visiting their facility one time, he witnessed a dozen or so parked Sparrows get blown over onto their sides by strong winds. For $14K, I'd buy a Kia if I wanted a car that bad.
Intersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:39 AM   #18
dave_arkle
Founding Member

No.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:54 AM   #19
red916
Founding Member

It's a car. It's not a motorcycle.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:10 AM   #20
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Let's not use the higher education system in this country to judge people. Degrees from Harvard and Yale are hard to come by only in terms of money and one's last name.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote