Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-03-2003, 03:54 AM   #1
HNH750
Founding Member

Default Re: The Ohio Solution

The only education needed is a trip to the morgue and seeing a head split wide open

after an accident without a helmet. I don't want to hear any lame excuses about a

helmet only being effective up to 20 mph BLAH BLAH it's my right BLAH BLAH. Bike

racers survive crashes of over 150 mph so just use some common sense before we

all lose our right to ride.
HNH750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2003, 04:13 AM   #2
DrkRzn
Founding Member

Education reduces fatally idiotic antics? That's a shock. Some learning time in a parking lot with a certified instructor on a tame bike just seems to make a lot of sense.

I think the 'throttle, brake, clutch, go work on it in traffic' education is simply beyond ludicrous. Everytime there's a motorcycle fatality in the surrounding area you can hear the town whisper about how dangerous motorcycles are. Let alone the fact that Charlie was running about 180kph in a construction zone. Charlie was dangerous, his motorcycle was the victim of his stupidity.

Now if someone would start educating cagers about the dangers they pose, the world could be that much better.

Just my $0.02

Regards
DrkRzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:09 AM   #3
bharriet
Founding Member

The article stated :

Participants pay $25 and receive four hours of classroom instruction and 12 hours of training on a motorcycle in a parking lot.

FYI:

The CHP approved program in California is called California Motorcycle Training(1-800-CC-RIDER). It is basically the MSF motorcycle rider course:riding and street skills (MRC:RSS) with a few minor changes required by the CHP. It requires 8 hours of classroom and 16 hours of riding instruction on the range(parking lot) and passing a written knowledge test and a riding skills evaluation. However its cost is about $200, helmets and motorcycles provided. Since this program has been in place motorcyle accidents in CA have decreased by about 73%.

bharriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
vfrroom
Founding Member

I don't imagine there are too many riders riding in Ohio right now with all the snow on the ground. Maybe riding only 6 months of the year has an impact on that statistical number.
vfrroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:19 AM   #5
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Ohio has the right idea: education is key. There's no question that helmet use decreases your chance of head injury *once an accident occurs*. The point is to avoid accidents in the first place.

That said, I realize a small percentage of accidents are unavoidable. Those of us who like to be prepared for what is beyond our control wear helmets. But to *require* helmet use for everyone? That is very un-American.

Now before people start flaming I'll relate what I wrote to Senator Hurt: There are an infinite number of laws we could enact which would save society money and *protect us from ourselves*. But at what cost to personal liberty? That is not the America that I hold dear; nor the one that the founders of this country fought and died to protect. They sought to forever protect our freedoms with the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. Sadly many of those rights have been slowly eroded over many years, and at an increasing pace in recent ones.

The simple truth is that the government *can not* protect us from everything; nor should it try. Ultimately we are responsible for our own actions as well as our own safety.

I always wear a full-face, DOT SNELL approved helmet, but that is my choice alone to make. Seeking to impose my values and judgements on another would be un-American and anti-constitutional. I don't believe that anyone who enjoys motorcycling, and the amazing sense of *freedom* that goes with it, would ever seek to do so.

Ride on, and hopefully, ride free.....

gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:19 AM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

interesting that Ohio doesn't require helmets, but does require training, and their fatalities are way below the national average . That shows accident prevention is key, somewhat obvious but thats what the politicos understand, helmets come into play after the fact, I think it's commen sense to wear a helmet, just to keep bugs, rocks and rain out of your face, not to mention keeping your brain inside your head if you do crash, It looks like Ohio is making an effort at least. Rider training is key.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:25 AM   #7
dnakase
Founding Member

What? A thoughtful, logical response to the rise in motorcycle related accidents/deaths? AND from OHIO?!

Seriously, my daughter did a report for a highschool class on motorcycle saftey and found that a majority of fatalities with in the 1st 6 mos-1yr of riding were people who were self-taught.

We need more rational, practical solutions and less hand wringing. Ohio, (thought I'd never say this...), I solute you!
dnakase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:08 AM   #8
Labrat
Founding Member

We actually have about 9 months of riding here, depending on one's cold tolerance. It was 55 yesterday, so I was out getting my riding fix. I took the course here about ten years ago, when it was an MSF run course. I don't know if there have been any changes made since it became an ODOT program.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:20 AM   #9
Paul_Grimmett
Founding Member

I don't think this is a requirement, but an option (and wise one) for new riders or for others who want a refresher. It also probably gives a small discount on insurance. I think the motorcycle endorsement test and insurance are all that is mandatory in OH, but I could be wrong.
Paul_Grimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:35 AM   #10
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default New Mexicans Arise!

Forward the Ohio Post to your representatives.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote