Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   The Ohio Solution (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1583-ohio-solution.html)

jmeyn 02-03-2003 06:38 AM

Re: The Ohio Solution

I don't think that global warming/cooling has reduced riding days 30% over the time that riding fatalities were measured. If so we're in even more trouble than I thought.

runner00 02-03-2003 07:04 AM

How about a 1% tax on bike purchases to go

toward state run hands on training, followed by a strict exam emphasizing defensive riding.

Then those that pass the exam get a 5 % insurance deduction. Also permit private instruction of the training program but standardize it for each state. Make it manditory for all motorcyclist every 5 years.

ValknMag 02-03-2003 07:33 AM

The course is not required. Only last year, a law was passed which allowed passing this MSF class (or MSF-style, at least) to take the place of the riding portion of the motorcycle endorsement process. I'm self-taught, but I want to take this just to see what I've missed.

seruzawa 02-03-2003 09:03 AM

Re: New Mexicans Arise!

I see you are a big fan of your State Senator, Dr. Hurt.

seruzawa 02-03-2003 09:04 AM

I see you are a big fan of your State Senator, Dr. Hurt.

seruzawa 02-03-2003 09:04 AM

It's not my fault!

The server did it!

longride 02-03-2003 09:20 AM

I sent a love letter to the wonderful Mr. Hurt. his reply was short and sweet. I think I got my point across to him. Hopefully the moron will think twice before coming up with moronic laws for law abiding people.

seruzawa 02-03-2003 09:36 AM

If he does that'll be the first time one of these neo-fascists ever has. They just never seem to quit.

NinjaPat 02-03-2003 10:04 AM

"How about a 1% tax on bike purchases"

We don't need any more taxes, please. We are taxed to death. The state would waste it anyway.

rsheidler 02-03-2003 12:32 PM

Dr Hurt Bows to Pressure

Looks like the pressure from motorcyclists (AMA, MOrons and others) has paid off. Following from the AMA:

NEW MEXICO SENATOR BOWS TO PRESSURE FROM MOTORCYCLISTS, WITHDRAWS OUTRAGEOUS LEGISLATION

PICKERINGTON, OHIO -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has announced that New Mexico state Sen. Allen Hurt (R-Waterflow) has informed the AMA that he will withdraw Senate Bill 239, which could have forced some motorcyclists to become organ donors.

AMA leadership learned of Sen. HurtÂ’s intentions this afternoon in a message which read, in part: "You win ... IÂ’m pulling New Mexico SB 239." Late last Thursday, the AMA had expressed its outrage at SB 239, which, if it had passed, would have allowed the harvesting of organs from any motorcyclist who didn't wear a helmet and was declared brain dead as a result of an accident.

"This victory demonstrates how powerful our voice can be when American motorcyclists speak together," said Sean Maher, AMA Director of State Affairs. "When New Mexico state officials received more than 1,100 e-mails opposing SB 239, they got the message, and Sen. Hurt acted quickly to withdraw his proposal."

The AMA organized opposition to the bill, urging motorcyclists to use the AMA Rapid Response Center -- part of the AssociationÂ’s website, AMADirectlink.com -- to send a message to Hurt and the New Mexico LegislatureÂ’s leadership.