Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-31-2003, 05:18 AM   #1
ShawnVegas
Founding Member

Default Re: Cannondale Update

Well, that's one way to start losing races.

If they continue making the ATV's, now that would be funny! Harley making ATV's! [sarcasm]Just imagine the styling wonders that Willie G. could work on an ATV[/sarcasm]
ShawnVegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2003, 05:23 AM   #2
jbusco
Founding Member

I think it could only bolster the market share for HD to a point of monopoly in a good way--much like Polaris or another giant General Motors. Harley is becoming the multi-conglom of the two wheeles indutry which would only improve the breed since HD has allways gone it's own way in terms of stylying,and now that they have found that quality is even more important than style buying out another american company and keeping jobs right here in the U.S. it would be a home run. Mix and match components between KTM & Cannon via Suzuki/kawasaki and you have an instant dominating force with many different faces!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:28 AM   #3
rsheidler
Founding Member

I have not thought through how it might fit strategically into Harley Davidson, but my first reaction is, YEAH! Go for it!

The Cannondale is sorta like an off-road Buell -- creative, innovative ideas that needed better capital and manufacturing expertise. We have seen the continued improvement if Buells, without losing Eric's vision, and I bet Harley's influence could do the same for Cannondale.

With the move to more dirt-bike based short-track racers, this might fit into their competition plans too.

A street-going SuperMoto style version of the Cannondale could be a good stablemate to the recent streetfighter-styled Buells.

I'll keep my fingers crossed,

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:04 AM   #4
intruderman
Founding Member

When a real American man wants to explore the off-road wonders of this great land, he wants to know that he can do it on a piece of real American iron, and not an atrociteur-cycle. He wants to fill his big hairy American chest with clean American air in the backwoods, where men are men and sheep are nervous.

That's when he throws his leather chap covered leg over a genuine Cannondale/Harley and kick starts his way into the American dream. All the while the Atrociteurs are quaking at the sound of his 125cc steed. Once again true men can ride the back trails with pride, and the atrociteurs run with their tails between their legs (not to mention the sheep).

They call me.......

The TrailMan

Old 01-31-2003, 08:08 AM   #5
12er
Founding Member

Polaris would be a better fit since they are already offroad focused with their quads and snowmobiles. Also since snowcross riders ride motorcross this would be a good sponcership thang as they could keep their same riders in the summer and winter. Just how deep are their pockets...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:11 AM   #6
ShawnVegas
Founding Member

Umm...I looked up atrociteurs and atrociteur on dictionary.com and it doesn't exist. Please explain.
ShawnVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:15 AM   #7
intruderman
Founding Member

Are you the only person who hasn't read one of the Highwayman's diatribes here? It's satire, a parody of his postings. See if you can find one of them and you'll see what I mean.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:19 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Don't quit your day job.......
Old 01-31-2003, 08:22 AM   #9
intruderman
Founding Member

to see some classic Highwayman posts, go to this link: http://news.motorcycle.com/user.motm...=TheHighwayman
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:38 AM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

I agree, but Harley has deeper pockets.

Personally, I just hope that someone with financial resources and manufacturing expertise acquires them so that they have a shot at success.

I'd be happy with either Harley or Polaris as the acquiror.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote