Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-31-2003, 10:19 AM   #11
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Re: Cannondale Update

Dang, where do I make my offer???? I'd do a better job managing them than you-know-who. There was a rumor out about 3 years ago that Cannondale was going to build a V-Twin streetbike. Watch out Buell Lightning, here comes the El_Flaco Furioso.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2003, 10:30 AM   #12
mconlon
Founding Member

Um... There are already Black and Orange dirtbikes out there, they are called KTMs.

I really hope this is not the case. I would rather see HD buy KTM--then they wouldn't actually have to build Buell a decent engine, they could use the new V2 that KTM developed. How cool would that engine be in a Buell chassis? I'm guessing very...

Whereas on the otherhand, what do they get with Cannondale? Another company with unique, but underperforming hardware.

OTOH, if they do, it could mean HD money trickling into SuperMotard, and there's nothing wrong with that.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:53 AM   #13
rsheidler
Founding Member

Hey man, do you have 3 hands? You said "...on the othehand....OTOH...." which either implies that you have 3 (or more) hands, or that you are now back to the first hand

Seriously, I believe that there was talk, awhile back, of KTM being acquired by Harley, but I don't know that they now are for sale. They are on a huge roll marketwise and Harley may have missed their window of opportunity.

I agree that I would love to see that V-Twin in a Buell. Guess I'll have to wait for the new V-Twin Duke sometime later this year (or so I hear).

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:00 PM   #14
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Wait as second. I thought, after reading the previous comments on this site, that Harley does Cruisers only because it makes no financial sense to expand into areas that demand updates, progress and change (aka sportbikes) every two years. Also how does this tie into there "core competancey" (or what ever the latest catch phase in buisness is). Last time I checked the dirt bike world is just as cutthroat. If they buy cannondale then they are right in the midst of one of the most competative markets in motorcycledom.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:52 PM   #15
obandoj
Founding Member

Well, Harley used to make dirt bikes in another life, eons ago.

I personally think that the modern design and modern technology that Cannondale brings to the table would dovetail very nicely with the V-Rod, and would put Harley on the road to a very progressive future.

Lets face it, air cooled engines and push rods can only go so far, the way things are nowadays, it is only a matter of time before the EPA puts a lid on it. Style can only cover your behind for so long.

So I think Harley should go for it before somebody else grabs Cannondale.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:59 PM   #16
rsheidler
Founding Member

You raise some good points. I was commentating from the prospective of a consumer/fan -- that is, what is the best chance for Cannondale to survive and continue producing bikes. Unlike KPaul, I am not a Harley Davidson shareholder, so am not so concerned with whether it makes sense to them.

The dirt bike market is certainly more competitive than Harley is used to, but I suspect that it is less "change for the sake of change" envoronment than is the Japanese sportbike market. The high-end 4stroke dirtbike market seem to be more stable -- don't see everyone deciding that they gotta get rid of the Husaburg cause some magazine tester just reported that the VOR was a couple of a tenths faster around the local track.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:18 PM   #17
Neal
Founding Member

As an owner of 4 HD dirtbikes(Italian made),Im all for it.Actually,I think it would make sense only if they develope smaller entry level bikes.Harley desperately needs to get teenagers and early 20 folks into the fold.The Cannondale is a big bore hi priced bike suitable for experienced riders,who most likely will go for the faster competition. As much as I would like to see it,I think it would be a mistake;I dont think the Cannondale can be a major player in the highly competitive big bore market unless it is bought by a company that already makes smaller bikes.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:54 AM   #18
gooseman_1
Founding Member

I liked it. (especially the part about the sheep) One can't have to many parodies of the WayHighMan.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:36 PM   #19
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Yo, intruderman...

... you could have stuck tongue in cheek just one more time by signing off...

They call me.......

The TrailerMan

-------------------------------

(Well done, nonetheless!)
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote