Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-17-2003, 03:31 AM   #1
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: New Road Hazard?

Distracted drivers are the most dangerous hazard on the roads today. It can be a cell phone, a backseat child, trying to change a radio station, read, shave, put make-up on, etc... The bottom line is that if a person is doing something besides paying attention to the road and they cause an accident they should be severely punished. I support jail time, and lifetime loss of license for drivers who cause serious accidents. (of course in Tennesee if you are a state Senator and kill a motorcyclist in a hit and run, they name a highway after you). A person could get more punishement for having a joint than running over a pedestrian (bicyclist, motorcyclist,etc..)

Drivers need to wake up or pay a big price.

sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2003, 03:55 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Using the famous Keith Code analogy of $1.00 = 100% attention, I would bet that talking on a phone or reading takes up about 75 cents of the buck. That leaves 25 cents left for everything on the road. I bet even someone legally drunk is more on the ball than that. I know some states are considering a ban on auto sell use, and it can't come fast enough for me. Ironically, I have had the closest calls while driving in my car. On the bike, my radar screen is much higher and I avoid these people like the plague.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:50 AM   #3
nokneedragin
Founding Member

From what i have read (about studies not funded by the cell phone manufacturers), drivers talking on a cell phone are as bad as drunk drivers at maintaining vehical control and avoiding road hazzards. Even hands free sets are bad. The manufacturers have even had a law passed in florida that make it illeagal for local comunities and cities to pass a law banning the use of cell phones while driving.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:00 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

Default This should be easy enough to fix.

Just come up with a small transmitter that attaches to your bike and knocks out cell phone reception for, say, 100 meters or so. This should be very easy to construct. I realize that would be illegal, but I wouldn't be surprised if one has already been built and used.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
michaeldoohan
Founding Member

"Even hands free sets are bad."

How is this any different compare to talking to a passenger in your car?

I personally find it more distracting to talk to someone on the passenger seat than having a coversation using a hands free set.
michaeldoohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:13 AM   #6
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: This should be easy enough to fix.

I recall awhile back there was talk of business establishments using something like that to block out cell service to restaurants, theaters,concerts etc. I am not sure if someone was actually marketing the equipment to do this or if it was in the idea stage. Problem there was that it would take out pagers as well. Doctors and other emergency care workers (who hopefully set their pagers on vibrate for such circumstances would be cut off.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:19 AM   #7
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"(of course in Tennesee if you are a state Senator and kill a motorcyclist in a hit and run, they name a highway after you). "

I'm not familiar with this case. Could you explain further?
Old 01-17-2003, 06:21 AM   #8
bwarbiany23
Founding Member

Hmm... That's an EXCELLENT idea... As an electrical engineer, I might need to get to work on that...

Although, I'd be a little worried that people would get even more distracted by their failing phones than just by talking...

Brad
bwarbiany23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:53 AM   #9
83XLH1000
Registered Member

Any "jammer" could be constructed to operate only in the cell phone frequency ranges. These vary depending on your type of service. However, I agreee with the other post that a dropped call would generate further distraction by the driver as he looks at the phone to try to see what happened.

Bill
83XLH1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:27 AM   #10
speedsport
Founding Member

Brad, you are exactly right, now instead of having people talking on cell phones, now we have them trying to repair them!!
speedsport is offline   Reply With Quote