Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   New Road Hazard? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1532-new-road-hazard.html)

ValknMag 01-17-2003 10:45 AM

Re: New Road Hazard?

rsheidler 01-17-2003 10:46 AM

Re: This should be easy enough to fix.

This is from a summary of an Ecomomist Magazine article which was posted in slate.com today:

"the folks who designed TiVo have figured out how to tame annoying cell phone users. Talk too loudly on the SoMo1 and you get an electric shock to the face. If that doesn't shut people up, the SoMo5 lets you zap an anonymous, interfering sound to a nearby cell phone that's being used obnoxiously. Too bad these are just conceptual prototypes"

SV650TX 01-17-2003 11:20 AM

It is true. I live in Texas. So I know all too well about the dangers of a chic in a 7,000 pound station wagon yappin her flap on the phone about what she just picked up at the mall. I was almost creamed by one running a stale red light. If I were on my SV, it wouldn't have even been a close call, because I have learned to look for those jerks before pulling out. And yes, I too have been flipped off by someone in an s.u.v. while I dared to try to use MY right of way as they were turning left without an arrow. I live for the day when it will be hip to drive something you actually have a use for.

JohnnyBandito 01-17-2003 12:13 PM

Louder horns for bikes?

This line of discussion makes me wonder if there is any company out there who makes LOUD aftermarket horns for motorcycles. I have a 92 Suzuki Bandit 400 with the most anemic horn ever constructed, and I've had a REALLY hard time finding anything decent. I remember hearing something about Fiamm horns being loud but my dealer didn't have anything in his catalogues. Any suggestions would be welcome.

steven_1 01-17-2003 12:37 PM

Driving home today I had a car coming at me drift into my lane. Guy was on a cell phone. You know the look, Leaning on his left elbow having a nice chat. He just jerked the car backm into his own lane, he did not seem very upset that he almost hit me head on. Glad I was in the car.

sarnali 01-17-2003 02:55 PM

cell phone are great for keeping in touch, for example my kids or the school can call if they need to get ahold of me for anything, But I know for some reason cell phones are totaly distracting while you're driving, maybe it's because if the person is in the car with you, you're sharing the same space, but when you're on the cell, your concentration is focused outside the vehical, I don't know, but if I see some one on the phone, I keep an eye out for them whether I'm in the car or on the bike. I think they should be used only if you pull over first, I had some fool at Safeway pull out of his parking space and almost hit my daughter, didn't appear to notice or even care that he had almost made a terminal [for him] mistake, amazing.

TheFox 01-17-2003 08:13 PM

Re: Louder horns for bikes?

I got a buddy with two horns from a Ford car wired onto his bike...they were on when he got it though; he didn't do it himself. I know there are some extra wires run to them too, presumably from the battery.

They're loud enough to make groups of peope jump when they hear it.

--The Fox

seruzawa 01-18-2003 03:32 AM

Re: This should be easy enough to fix.

While you are at it could you also design a device that will block off rap music and Dr. Laura within a 1,000 mile radius?

obandoj 01-18-2003 06:38 AM

Re:Lets do something about it!

Something needs to be done about cell phone use and driving. There are millions of horror stories out there, enough to fill a telephone book, many people have been hurt and killed and many more will be hurt and killed in the future. So far New York and some small comunities in the Mid-west have put restrictions on their use, but this changes need to become more widespread to make a real impact in the real world.

I challenge all of my motorcycle riding fellows and drivers in general, to come up with some good, positive and doable ideas to solve this problem, lets put our heads together to see what comes down the pike. Lets face it, it is going to take a big outcry from lots of drivers and riders to get it done. In the mean time watch for the yackers stopping for green lights, drifting into you, etc, etc, etc......

ironmike 01-18-2003 11:11 AM

Re:Lets do something about it!

Howzabout a cellphone/GPS combo..? Here's the catch - the voice comm unit won't work (rec/trans) if it's moving at more than 3 mph (walking speed) and the GPS aspect calculates actual speed. Gotta make a call, pull over and stop. Simple tech - already available.