Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-14-2003, 04:38 AM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Aren't these the same Luddite wackos who axed nuclear power in this country? Do they even think how much electric power and heatis produced by imported oil in this country? Until they're all living in 1000 Sq. Ft. 2 bedroom apartments, they have nothing to say.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2003, 04:42 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The SUV battle rages on

Okay. I admit it. Everything that goes wrong in the world is the fault of the USofA. Heaven forbid that the fanatic lunatics who bomb buses full of children and buildings full of innocents should be blamed for their acts. Oh no. It's all the fault of Americans who drive SUVs.

Anyone want to bet that Ms. Huffnpuffington rides around in a Honda Insight? She's just like the Sierra Club president who actually owns and drives a Chevy Suburban to work every day. These clown's proposals never seem to apply to they themselves. What hypocrisy.

Political power is a two edged sword. So be very careful what you wish for. You may get it.

Old 01-14-2003, 04:44 AM   #3
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Huffington in a righteous huff

Isn't this getting a little old.......

Look at the question: should they be banned?

The short answer: no.

STOP TRYING TO BAN STUFF. What happened to "give me liberty or give me death"? Oh, I guess we Americans have ditched our former philosophical and individual greatness for our current panty-waisted We Are The World pansiness.

Huffington doesn't care what premise under which SUV's are banned, as long as they're banned. I don't know what got into her, but it takes a lot of nerve to believe the American public is this stupid. Does she honestly think that no one will connect the dots to see that our entire economy is fueled by petroleum? The trucking industry is a huge user of petroleum, and a dirty and inneficient one at that. Let's ban 'em. Oh, by the way, then the papers with her ads won't get delivered to newstands and homes. Darnit.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:57 AM   #4
Tim_White
Founding Member

"She's just like the Sierra Club president who actually owns and drives a Chevy Suburban . . ."

Is this true?
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:02 AM   #5
Zapata
Founding Member

No, it's not. After 9/11 she traded in her luxury SUV and bought a Toyota Prius. Ariana puts her money where her mouth is -- she's awesome.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:09 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh well, I guess Ariana did sell her luxo-boat go to a smaller car.

However the Sierra Club president did in fact own and operate a Chevy Suburban a few years ago when the SC was hot on bashing SUVs. I believe his wife owned another Suburban for herself.

Huffnpuffington is still a loony talkinghead.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:10 AM   #7
mconlon
Founding Member

The ads are funny, but I think quite a few people miss the point--this isn't SUV bashing, this is a parody of the Bush admin.'s "Drug users fund terrorism" anti-drug ad campaign. It makes exactly as much sense as the anti-drug campaigns... only its being paid for by a private, not-for-profit group instead of a government agency funded by your and my hard-earned and nonsensically spent tax dollars. Want an effective anti-drug ad? Run a police scene photo of Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Kobain for a full 30 sec. and finish it up with "Got drugs?", not this drug-users-fund-terrorism bulls**t.

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:15 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"After 9/11 she traded in her luxury SUV and bought a Toyota Prius. "

Kinda like saying I only spend half my earnings on cocaine, instead of all of it. She is funding them on a lesser basis, but still funding(her logic, not mine). If she really had her money where her mouth was, she would have bought a bicycle.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:18 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

True, but there are people who are seriously promoting this moronic idea that SUV owners are funding terrorists. So if Huffnpuffington does it she's going to get tarred with the same brush, parody or not. Maybe t'aint fair but there it is.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:24 AM   #10
basel1120
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Actually, Ms. Huffington and her friends were hardly among anti-nuclear power advocates. You might want to check your facts before trying non-sequiturs as a form of argument.
basel1120 is offline   Reply With Quote