Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-14-2003, 09:15 PM   #71
Gabe
Founding Member

Default Your Mom's Safe....but...

What about the other guy? An SUV is many times more likely to kill or injure other drivers in crashes than actual passenger cars because of what's called "crash incompatibility". Plus they are 1.4 times more likely to kill their drivers and passengers in roll-over accidents because of "guardrail incompatibility."

Your Mom is making herself safer at the expense of those of us who don't want to drive SUV's...so how is that fair?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2003, 04:04 AM   #72
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: WE'VE ALWAYS NEEDED SUVs...HAVEN'T WE?

Hi, my name is Mike... and I bought an SUV. I know, I know, for shame--to think that we now own a Jeep Cherokee. See, the thing is, we need 4WD just to make it up our driveway in the Winter. Especially this Winter. In Winters past, we have routinely stuck our 2WD 4cyl Toyota (with weight and studded tires) pickup in the driveway. So we were looking for 4wd. Guess what? 97 Subarus cost more than 97 Jeeps in our neck of the woods. Anyone else making a decent, affordable 4wd wagon that I don't know about? Bueller? No? OK, so that's why we ended up with the Jeep. Needed 4wd; was least expensive option. None of my anti-SUV acquaintances or moto-list subscribers seemed to want to chip in the $2,000 difference between the car and the SUV to keep another one off the road...

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:33 AM   #73
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The SUV battle rages on

At ease, colonel.

Thr NYT has about as much credibility as the LA times. They have a long history of political partisanship, and you know it.

And who cares what an America-hater like you thinks? Move to Canada, why don't you? Or better yet, Cuba.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:34 AM   #74
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: THE AMERICAN RIGHT TO WASTE RESOURCES

Who is "they"?
Old 01-15-2003, 04:40 AM   #75
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: The SUV battle rages on

C'mon now Ser, tell us how you REALLY feel about him!, I read on some hate suv website that body on frame vehicals transfer impact energy to the occupants more than uni-body designs with crumple zones and controled deformity designs, makes sense to me, I think if SUV's are used as passenger vehicals, which most are, then they should be subject to the same standards, If someone wants an SUV then go buy one, just don't complain while you pay out the ass for gas and taxes, As for Barbie Striesand et al: I really don't care what some has been movie star or singers thinks, It's funny that suddenly being an actor or something inherantly gives you a morally superior vantage point from which to save me from my foolishness, even odder that they all seem to be democrats? Don't they own half of Montana? Used to be a nice place.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:58 AM   #76
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: THE AMERICAN RIGHT TO WASTE RESOURCES

OK, Not seeing the problem here, In the U.S., western Europe, Australia and Japan, we have high standards of health care , law and order for the vast majority of citizens, an efficient postal service, secure and stable government, well housed and fed populations and minimal unemployment rates, [even 20% unemployed=80%employment rate.] and personnal freedom to do pretty much what we want, If we collectively use 80% of the worlds recourses, we are producing 90% of the worlds food, machinary and medical supplies, why would we not want to limit and control who has weapons capable of sending the world economy down the drain? Pax Americana is what keeps the world economy growing.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:55 AM   #77
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Think for yourselves.

How can I possibly think for myself when people like you are telling me what to think?

Please accept the fact that we may be just excersising our freedom of choice regardless of marketing influences.

It may be ill informed to you, BUT IT IS MY DAMN DECISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:58 AM   #78
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Should we go to war for our SUVs

A conspiracy theorist at heart, who knew?

Have the black helicopters been buzzing your house or what.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:07 AM   #79
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Wall Street to publish simliar article

WSJ published same type of article today. Is the WSJ = a propaganda rag?????
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:57 AM   #80
KPaulCook
Banned

Default WSJ reports: Auto-Safety Czar Warns on SUVs

Auto-Safety Czar Warns on SUVs
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote