Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #61
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The SUV battle rages on

Bradsher is a reporte3r for the NYT fer crissakes. Talk about a propagandist.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I accept the statistics provided by some agenda driven sandal clad lefty NYT reporter.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2003, 01:11 PM   #62
TheBob
Founding Member

Default Re: Are Americans myoptic? selfish?

As a Canadian living in LA, I'll try and explain why Canadians pay more for gas, and why there are less SUVs (even though Canada provides the climate where 4x4s would appear necessary).

Taxes. Something like 80% of the cost is tax. When you have a country as spread out as Canada with such a small population (~30million), the cost of maintaining the roads (which in my hometown of Toronto kick ass compared to the bumpy, pot-holed mess that we have here in SoCal) requires that the gas used by people driving on the roads pay for their maintenance.

And most Canadians don't make as much money as their American counterparts--hence the cost of buying an Escalade or other monster becomes prohibitive. I'm sure there are other reasons too--like why would anyone invest $80000 in a truck that will rust just as fast as a Corolla, which really does not improve your chances of avoiding an accident on frozen roads. It's true, I've seen more 4x4s in the ditch than econo cars. False sense of controll or something. Actually, when I think about it it comes down to this: 4x4s get you moving faster, but have just as much problem stopping as a 2 wheel drive car. And when you are used to your 2 wheel drive vehicle sliding all over the place, you are much more comfortable controlling your skids. It would be comparable to not knowing what to do when you lock up the rear wheel on a bike...

BTW, I loved the ads that sparked this forum. When I saw the Drugs=Terrorism adds I couldn't believe my senses. What a farce. It's good that someone had the sense of humor to turn it around. I took these new ads as a sarcastic joke with a real purpose: really, as a planet we should be trying harder to be less destructive to our environment. It just makes sense.

TheBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #63
KPaulCook
Banned

Default and longride and Buz thought I was nuts about 4WD

I am from Colorado and I share your view about 4X4s mor apt to end up in the ditch. City boys like longride and Buzlight year though I was nuts. I found that front wheel drive with studs to be a great combo. Subarus with their low center of gravity work great in Colorado. You really only need a 4X4 for deep snow etc. For packed power Front wheel drive is good. Hell 30 years ago the only front wheel drive car was an Oldsmobile Tornado. My dad had a RWD 2WD Pickup forever.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:31 PM   #64
KPaulCook
Banned

Oh that was easy way to dismiss him (NOT). This nixon guy is good isn't he. Now don't call him an idiot now. Since when is the NYT = Pravda. I for one am going to look up what Mr nixon has referenced.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:50 PM   #65
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Should we go to war for our SUVs

Read this link and then I will shut up about this, promise

This sums up what more and more folks are thinking.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:38 PM   #66
merv
Founding Member

Default Re: The SUV battle rages on: Easy way to improve your gas milage

Why don't you guys in the US start using the UK gallon, then you'd get a 20% improvement in mpg and if you used the UK ton as well your SUvs would be over 10% lighter? Would that help? No good going metric like we are here in New Zealand, my VFR only does 20 kilometres to the litre at best and my SUV only gets about 8 km/litre.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:08 PM   #67
akcarlson
Founding Member

Your neighbor, then, is as ignorant as you are on this subject.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:14 PM   #68
akcarlson
Founding Member

Your neighbor, then, is as ignorant as you are on this subject.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:09 PM   #69
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: WE'VE ALWAYS NEEDED SUVs...HAVEN'T WE?

People need SUVs because that's what the marketing forces tell them they need. Whether it's to enhance their active lifestyle, to protect their children (from the other SUVs), or to generally be perceived by the public as a tough, stylish or wealthy person, people want SUVs because they're told to want SUVs.

Why do auto manufacturers want people to buy SUVs? Are they evil? Do they hate the environment? Do they have secret agenda to propel the US into war for oil?

No, they just want to make a profit. SUVs are far and away the most profitable vehicles for auto companies to sell. Automakers, on average, make $5,500 more on light truck-based SUVs (which constitute the vast majority of all SUVs sold) than they do on cars.* SUVs make up 15 percent of automobile sales--and 60 percent of industry profits. ** Contrary to what the marketers would have the public believe, buyers are getting significantly less for their money when they purchase an SUV, and they're 'buying high' for SUVs because they're currently trendy.

Some people need an SUV. Some people go off roading, haul over a ton of cargo on a regular basis, drive on roads of deep unplowed snow, carry lots of people and their luggage, and carry consruction materials and passengers simultaneously. The people that do most of these on a regular basis need the capabilities that SUVs offer. Other people are simply exercising the freedom of a free market, and they have every right to do so.

But, they're making an ill-informed decision.

*From Duetsche Banc's auto analyst Rod Lache

**From J.D. Power and Associates
Old 01-14-2003, 04:13 PM   #70
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Think for yourselves.

People need SUVs because that's what the marketing forces tell them they need. Whether it's to enhance their active lifestyle, to protect their children (from the other SUVs), or to generally be perceived by the public as a tough, stylish or wealthy person, people want SUVs because they're told to want SUVs.

Why do auto manufacturers want people to buy SUVs? Are they evil? Do they hate the environment? Do they have secret agenda to propel the US into war for oil?

No, they just want to make a profit. SUVs are far and away the most profitable vehicles for auto companies to sell. Automakers, on average, make $5,500 more on light truck-based SUVs (which constitute the vast majority of all SUVs sold) than they do on cars.* SUVs make up 15 percent of automobile sales--and 60 percent of industry profits. ** Contrary to what the marketers would have the public believe, buyers are getting significantly less for their money when they purchase an SUV, and they're 'buying high' for SUVs because they're currently trendy.

Some people need an SUV. Some people go off roading, haul over a ton of cargo on a regular basis, drive on roads of deep unplowed snow, carry lots of people and their luggage, and carry consruction materials and passengers simultaneously. The people that do most of these on a regular basis need the capabilities that SUVs offer. Other people are simply exercising the freedom of a free market, and they have every right to do so.

But, they're making an ill-informed decision.

*From Duetsche Banc's auto analyst Rod Lache

**From J.D. Power and Associates