Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-15-2003, 03:05 PM   #91
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: WE'VE ALWAYS NEEDED SUVs...HAVEN'T WE?

Do I have a job? Is that a question that's valid to an argument about the merits of a particular vehicle?

In my experience, when someone makes an argument personal, it means they've run out of logical points to make.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2003, 03:08 PM   #92
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: Think for yourselves.

You are not reading closely enough. You are only seeing what you want to see. My argument is neither right nor wrong. It is simply fact. Feel free to check my sources if you disbelieve their accuracy; that's why I included them.

If you have nothing left to do but call me names, I'll consider the argument comcluded.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:50 PM   #93
hawkrider
Founding Member

I can read quite well, and what I see is that you are choosing to quote what suites your lame position. News flash: Auto makers make highest profits on their most expensive models. WOW are you a economics wizard too.

You don't get it. This is bigger than SUV's and our choices as consumers. You do realize that 79.5 % of americans polled think that anyone who rides a motorcycle is dumb for doing so.

Well, why do you ride? To save the environment? To be less threatening to your fellow motorists, ie, if there is an accident between you and a minivan you will most likely get the worst of it. That of course would make you a better person. Dead perhaps but better!

Why do you ride, I don't care. Read this carefully: IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS!

As far as calling names, people like you should be called names, you leave me no choice. For to sit back and argue your lame points in a dignified manner would only give your ilk the respect that you do not deserve.

Please for God Sakes give people the respect they deserve and let them live their lives.

Somehow I just don't think you can do that, can you?
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:50 PM   #94
hawkrider
Founding Member

I can read quite well, and what I see is that you are choosing to quote what suites your lame position. News flash: Auto makers make highest profits on their most expensive models. WOW are you a economics wizard too.

You don't get it. This is bigger than SUV's and our choices as consumers. You do realize that 79.5 % of americans polled think that anyone who rides a motorcycle is dumb for doing so.

Well, why do you ride? To save the environment? To be less threatening to your fellow motorists, ie, if there is an accident between you and a minivan you will most likely get the worst of it. That of course would make you a better person. Dead perhaps but better!

Why do you ride, I don't care. Read this carefully: IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS!

As far as calling names, people like you should be called names, you leave me no choice. For to sit back and argue your lame points in a dignified manner would only give your ilk the respect that you do not deserve.

Please for God Sakes give people the respect they deserve and let them live their lives.

Somehow I just don't think you can do that, can you?
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:47 PM   #95
Leilani
Founding Member

Default Re: The SUV battle rages on

How interesting that this article is aimed solely at SUV drivers rather than everyone that owns a car? Please flame me if I'm wrong, but don't the majority of cars & motorcycles for that matter, out on the road require gas. I find it hilarious that it's only the evil SUV drivers that are majorly contributing to terrorist and need to be stopped. I'm sure if Mrs. HuffnPuff ran the numbers she'd find that there are at least 10 times as many (fuel-efficient) sedans out on the road than SUV's which as a whole consume more gas than any other car category out on the road.

But that's just me using my common sense which these days just isn't so common. As for the Bush ads about drugs and terrorist...it's readily apparent to me that these people are funded by drugs, oil, and huge donations from rich wacko's everywhere. The governments in these countries that fund and allow these activities to go on are the real problem.

Leilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 09:04 PM   #96
Leilani
Founding Member

Hate to break it to this crowd, but the reason why we use mainly gas fueled cars is because the people making the cars don't want you to use anything else. Lets not delude ourselves by thinking that we really have the power to change much of anything until the big guys (by this I mean the 5% of the people in this country that control 95% of the wealth) decide that we need something more efficient. Face it this economy and the automotive industry runs on the need for oil and cars that break down.

Think about it: We can make space shuttles that can go all the way to the moon and back. They can withstand heat and atmospheric pressure etc. You don't think they've come up with a more efficient, less harmful way to fuel cars or make them....I refuse to believe that we've stood still in this area of transportation for so long for any other reason than that's the way big business wants it to be.
Leilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:39 AM   #97
grover750
Founding Member

The exceptions to your rule:

www.civichybrid.honda.com/

and

www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/prius/
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:47 PM   #98
grover750
Founding Member

The ads focused on SUVs to simplify the message. Unfair? Yes, but necessary. There's no difference (as far as sending $ to the middle east) between a 15 mpg SUV and a 15 mpg pickup or Rolls Royce. People don't pay attention to muddled messages (look at the last election results)

Your point about sedans is so retarded I don't even know where to begin. Imagine two groups of vehicle owners. One is a group of 100 sedan owners, which as a whole burn 1000 gallons of gas a month, the other a group of 50 SUV owners, which, as a whole, burns 990 gallons of gas a month, while driving the same total miles as the sedan owners. Which group is sending more money to the middle east per person? The sorriest thing is that you used your incredibly stupid argument to attack Ms. Huffington's lack of common sense. Wow. Thank god your kind of common sense isn't too common.

In reading your last paragraph, I would think you would be a big supporter of increasing mileage.

"As for the Bush ads about drugs and terrorist...it's readily apparent to me that these people are funded by drugs, oil (THATS WHAT THIS IS ABOUT), and huge donations from rich (WHERE DO THEY GET THEIR MONEY???) wacko's everywhere. The governments in these countries that fund (WHERE DO THEY GET THEIR MONEY??)and allow (ACTUALLY SUPPORT) these activities to go on are the real problem (SO CUT OFF THE MONEY!)."

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #99
TheBob
Founding Member

Default Re: and longride and Buz thought I was nuts about 4WD

Best car I ever had for snow was an '87 Tercel. The little thing had such narrow tires, it was like it was on skates. I drove an entire winter (bad one too--the armed forces had to be called into Toronto to help clear the roads) without ever getting stuck. I found out the next spring that my tires were bald (I was a student trying to make'em last) when I started hydroplaning on only slighly damp roads. Front wheel drive rules.

...but RWDs are the most fun. Ever pull a doughnut in the middle of an intersection and let chance decide your route?

TheBob is offline   Reply With Quote