Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-08-2003, 10:37 AM   #51
blackburd
Founding Member

Default Turn it over to Jessie James

I think Daimler-Chrysler should turn the entire project over to the Monster Garage people. They'll not only get it running, they'll have it out picking up golf balls....or trash cans....or whaterver.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2003, 10:59 AM   #52
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not build a real motorcycle, Chrysler?

Not so sure that there are still even two left.

For example, per the 2001 10K for Ford Motor Co, only 47% of the employees and 46% of net assets were in the US. Although the US did account for 55% of vehicle units and 66% of total revenue.

Didn't take the time to pull up the data for GM, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was not similar.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:17 AM   #53
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Serious Math?

yep, they're pretty crazy, but hey, man, I'd have LOVED to be one of the designers on the CAD stations detailing the parts for that thing.

can you imagine what fun it must have been, sitting around thinking up the concept?

"hey let's put a Viper V10 in a motorcycle!!"

"YEAH!!!!"

robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:21 AM   #54
mike_root
Founding Member

Default Re: Mr Leno your bike is ready

Hey - that rider is not wearing a helmet!!!

That's unsafe!!
mike_root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:27 AM   #55
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Why not build a real motorcycle, Chrysler?

Yeah, the auto industry is so incestuous that no company can claim a nation of origin any more. Volve makes diesel engines for Mercedes (or did), Chevrolets are assembled in Canada with engines made in Mexico. etc.

They only play the "buy American" ploy as a marketting tool.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:22 PM   #56
hawkrider
Founding Member

Projects like this are most often left on paper. The fact that some designer recieved the budget to create this abortion is something new. Don't get me wrong I love all things fast and exciting, bikes, boats and cars etc. But this thing is mental mastrubation run amok.

This is just about as dumb as the GM announcement that they will build a 16 cylinder Caddy luxo boat that will cost the customer $250,000.00. And you ask why would they build such a car? According to GM's #1 man it is to"Show the world that we will take a back seat to nobody".

GM builds a great truck. I know for a fact that what GM dealers want are new car models that will sell to the market. GM's car line up is a joke. Toyota and Ford have kicked their ass to the curb for a long time now.

Quick: Name 3 cars in the GM line up that you would BUY! With your own hard earned money.

BTW on this Chrysler thing do you wear a backpack styled fuel tank on your back so you can ride more than 20 miles at a time.

Also for what it's worth don't forget who owns Chrysler, Mercedes Benz. I don't see Mercedes spending too much time and effort in bringing this turd to market.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:29 PM   #57
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Bull

>>Leave it to The Highwayman who is stout enough to face the consequences<<

Yeah, but we know the Harley Man leads with his boots (see the post on the Doc Martens thread) so they would have to figure how to mount forward controls on the sucker!
Old 01-08-2003, 01:43 PM   #58
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Serious Math?

Yeah, can you imagine actually getting PAID to dream up, then actually build, something like this?

I am sure that part of why they do stuff like this is to attract bright, creative design/engineering talent and motivate/excite the ones they already have. I read an interview with one of the top execs of BMW who pointed out that that was the main reason they went into Formula 1, and would be their main motive if the were to enter MotoGP -- marketing impact was secondary!

Bob
Old 01-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #59
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>Quick: Name 3 cars in the GM line up that you would BUY! With your own hard earned money.<<

No Problem. Corvette, and ...uhm....uhm...I'm thinking, can I have some more time? Can I include Euro only models?

I think Ford is in about the same shape -- in their car line up, all I could come up with is Mustang and Focus, and I am not so sure about the Mustang (I would at least wait to see the new one on the Lincoln/Jaguar platform).

Now, if you wanna throw Jaguar or Asten Martin --- naaa, not with my money unless I win the lottery.

Both produce nice trucks, though.

Old 01-08-2003, 02:06 PM   #60
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>I'm waiting for the off-road Ram/Durango series before buying. Sure would shorten the trip to the Arctic Circle. I'd be wanting the high torque Cummins diesel engine though.<<

I would hope they would find space for a little more than the 3.5 gal of fuel, cause that is a long way to push a 1500 lb motorcycle!

Cummins diesel sounds like the way to go. Maybe the USMC would dump those Kwacker diesels that MO reported on a month or so ago and replace em with something a Real American Man could ride with pride

I can see it now, sorta like a narrowed, stripped down Hummvee!