Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-07-2003, 03:50 PM   #11
vigorito
Founding Member

Default Re: Mr Leno your bike is ready

I want one, too. Judging by the number of times that photo has been e-mailed on Yahoo (5962 and counting), I'd say a few other folks are excited about the Tomahawk. I hope Dodge is planning a cruiser (missle) version.
vigorito is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2003, 03:55 PM   #12
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Power/Weight Ratios

True that. Since a Viper Coupe does something like 180-185mph, as I recall (too lazy to look it up), that same motor would have to be pushin' one hell of a lot lower frontal area with a much lower drag coeficient to have any shot at 300. Just from lookin' its pretty obvious it misses on both counts.

If you look at any of the motorcycle record holders from Bonnyville Salt Flats, anything that pushes close to 300mph is a 20ft long 18"wide cigar with probably more that 500 hp. Where is Don Vesco when we really need him?

If this thing is truely geared for the claimed 300 mph, and has only a 2speed gearbox, that V10 better have the flattest torque curve you ever say if its gonna have any acceleration though!

One Hell of an interesting design exercise.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:35 PM   #13
dp5
Founding Member

Default anything with 4 wheels is a CAR!

if you believe people like DOT, EPA and FIA that is. but what do they know.

400 mph in an airplane takes between 600 and 2500 hp, depending on a number of factors (the 600 hp version would be VERY cosy on the inside).

for another perspective, a very aerodynamic hayabusa will do about 200 on 180 hp. to do 400 the same hayabusa will need a hair over 700 hp. the chrysler monstrosity has about twice the frontal area and twice the CD, just eyeballing it. so something around 2800 hp will do.

with a meager 500, my guess is 250 tops, if the driver can manage to hang on.
dp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:55 PM   #14
pbx
Founding Member

Anybody have photos the bike leaned over, or tech details on the suspension system? That's really the most interesting part -- it's like a tilting three-wheeler but with four wheels.

The rest is just Boss Hoss and Road Dog.
pbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:25 PM   #15
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Orbit!

Only if you use the front brakes...It's American, and we all know that real American Men never use front brakes...they take them off.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:30 PM   #16
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: anything with 4 wheels is a CAR!

Actually doubling velocity requires 8 times the power, so the hayabusa would need 1440hp. While parasitic drag varies directly to velocity squared, power required varies directly to velocity cubed. (Those aerodynamics courses from college are finally paying off!) Well.....not really. Sadly, most of my fellow pilots never grasped them, and we certainly don't apply them while flying. Your numbers for the planes were accurate though, where did you get them?
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM   #17
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

No, no no...you guys...geez.

It's not a bike...it's a four-wheeler.

Its competition is not the 'Busa or the Z-Rex, but the Bison and the Rubicon.

Mikey: Hey, Bubba, that new four-driver is real nice lookin', but don't you figure it's a little over the top fer huntin'?

Bubba: Well, mebby so, Mike, but with this here bush bar on front it sure takes the fight right out o' them 12 point bucks.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:43 PM   #18
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Totally Cool...

Now, imagine class racing on these beasts! Or how about endurance racing at Le Mans or Daytona. And of course, top fuel drag racing at Pomona. Or dirt track racing! And just plain cruising the boulevard....wow! Big twins are cool, but an 8.3 liter V10 is way cool. The possibilities are endless.

Build it, build it, build it......my precious! Golem/Smeidl

OK, so you have to be filthy rich to own one, but it's still hella cool. And you would probably wreck rubbernecking if you saw one on the road.

Build it.
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:56 PM   #19
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

"I can't quite see the legal department, DOT and the EPA all getting together to allow this thing on the road"

Jay Leno already has one of those helecopter jet turbine bikes. If they can make that thing legal, they could make the Tomahawk legal. I read the turbine bike exhaust will melt plastic on cars that get too close!
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:58 AM   #20
jsimpson
Founding Member

Styling exercize designed (and working) to boost Daimler-Chrysler's performance image.