Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-27-2000, 12:00 PM   #1
roadload
Founding Member

Default Re: EPA Sets New Standards for Motorcycles and ATVs

Boy I wonder how clamping down on off road vehicles and motorcycles is going to effect overall air quaility. I cannot imagine that the the total amount of pollutents put out by these machines amount to over .5 percent of the total.

Why do they not focus on diesels or industry, I do believe that out side of certain metropolitian areas industry is the leading cause of pollutents in the air. How about our on military and all of their machines of might, their transports, diesel subs and ships.

This is bogus!
roadload is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2000, 12:11 PM   #2
Iman01
Founding Member

The argument that everybody else is doing it doesn't hold up. It is beneficial to always improve the technology and impact the environment less.

I do agree that it is silly to attack motorcycles and other smaller displacement machines and turn a blind eye on the big polluters. The EPA should focus on the big polluters first but that doesn't mean any polluter should be ignored.

The off road vehicels they are attacking are recreational. The use isn't required. Industry pollutes because everybody pays them to pollute.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2000, 01:15 PM   #3
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Certainly the argument from the purported "reasonable" people is: "why do we need to pollute so much? why not reduce emmisions from motorcycles and ATV's?" Of course, the answer is simple: becuase it will have an immeasurable, imperceptible, inconsequential effect. And for that non-effect, we will pay higher prices for these vehicles. That hurts not only those that buy these products, but the industries that produce them. Not to mention the fact that that's one more area of life that Washington bureaucrats will have control over.

Here in Minnesota, we finally got rid of our worthless, money-pit emmissions-testing program after several years of inconvenience and aggravation. It was shown that pollution levels were already going down at the time that the program was started, and there was no evidence to show that the program resulted in cleaner air. Even if you had a clapped-out rust-bucket 1979 T-Bird with no catilytic converter, you were given an exemption after you spent a couple hundred dollars trying to fix it. The only thing this program resulted in was higher vehicle tab fees and more government workers.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2000, 02:29 PM   #4
roadload
Founding Member

You moron i never once suggested reducing our military. All i was suggesting was that they look at how much they pollute before going off on motorcyclist.

And no I am not ignorant to how hard the military works but like any goverment entity I am sure there is some room for improvement, AS there is for everything on this planet,
Old 11-27-2000, 02:51 PM   #5
roadload
Founding Member

I agree that as technology evolves,as it will, this pollution issue will cease to exist.

I also agree that any polluter should be ignored. It just seem that so much effort goes into this legislation and the potential gain from its passage seems miniscule.

As far as recreational, yes they are not required but if we took that logic and applied it to all aspects of are lives well we would be wearing grey jumpsuits riding in our grey buses/mass transit eating our grey food and so on
Old 11-27-2000, 02:54 PM   #6
basel1120
Founding Member

The problem is not the overall contribution of off-road vehicles to air pollution. It is the concentration of such vehicles in specific areas such as national parks and wilderness areas. (Obviously, off-road vehicles do not contribute substantially to urban air pollution.) However, according to independent analyses, the vast majority of pollutants in Yellowstone (among other national recreational areas) are associated with off-road vehicles.

And if you don't think the EPA is going after pollution caused by the bigger polluters, try telling it to the diesel trucking industry.
basel1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2000, 03:56 PM   #7
tony
Founding Member

Well I've been to Yellowstone in the middle of winter. I was hiking and a couple times some snowmoblies went by. I could hear them and smell the smoke for a few seconds but that was it. I did not see any effect on the envirorment. I think back in the 60s the EPA played a big part but they've grown to big and now they are looking for something to justify their jobs. The pickings are getting pretty slim. They need to cut the size of EPA and then focus on the most important issues.

The commets about adapting CARB requirements for the rest of the country on street bikes sounds like someone needs a real job.

Tony

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2000, 06:56 PM   #8
Pacer
Founding Member

Your right they would get rid of all the diesels, and use nuclear. Don't worry about that, they will just hide the nuclear waste inside Yucca mountain for the future generations to deal with. By the way we all agree that the OHVs are a scape goat.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2000, 05:27 AM   #9
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Much as I distrust government and dislike government regulation, there's nothing wrong with making dirt bikes and other recreational vehicles like ATV's and watercraft cleaner and quieter. Look what happened to street bikes since emissions standards have been enacted. The R1 is certainly not an overweight, emasculated pig.

And, maybe, just maybe, if dirt bikes were clean and quiet, the eco-Stalinists would have less ammo in their fight to have them banned outright, which is their true agenda.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2000, 05:38 AM   #10
shabeger
Founding Member

Default BTW we do not own any diesel subs.

BTW we do not own any diesel subs.
shabeger is offline   Reply With Quote