Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-09-2002, 04:36 PM   #41
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Bike: Stop Terrorism, Save the Planet, and Get Right with God

Whatever. I suppose you believe that the Cubans killed Kennedy, that we have an alien spacecraft at Area 51, that a secret society really runs everything, and that republicians want to starve your children. Oh yeah, they also want to kill the planet and destroy the country, but only unions and democrats protect you the little guy. Wake up, NO ONE wants to do any of those things. Different people have different solutions to the same problem. You're a bigot if you hate people because of what vehicle they choose to drive or what political party they choose to vote under. Wow, those liberals sure are accepting and tolerant, unless you want to smoke in public or drive a car they don't approve of. I come here to read about motorcycles. But, you shouldn't care what my political opinion is, cause I sure as heck don't care about yours.

Lastly, if you don't vote, SHUT UP! Your opinion doesn't count for anything. It's moot. Regardless of how political polls there are validating your decision. "I choose not to vote to send a message to Washington."

Yeah the message I'm too darn lazy to get off of the couch and participate. So politicians can give my hard earned away for programs that don't work, or if you believe in the other crap so they continue paying for illegal anal probes, or to steal money from the elderly.

Dave

Dave

dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2002, 06:03 PM   #42
vcs700s
Founding Member

Default Re: Wrong

It might be time to dust off the Bible and do a little reading as you are off on this one! His closest female friend wasn't a prostitute. He had many women who followed him and ministered with and to Him. True ,One of the Mary's was a reformed prostitute, but that is as far as it goes!! The Christian church is correct in the belief that He was opposed to all immorality including public nudity. I hope this was tongue in cheek as you are real close to the line of blasphemy here!! I suggest backing off and doing a little more research!!!
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:25 PM   #43
wfowade
Founding Member

Jesus was a carpenter if you recall. My guess is he would drive a 15 year old F-150 with a tool box body full of tools.

wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:38 PM   #44
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Wrong

I promise to never read the bible again, as long as we can have public nudity.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:43 PM   #45
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Exhaust gas emissions

Jon:

I think you're missing a step in your calculations. The PID measures ppm (parts per million), which means that a 4600cc Cadillac and an 800cc vfr are held to the same percentage of hc emissions. However, since the vfr puts out 4/23 as much exhaust gas volume as the Cadillac, then the same PID reading for HC gases, taken at the same RPM would mean that the Cadillac would be putting out 23/4 times as much of the pollutant as the bike, if we were measuring the pollutant in absolute terms, not in percentage of the exhaust volume. The absolute figure is important, because it's the number of tons of crap in the air that determines the quality of the atmosphere.

Am I wrong?

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:46 PM   #46
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

The only thing more profound than the arrogance of the anti-SUV rant is the intellectual vacancy of it. Such posts are a monument to the posit that the world is full of folks who can't tell the difference between the right to have an opinion and the capacity to formulate a worthwhile notion. I love the internet. Anonymity is a cure for the tyranny of competence. No credentials or humility required here. Only the unmitigated nerve to spew venom as if it deserved respect. What's the going rate for your thoughts? Is it what you've been paid for this assault on people who couldn't possibly be your moral inferiors? How is it you find the mote in your brother's eye? Hypothetical: Take five adults, one Saint Bernard, and a hundred pounds of gear on two cross-country trips and regular camping outings. Would your vehicle of choice be a Prius or a Suburban? If we don't buy oil from the Arabs, will that shut down the international market or merely create a buying opportunity for another consumer? The only thing more loony than building castles in the air is redecorating them.
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:01 PM   #47
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Good Rant

It was sunny and 35 degrees Saturday morning in Portland, and as I was warming up my '81 CB750 and pulling on the electric gloves, some latte-wielding yuppie know-it-all walks by and asks "how can you ride in this weather?" I replied "because it's a nice day" (and it was), but what I wanted to say was "one of the main reasons I ride this bike is because I want to put as few dollars as possible into the hands of the terrorist-sponsoring Saudis."

Let us not be fooled: those that sell oil in the Middle East are actively funding the war against us, using OUR money, and money from other democratic countries. And this is a war, albiet one of ideology and religion for the most part. There is a place for the SUV in our society, especially if you have a large family (more than 4) and doubly so if you live in rural areas that get snow, etc, of which there are many in Oregon. But the SUV has become the New Cadillac of the USA, and in a country that always places great value on Everything Bigger, we can expect SUV's to continue to be a status symbol that crosses all race and income lines.

Make no mistake: the oil and US car companies know a good thing when they see it, and SUV's are a VERY good thing for them. Lightweight, fuel effecient/hybrid cars are NOT a good thing to them, which is why the hybrids are coming from Japan (and soon Germany) and why Ford killed it's program just as it was beginning to show promise. Don't look for a hip, stylish, innovative hybrid from a US carmaker anytime soon.

The only way the SUV will fall from favor is if gas prices go substantially over $2 a gallon. $3 a gallon will be the death knell for them. That will happen eventually, sooner than later if Bush gets his way and we take Iraq to task, pissing off all the Arabs, who are just itching for an excuse to jack up the price. $60 to fill one SUV up at 14mpg? That's too big a pill for most SUV owners. I'll be laughing as I fill up for $12 total, at 50mpg on the 'ol CB750.

As for what Jesus would ride, probably a dual-sport, so he can get out to the desert and confer in peace with all the other gods (Allah, Muhammad, Vishnu, Budda, Ra, etc). And thumpers get great mileage....

GOB
Old 12-09-2002, 07:39 PM   #48
KPaulCook
Banned

Default In Seattle it is different than where you are at sportbikepilot

Where you live you probably don't see many SUVs on the freeway with just one occupant. Here in Seattle SUVs are very popular even though the majority don't go off road, pull a trailer or haul 5 adults. If you don't believe me come to Seattle and go down I-5 during rush hour. What this country needs is a good ole oil embargo or shutdown. Folks would change their tune on SUVs if they had to pay $2.50 a gallon.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:40 PM   #49
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Good Rant

Last year gas prices in L.A. went to nearly $2.00 per gallon. SUV sales didn't blink.

2-3 dollar per gallon won't hurt the yuppie types much. It will seriously impact those on the lower end of the economic spectrum. This is the real purpose of high energy prices. If the undesirables are kept poor they won't move out of the ghettos and into the neighborhoods where the "progressives" live. Progressives believe in equality.... as long as they can continue to be just a bit more equal than their "inferiors".
Old 12-09-2002, 07:43 PM   #50
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Good Rant

Well said. SUVs of the Nineties and 00s are akin to the Ford LTDs and Chevy Impalas of the 70s. You are right all we need is a hickup in the oil supply and folks driving those SUVs will be trading them in like their parents dumped their LTDs and Impalas of old.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote