Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-09-2002, 03:10 PM   #31
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Riding a Motorcycle and Smoking Pot

Then we wouldn't have to see those guys on 600cc bikes in T-shirts, shorts and sandals! Good idea!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2002, 03:15 PM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Exhaust gas emissions

Now you did it! You ruined the argument with facts. Shame on you.

You'd better learn that you must follow the "common wisdom" no matter how stupid it is. Do you want NPR doing a hitpiece on you, heretic?
Old 12-09-2002, 03:23 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Buy a Bike: Stop Terrorism, Save the Planet, and Get Right with God

Actually some species of trees do pollute the air. The idiots were those who laughed because they "knew better".

http://www.webdesk.com/tree-pollution/
Old 12-09-2002, 03:28 PM   #34
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>Excellent Sean<<

Actually, I believe that this article/rant was submitted by Vlad aka Francis Clark, not by Sean.

ps: I fugured you would have found an excuse to somehow link your article about the putative "death of the V-twin in racing" to this thread as well (just giving you a little $hit)
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:37 PM   #35
rsheidler
Founding Member

Good points all -- except I am not so sure about the naked bike bit -- since his closest female friend was a prostitute, he may not have been as opposed to public nudity as the Church might have us believe. I kinda have him on an FZ1. Not totally nude, more in the pasties and a g-string mode, or perhaps in keeping with regional tradition, like a belly dancer. You know, shows enough to give a good idea of the working bits, while still maintaining some sense of mystery.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:53 PM   #36
VFRGeo
Registered Member

Default Re: Exhaust gas emissions

Yea, my mom warned me about such things but I just wouldn't listen...
VFRGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:54 PM   #37
crg
Founding Member

Wow, it really is that simple....

My problem with milage figures like that: How do you propose 6 people get from point A to point B? With luggage? Perhaps 3 Goldwings w/ trailers? Where does the milage go?

With 1 person it seems like more efficient transportation, but a Geo Metro will get +40 mpg, with a few people aboard. Not as fun in the twisties though...
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:57 PM   #38
runner00
Founding Member

I agree 100 %.

Anyone who drives one of those things has got to be brain dead. There are so many really nice cars that are far less expensive. All a bunch of unpatriotic idiots.

If they had any balls they would buy a bike. Which you know and I know would make them much happier. I had a theory when I was 8 years old.

'the world is a very stupid place" . At this place and time the fact that these vehicles are so popular is incredibly stupid. Welcome my friends to the stupid stupid world. Have you notice how many women are riding around in these things also. Maybe Freud was right. I can buy a 45,000 dollar suv or a 45,000 bmw, and they choose the suv. Idiots.

s stupid

u unpatriotic

v vehicle.

runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 04:01 PM   #39
saddlebag
Registered Member

Apparently you're fairly new to the game. Bikes, while they save a bit on fuel often require more frequent oil changes by their owners. Certainly more tire (read oil) changes by their owners.

Since most are opened up to get them to run right. any pollution windfall of stockers is quickly unwound as well.

If you wanna stop terrorism, send the bastards some condoms. Overpopulation in the face of fixed producing resources will ALWAYS produce a class of people too ***** stupid to survive.

Be kind and insist, NO MORE *****!
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 04:23 PM   #40
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I don't want to tee off on Vlad because he seems like a good guy shooting from the hip on a topic that is obviously important to him. Good for you!

I have some problems with the emissions stats cited (as has been very ably pointed out by at least one other reader), but I suppose that my bigger issue would be with most everyone who has responded affirmatively to this piece. To you I say are you nuts? . All of us who drive anything are part of the stated problem. It's just to what degree.

This is a website who's content is almost wholly devoted to motorcycles which, the last time I checked, almost all sport internal combustion engines that use the same fuel as SUV's. And I would be willing to bet more money than I can afford to lose that the majority of bike owners who visit this website, upon acquisition of a new motorcycle, immediately remove most of the stock exhaust in favor of aftermarket bits that increase horsepower and torque (rarely in an exceptionally useful manner for street use) often at the expense of noise, decreased fuel economy, and increased emissions. Besides, I maintain for a number of reasons that a family of five going down the road in an SUV may well be more eco-friendly than most of us on our bikes. I ride my motorcycles because I like them, not because I've fooled myself into thinking I'm doing anyone else a damn bit of good.

The ranting I see against SUV's on this website reminds me of the egregiously self-serving crap I hear from the "Save Yellowstone Park from Snowmobiles" crowd every time I go to a meeting about this issue. Somehow they all seem have the notion that bumper to bumper summertime traffic and throngs of tourists are somehow more benign that snowmobiles, a fact that I have reason to seriously doubt. And, as an aside, it's difficult for me not to notice that every Greenpeace-Save the Earth-eco bumper sticker I see in the parking lot after one of these meetings is attached to someone's car. It makes me want to puke. I'm neither for nor against snowmobiles in Yellowstone; I just have a problem with singling snowmobiles out from all other users of the park when the problem, IMHO, is that the park is overused by everyone .

Enough digression. SUV's are not the problem; they are merely a symptom of a much greater (and much more intractable) problem - too many people. If we had half the number of people as we do I dare say no one would be too concerned about SUV's But as long as every person in this country continues to produce about 2.2 people (one of the lowest rates on the planet, btw) the problems of pollution and unsustainable consumption will continue to escalate. So if you really want to put a dent in environmental/consumption problems you'd probably want to begin with some cogent scheme to begin controlling population growth. Anyone in MO land have one?

I personally dig Kurtz's suggestion: "Exterminate all the brutes," but that's just me.

Anyway, if you want to ride an ultimately unnecessary vehicle like a motorcycle I think that you should be a little more careful about banging on what anyone else chooses to drive around. Besides, we live in a country where you have the right to be completely stupid about what you choose to drive, purchase, go into debt over and say on a website (yeah, baby). What you do not have the right to do is foist your views on everyone else. And it's just plain bad manners to do so even if they make it legal tomorrow. Turn it around for a minute: many hikers and equestrians foster the same notions about motorcycles on public lands, as many MO'ers seem to harbor for SUV's on freeways. What do you, denizens of MO, think about that?

Now, can't we all just get along

Cheers

sbp

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote