Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-09-2002, 02:16 PM   #21
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Bike: Stop Terrorism, Save the Planet, and Get Right with God

Electric bikes wouldn't help the environment since the vast majority of our power comes from fossil fuel burning plants!

Even Hydro isn't very 'green'. Solar and wind require HUGE areas, are unreliable, and only work well in very small areas of the planet (and could never supply much power even if the planet were covered with them).

Nuclear would be totally green if we could find a way to dispose of it. (I say shoot it into to sun where it belongs. In the near future, we'll be able to do that completely safely). So..... GO NUCLEAR!
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2002, 02:18 PM   #22
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Riding a Motorcycle and Smoking Pot

I just don't recommend riding a motorcycle while, or shortly after, smoking pot
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:23 PM   #23
rsheidler
Founding Member

Yeah, God only knows what kinda $hit we could get into if people started expressing their opinions
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:24 PM   #24
gringolet
Founding Member

Default Re: agree in principle, but you math doesn't add up

Gasoline engines burn fuel at a ratio of 14:1 air/fuel - you're burning 14 units of air with every unit of gas. Therefore, that 27,060 pounds of greenhouse gas needs to be divided again, by 14. That leads to a more reasonable sounding 322.15 gallons of gas, or 4832 miles driven per year at your 15 MPG. Since the average miles driven per year is more like 15,000 it seems that a third of each gallon of gasoline becomes particulate crap, smog, etc.

As for how accurate THAT figure is, I have no idea - but it seems a lot more likely. And SUVs suck no matter what - the number of people who live with large families on otherwise impassable logging trails is minimal compared to the number of pinheads wheeling aimlessly through the mall parking lot in their new Hummer H2s, Escalades, and Excursions. Arseholes...
gringolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:24 PM   #25
fujinator
Founding Member

I guess we both saw "STRIPES". Great movie!
fujinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:25 PM   #26
DataDan
Founding Member

All this whining about motor vehicles is a crock. Y'all are forgetting one huge source of carbon dioxide: critters. Collectively, our fauna produce a vast amount of carbon dioxide, and, but for a few exceptions like race horses, hunting dogs, and T-bones-to-be, the fuzz-covered oxygen burners contribute nothing to humanity in exchange for all the CO2 they spew into our atmosphere.

Thus I propose the Surplus Wildlife Carbon Credit Program. The basic idea is that each new motor vehicle sold would be burdened with a requirement to reduce the overall rate of CO2 production by eliminating other, uh, mobile sources. In other words, the CO2 emission rate of the vehicle would be exceeded by that of its roadkill.

By my calculations, mammalian respiration produces roughly 15 grams of CO2 per day per kilogram of body weight. With a typical car emitting something like 10 kilograms per day, it sounds hopeless, right? But wait: A one-kilogram squirrel produces 15 grams a day. Flatten 667 of them--one furry lump of pestilence a week for 13 years--and you’ve canceled out the CO2 emissions from a Honda Accord being driven 10,000 miles a year. Aim a bit higher, poodles for example, and a Corvette meets its quota with one a month for just six years. Bury your bumper in Bambi a few times a year, and that Mercedes will fulfill its environmental obligation before the lease expires. Nail one full-grown bison with your ‘Burb, and you’re set for life.

There are no intractable problems, only unimaginative problem solvers.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:30 PM   #27
KPaulCook
Banned

LOL Reminds of me of the Reagan energy policy. Remember the RRs statement about "Trees polluting more ...."
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:33 PM   #28
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: agree in principle, but you math doesn't add up

Not all of us live in or even rear an urban environment. And there will NEVER be enough e-jobs for most people (even if we all had the training). The majority of people will always have to physically work at to some degree (at least until robots learn to think and completely take over). Pleasure riding would certainly be considered illogical and wasteful in such a world. As a pilot, I shudder to think of it.

Kind-of like the Matrix.....Hey, maybe we're all in it now and this is all......yaah
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:33 PM   #29
MAD
Founding Member

Jeez, must have been a slow news day... the typical, numbnuts argument against cars, SUVs, whatever... unfortunately, in the unabridged form.

Get a clue, Francis... your bike runs on gas, too, last time I checked...doesn't matter if it burns and gulps less...it's all petrol, and it's all from the very same pumps that Mister or Missy Escalade filled up.

Think about that next time that simplistic s******ing bug crawls up yer arse...
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:06 PM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

There's only one problem with your idea.

If, for example, the US population began to use half the gas, causing the price to plummet, the National Criminal Network, er I mean the Federal and State governments would just raise taxes to put the price right back up where it was. Then they would give these billions in tax revenue directly to Saudi Arabia so that the Saudis could continue to make their debt payments to the World Bank.

Look at the US State Department and their constant cozying up to dictators and other s*****. If you want to deal with all the problems associated with world terrorism cutting the use of gasoline will have exactly zero effect.

A better solution is to stop sending Republicrats to Washington.