Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-12-2002, 01:03 PM   #121
crg
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Bike: Stop Terrorism, Save the Planet, and Get Right with God

I thought about the fuel economy/pollution issue for a while, but I don't agree that SUVs are exceptionally less efficient than most other vehicles on the road: pickups, sports cars, mini-vans, etc. I think it's a shame though most of these vehicles only carry one person at a time.

Once I had my motorcycle, I thought how I couldn't really pick up groceries, or easily carry multiple people, and decided an SUV would offset the pro's and con's of motorcylcing best.
crg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2002, 01:59 PM   #122
hawkrider
Founding Member

I must attack the messenger! You people actually believe you know whats best for all of us. I am not going to waste my time debating the merits of an argument that has a flawed basis. You guys sound like a bunch of basement dwelling conspiracy nuts. BTW do you listen to Art Bell?

Heres a hint, think BIG PICTURE!

hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:10 PM   #123
grover750
Founding Member

So that's the way it works? I never said automakers were stupid for producing SUVs. So you answered an argument I didn't make in order to ridicule my statements. Hmmmm.

You're right though, as I reread your post, you don't say that we wanted SUVs outlawed. I guess the statements referencing communism (at the end of your first paragraph) got me pointed in that direction. My bad.

How many 25-40k decisions do I make based on advertising? None, since the only one I've ever made that big was my house. And...If people didn't make 25-40k decisions, I guess I'd never see any vehicles advertised that were over $25k. Watch some TV. Ever see ads for neons, corollas, or sentras? Rarely. Now watch for Escalades, Suburbans, and Explorers. It's really strange these auto companies would waste their money advertising those vehicles over $25k. Their market research must be inferior to yours, you should really let them know that advertising doesn't have an effect on big financial decisions. You could really save them some money.

Oh yeah, I'm going to give you the email addresses of people I've talked to about SUVs. Sure. I'll just let them know I'm in a debate with someone about SUVs, so I gave out their email addresses, blah blah. Sure. You do, however, have a point about the internet being a grand thing for anonymous flights of fancy. There was no point in me posting that, since it's not verifyable by the person I'm debating with, unlike, say, a statement about advertising being ineffective on purchases over $25k.

So do you have a response to the points I made in my 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 8th paragraphs?

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 04:20 PM   #124
grover750
Founding Member

Once again, no defending the SUV, no debate, just this BS about my "flawed" basis. I somehow doubt you'd think I had a "flawed" basis and that I "actually believe you know whats best for all of us" if I were ripping on those car owners for making a stupid purchase, when they could have had an SUV.

You must have some really strong arguments, so strong they are not even worth wasting on me. Please, share them with the board, someone else (maybe a non-basement dwelling conspiracy nut) might read them who is worth your time.

What is your opinion on voting? Isn't that just pushing my opinions on the rest of the country (and world), me "knowing what's best for all of us" again? How is expressing my opinion on a board different?

Hmmmm.... Big picture. Are you trying to get me to think on a broad scale? Like how my actions might effect others? Hmmmm.... How would my vehicle decisions effect others..... I could buy a fuel efficient vehicle, use less gas, less $ to the middle east, less money funding terrorists.... or I could buy an inefficient vehicle, waste gas, pollute more, send more money to terrorists...

Please, enlighten me with your big picture!

No, I'm not familiar with AB.

Old 12-12-2002, 07:02 PM   #125
hawkrider
Founding Member

Big Picture as in, BIG PICTURE! Not this single issue crap. Next you guys will be voting for your politicians based on what they drive.

Step back and talk to people you know, friends co-workers ask them why they drive an SUV. BTW do you run around yelling at people as they leave Burger King because they are eating un-healthy food? Why not? You can preach all you want. But you cant control what the heart desires.

But for God Sakes do your thing, I for one would never take that right from you.

Im done!
Old 12-12-2002, 07:02 PM   #126
hawkrider
Founding Member

Big Picture as in, BIG PICTURE! Not this single issue crap. Next you guys will be voting for your politicians based on what they drive.

Step back and talk to people you know, friends co-workers ask them why they drive an SUV. BTW do you run around yelling at people as they leave Burger King because they are eating un-healthy food? Why not? You can preach all you want. But you cant control what the heart desires.

But for God Sakes do your thing, I for one would never take that right from you.

Im done!
Old 12-13-2002, 06:16 AM   #127
grover750
Founding Member

I have asked my SUV owning friends what they like about SUVs, all I ever get is mumbled, "uh, you know, I kinda like it, it's good in bad weather, uh...I haul stuff... uh....and I think it's pretty safe... I don't really care too much about mileage...." All debateable points.

Why don't I get on people's case leaving BK? They're only negatively effecting themselves, not pulluting more & going out of their way to support terrorism, nor are they making the highways more dangerous. Plus, fast food is convienent. I eat it once in a while when I'm in a hurry. How would I know that's not what these people are doing? Just like I wouldn't rip on my brother-in-law, who owns a suburban to tow his ski boat (up his very steep unpaved driveway) and haul very large bundles of newspaper around, but drives a Taurus to go to work & run errands. So how do I know that not everyone is using their SUV for stuff like that? 50% of new vehicles sold are SUVs or light trucks. Are 50% of the people in the same (or similar) situation of my bro-in-law? Obviously not.

I love your statement "But you cant control what the heart desires". Ever think about why your heart desires an SUV? Did your heart desire an SUV in the 80's? I think your comment really reinforces my points (see above thread with Scott_650) about the effectiveness of SUV marketing. No reasons for it, I just want it. That kind of statment is the result of an extremely effective ad campaign. Kudos to the SUV ad makers, they've spun their magic on you.

Nor would I ever take any rights away from you. I have never advocated outlawing SUVs. I'm just trying to inform people about the downside of SUVs.

Old 12-13-2002, 09:54 AM   #128
hawkrider
Founding Member

Your comment: "They're only negatively effecting themselves, not pulluting more & going out of their way to support terrorism"

So people who drive SUV's are: "going out of their way to support terrorism".

You sir are a complete idiot if you believe that. I cannot think of a more rediculous position. As I said before you can hold your club meetings in a phone booth.

You and your beliefs are a waste of time and energy.

BTW First SUV was a new 1978 Ford Bronco, current, 2000 Yukon XL. I have to have an SUV to pull my Donzi offshore powerboat. Boy does that thing suck the gas. At full throttle it's like flushing a toilet.

Now, I am done.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:46 AM   #129
grover750
Founding Member

Ok, I'm willing to admit that statement was a bit strong, but here is a more rediculous position: When you buy a joint, you're supporting terrorism. Wait, didn't I just see an ad about that on TV?

Do you belive that none of the money used to fund terrorism comes from oil? Do you think that reducing oil consumption wouldn't result in less money going to people bent on destroying our country?

You sure have a great debating mode of operation: stick to the personal attacks, do everything possible to avoid debating the points. I guess if that's all you've got, might as well stick to it.

Glad to hear you're so proud of your boat. Wasting gas sure is a thing to be proud of.

I think that a big difference between you and I is that you do not believe your actions have any effect on anyone else (or don't care that they do), and I do.

But, I could be wrong about you, which is one of the reasons why I've avoided the personal attacks. The other is that I don't need them to support my argument.

Old 12-13-2002, 04:24 PM   #130
sarnali
Founding Member

There is a club like that, it's called the democratic party, they're the ones who usually come in second in election's, it seems the great un-washed don't appreciate their advice after all.,,,,, my advice would be that if you don't like SUV's, don't f***n' buy one, just like any fad, the suv craze will wear it's self out, people will get tired of clanking around in whats basicaly a truck that cost's $45 grand and get's s***y gas milage and go back to cars, now, take a deep breath, pat yourself on the back for saving us from ourselves, and go ride your motorcycle, {you do have one?}
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote