Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-10-2002, 09:00 AM   #91
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Bill Maher was on this bandwagon before 9/11!

Check out his latest book:

When You Ride Alone You Ride with Bin Laden

You don't have to be 100% on board to find it clever and thought provoking.

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2002, 09:52 AM   #92
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Wrong

Actually, if you read my post, I never stated that Jesus condoned public nudity -- what I did say was that it was far from certain that he OPPOSED it. While that comment was intended to be somewhat in jest, I stand behind it. I am fairly confident that Jesus was never quoted -- even third or 4th hand (as is likely the case of what is written in the Gospels) -- as saying anything even remotely addressing the subject. I doubt that it came up that often, given the likely paucity of strip clubs in Israel circa AD30.

Certainly Paul believed that sex was, in itself, sinful or at least bordering on such, but that as a last resort, it was "better to marry than to burn." He also had some fairly opinionated ideas of the proper role for women. Aside from certain Catholic traditionalists, most contemporary Christians (and I do not refer to the so called "liberals" only) do not fully share those views.

As for the Old Testament refererences condemning fornication and adultery, for every such citation, there are examples that suggest that these rules were regularly flouted by God's chosen leaders, generally without any record of God's displeasure.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 10:31 AM   #93
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>To be an agnostic means to be one who believes that there can be no proof of the existence of God but does not deny the possibility that God exists. <<

You have very accrurately summarized my beliefs -- I would go a step further and state that, not only do I not deny the possibility of the existance of God, I would probably acknowledge the PROBOBILITY that God exists.

What I am much more uncertain of, is the nature of God, if it exists.

The Christian, or Judeo-Christian views of God are far from the only ones out there, and within Judeo-Christian circles, there are widely differing interpretations of God's nature, and even more widely differing views of how to interpret his guidance and moral laws.

I am sufficiently familiar with fundamentalist Christian belief to realize that if I should find myself facing St Peter (or whatever forum my final judgement may take), there are things I have done that I could have a hard time justifying; however, any supposed blasphemy regarding my remarks about Jesus' views on public nudity would not be very far up on the list.

It was not my intention to offend anyone. I am certain that none of my clergy friends (I have several, including an Orthodox Rabbi, a couple Southern Baptist pastors and a Seventh-day Adventist minister) would have taken offense.

I agree that this is not the forum to debate theology

Old 12-10-2002, 10:43 AM   #94
gbmlaw
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Bike: Stop Terrorism, Save the Planet, and Get Right with God

As much as I agree with the sympathies that vlad (what a great name! I personally use Vuk as much as possible myself) expresses, I have to make a correction.

It ain't the manly men driving these road-going coal barges around here. Women. Almost all women. And often with a cell phone planted in the ear.

While I'm aware of the need to avoid gender stereotyping, it should be plain by now that women are every bit as greedy, stupid, self-involved and status oriented as guys.

Most of the women that I know who drive these idiotic quasi-vehicles say that they like the feeling of safety they get. And, I love this one, they don't have to reach down into a trunk to get packages out.

Sorry vlad, you are waaaaay behind the times. It has been a while since the car of choice of the young lady had been the pink Mustang 6 cylinder convertible. It is now the Eddie Bauer Expedition or the Lincoln equivalent.

So -- open up the rant. Include the ladies. If they can wear t-shirts that say "Does My Ass Look Fast In This" they can take a punch for driving some of the most senseless, menaingless and destructive land leviathans ever to escape from the design zoo we call Detroit.

Vuk

there hasn\'t been a kill file in place for more than a month, actually,
since i realized that you don\'t get to me anymore. [shrug]
Erin Darling (February 25, 2002)

Brian is an interesting character and an excellent resource
for a variet
gbmlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 10:51 AM   #95
vcs700s
Founding Member

I agree we should not argue theology as it rarely bears any good fruit.

Let's agree to disagree agreeably.

vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:45 AM   #96
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

No need to admit being sorry. I don't have a problem with you just what you said. I think you overreacted.

Fear of YOUR God left me a long time ago. If it still works for you, go for it but don't expect me or others to subscribe to the same belief system.

'nuff said.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:35 PM   #97
ltcmdr
Founding Member

Default Re: What planet are you on itcmdr?

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro..._articles.html

Hmmm. Checked my facts. You're right! We only import 6-8% on an average for the country, although the oil that is used on the east coast is 15-20% imported during peak months, and most of that is Canadian, European, and Carribean. Don't buy into the retoric. Our government worries more about our reserves and global prices than anything else. When OPEC raises prices, they raise prices here to reduce consumption so that we do not have to go into our reserves, or up refinery capacity, which normally runs at 60-80% . As a matter of fact, of couple American companies import NO oil.

I've included the above website for you to peruse, it is one of the most informative. Now you can check your facts!

ltcmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 01:22 PM   #98
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Bike: Stop Terrorism, Save the Planet, and Get Right with God

We'll have to cancel his subscription.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:33 PM   #99
rsheidler
Founding Member

Agreed!

Peace

Bob
Old 12-10-2002, 01:37 PM   #100
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Good Rant

May I borrow Oliver Stone's phone number?