Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-03-2002, 07:17 PM   #1
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: JohnnyB on History Channel

Cool show. But where are the sport bikes? They went straight from Goldwings to a frick'n BUELL! Throw me a frick'n bone here.....I want Buells with frick'n laser beams on their headlights!(what else are they good for) Buells look like mutated sea bass!
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2002, 08:52 PM   #2
gforces
Founding Member

Default no evolution of the sportbikes

yeah, cool show, but it focused mainly on Harley, Indian, and Triumph. Honda was touched upon, and then it went back to Harley and lastly Buell--I didn't pay attention to the commercials, but I can guess who paid for the ticket on this show.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:22 PM   #3
dwr461
Founding Member

Good idea talking about motorcycles on that show instead of politics. Maybe you should try it at MO. I also thought that the show spent a disproportional amount of time on HD. But they did go into dirt bikes which surprised me. Overall, I'd say it was a good show.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:44 PM   #4
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default More diversity than I expected

Pleasantly surprised it wasnÂ’t a total Hog love fest given the success of "Monster Garage", etc. David, Alan, and Guggenheim Dude laid down a fair history. Wished Peter and Johnny B. couldÂ’ve scored more face time, though.

Sport Bikers,

Rest assured your time was well spent on two watershed models in the motorcycle continuum: Segway and the Leno Jet BikeÂ….. So Sorry!

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:09 AM   #5
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: no evolution of the sportbikes

Nah, cafe racers was it.

A couple of strange thoughts:

Did Peter Egan get some work done or go to a Botox party?

JohnnyB sounded just as whiny as I thought he would.

David Edwards is a bigger man than I thought.

As for the show, I thought it pretty much was a Harley love fest (Harley battled Indian, then Triumph, etc.), with other details thrown in for distraction.

The jet bike was cool, but seriously, how many segments did that take?

The reference to sport bikes was in the cafe racers blahEurope speed handlingblahblah modern sportbikes blahjukebox timedblahblah.

*Way* too much time given to Buell. Instead: A nice segment or two on this history of modern roadracing would have been nice.

The bumper segments with the NY riders was B-A-D. Doesn't anyone ride a sportbike in NYC?

At least there was *some* good publicity for bikes.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 06:11 AM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

Excellent show to get your 10 seconds of fame Burns.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 06:22 AM   #7
bwarbiany23
Founding Member

Yeah, in the Guggenheim they showed the early GSXR 750 twice, the Duc 916 twice, and the MV Agusta a couple times, but they never say anything about these...

Like the revolutionary performance (at the time) of the GSXR? And how the absolute stunning beauty of the 916 was a rebirth (or birth) of the motorcycling bug for the masses. And, of course, how the MV is just gorgeous!

I thought that the fact that the only sport bike they show is the Buell, which although it's pretty cool bike isn't by any means the tops in its class, really shows you what this is about. It was a 2 hour commercial for The Motor Company... Throw a little extra in there for a jet bike, dirt bikes, but it was all cruisers...

Brad
bwarbiany23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:12 AM   #8
Tim_White
Founding Member

"They're cool."

Well said!
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:14 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: no evolution of the sportbikes

>>Doesn't anyone ride a sportbike in NYC? <<

Kinda hard to imagine why anybody WOULD ride a sportbike in NYC (or any big city, for that matter). I can't imagine a type of bike less suited for city traffic. If it were me, I'd go for a dual purpose endure-type bike, or a supermotard bike. Upright position lets you see over the top of the cabs, light weight and narrow so you can split lanes etc and long travel suspension to handle the potholes.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:26 AM   #10
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Johnny, you know you're getting old when you appear on the history channel while your still alive. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote