Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

View Poll Results: Loud pipes:
Save Lives 8 1.40%
Hurt Motorcycling's Image 14 2.45%
Are MY right! Damnit! 7 1.22%
Annoy me 20 3.50%
Should be moderated, not eliminated 25 4.37%
15 2.62%
446 77.97%
37 6.47%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2002, 12:55 PM   #1
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Shhhh.... You'll wake the Neighboooors!

Actually, 70 db isn't that bad with no load. I think many aftermarket pipes would pass that test. Of course, under full acceleration, they'll still rock the neighbors out of bed at six in the morning.

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2002, 02:25 PM   #2
gooseman_1
Founding Member

I live 1/2 hour away from Portland, and almost everyone commutes there to work. Portland is located on a big hill on a peninsula, with no flat area at it's base. So almost every street is on a steep grade (think San Fran). That 70 Db limit would be impossible for ANY bike to meet if measured from the closest sidewalk (which is how they've done it here), when going up hill. Hell, that woulld be impossible for any car. Keep in mind that 70 Db is described as "the volume of a normal conversation between 2 people at close range in an otherwise quiet place" For every 10 Db incerease the sound level is increased tenfold. So 106 Db is quite loud. In fact there are few things that loud out there (non-stock harleys and planes being 2 that come to mind). That one shouldn't be a problem for all but teeth-rattling harley riders.

All this from a city with an international airport runway pointed staight at it literally yards away, the world's largest oil tankers blaring in its harbor, not to mention trains and diesel trucks at all hours. I have no problem with sensible, well defined noise limits but they must apply to everyone, not just motorcycles. Contrary to what the guy in the article said, this does seem to be aimed specifically at riders, and not at noise in general.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 02:26 PM   #3
GregP
Founding Member

As they say, you get what you play for. It seems more and more communities are looking for ways to "stop the noise". And most riders don't seem to get it. The thing is, the posers that only ride around town (where the people are) are the ones making all the noise. Get out in the country and away from town, where riders are out riding because they enjoy it, and not looking to be looked at, and thats where you'll find the quiet bikes. Most that are out for the quality ride don't want the inteference themselves of the noise, just those that want to attract attention (to the chrome?) The back of my bike, on the saddlebags (Valk Tourer) says in big letters: LOUD PIPES.........RISK RIGHTS We all need to remember that not everybody enjoys the sound of a STRONG motor, and by being loud, we will all suffer together!
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:28 PM   #4
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default You missed my point

They're not measuring on hills. They're measuring static sound level with the bike out of gear. That makes no sense either, but it makes the topography of Portland a mute point.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:17 PM   #5
mj
Founding Member

I don't own a decibel meter but I know loud pipes when I hear them and to me like most people I know they are a pain in the a**.

I'm sick and tired of hearing this "loud pipes saves lives" BS or "it's my right to make noise"

If we as motorcyclists don't clean up our own act, the powers that be will do it for us and I'm sure that we will all suffer the consequences from the actions of a few inconsiderate malcontents.

mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:00 PM   #6
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: You missed my point

As I said, the proposed 106Db stationary test 20 inches back from exhaust at a certain RPM range makes sense(except that not all bikes have a tach). But if you read the article carefully, it's the proposed TOTALLY UNDEFINED 70Db test that's both AMA's concern and mine. It's important to note that we already have a noise ordinance that's been enforced for years. The way they measure noise violations now is to have a cop with a Db meter check when a bike goes by. If the sound passes a certain level (I'm not sure what the # is, but it's a lot higher than 70) you get a citation. The current ordinance is for ALL times of day, not just at night. Using this test, NO bike or much else could pass any 70Db standard, static or otherwise, lest the measurement be taken a LONG ways off. Anyone mowing their front lawn would violate even the current (less strict) ordinance, but no one complains about them. People with loud pipes are annoying, but we already have laws to deal with them. I wish it were just a noise issue. Unfortuntatly, it's not. Riders ARE being single out (but hey, what's new).
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:11 AM   #7
mconlon
Founding Member

The thing that bugs me about this is that it targets motorcyclists exclusively and is discriminatory in this way. Change it to "vehicles" and I would happily say it is a good thing--tag the ricers and musclecars, the diesel pickups and trucks with the same noise restrictions, and I'd be OK with that. Even though I own a M900 Monster with loud pipes.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:45 AM   #8
camfarm
Founding Member

Default Inconsiderate of What?

Malcontents?

Sounds like the Town Council and the non-riding neighbors are the malcontents.

Seems that inconsiderate is a matter of where you stand on the issue. I find it inconsiderate to target one part of a larger situation (bikes versus lawnmowers versus any noise making activity) and to pretend it is not a selective issue.
camfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:57 AM   #9
john
Founding Member

yes i say ***** them, mostly i hear pickups with dual flowmasters all over teh damn place
Old 12-06-2002, 07:42 PM   #10
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default As posted earlier tonight...

O.K. As far as I can see it, this is the situation: A certain population really enjoys the sound of their motorcycles' exhaust pipes. This pisses off everyone around town as they ride around. Sooooo... At the risk of making someone with initiative very rich, and everyone in this scenario happy, why doesn't someone invent straight pipes that have some sort of muffler insert that can be easily removed/replaced (quarter turn self locking or something) that can be stored away somewhere on their bike when they hit the open road and decide they want to take it out and let their bikes "breathe freely" (ie run like crap)? They could even invent an electrically controlled bypass valve so they could turn the sound on/off.Could it really be that hard? Look at the things "they" can do with technology these days, and I repeat, "could it really be that hard?"

luvmyvfr

p.s. If someone reading this makes this happen, you gotta give me some credit
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote