Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-19-2002, 01:14 PM   #1
MkellyTL1000S
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

Yes, it's sad but true that the US market has either been deprived of or has alternately turned a cold-shoulder to many standard bikes.....if it wasn't a cruiser or a full-plastic sport-bike, they collected dust in the show-room.

This tide may be turning back towards standards with the FZ1, CB919(boring), and ZR1200 out now and the hot new Kaw Z1000 coming soom.

Unfortunately, I don't see an air-cooled bike making it into the line-up....might be as simple as harder noise and emissions regs to just being "out-spec'd" on the showroom next to the more modern equivalents.....not fair maybe, but you know what they say fairness...
MkellyTL1000S is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2002, 01:16 PM   #2
VAX
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

All that I've read indicates that the GSX1400 is restricted to about 100 horsepower. Suzuki and the other Japanese importers don't believe that north americans will buy such a bike when they can get an FZ1 or ZRX1200 with more power. They may be right.

Personally, I'd like to see a big block triple, maybe 1200cc and a balance shaft for sure. It'd be like a modern Laverda Jota.
VAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:20 PM   #3
danch
Founding Member

If it's restricuted to 100HP, that's probably because of regulations/insurance on the continent and could easily be undone for the US market. Unless they're worried about liability/insurance cost here...
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:29 PM   #4
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

Well, "restrictors" are just what keep guys like Rob Muzzy in business, no? Look what he's done with the "restricted" ZX-12R and others... Or the similar in concept ZRX1200! Simply amazing. Don't think the GSX1400 would be any different.
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:37 PM   #5
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I don't think it is restricted by regulation, I think that that is all the power they can get out of it. That engine is about torque, not horsepower. If I remember correctly, it is a stroked Bandit 1200 motor.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:53 PM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm sure the biggest reason they didn't bring it here is because they think it won't sell. By looking at the sales of bikes in it's genre, I would say they are 100% correct. Ask KPaul. Them GenXers want price/performance, and I'm sure this one falls way short of most bikes out there. Torque? Who ever brags about that? Light? No. Fastest thing on Earth? No. Competent? Probably. Comfortable? Most certainly. Performance oriented? Not! The GSX1400 has no outstanding features other than it's girth, and resemblence to 1980 standards, which is why it would be dead in the water here. Us Americans have to have the biggest, shiniest, fastest, lightest, coolest toys on the block don't ya know. Ask KPaul, he will tell you.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:05 PM   #7
saaz
Registered Member

I think all these comments point out why the GSX1400 is not in the USA catalogue...too many judge bikes on numbers and how it compares to a sports or cruiser bike.

I have ridden the GSX1400 (we have it in Australia). No need to rev the thing above 3000rpm in normal riding..the torque output is more than most large capacity v twins! It is not a sports bike, but an all round road bike not built for track days or dragging the knee slider around 200kph corners. It should last forever the way it is built.

As for heavy..it is the same weight as my 1978 GS1000 (see I am biased!)...it was a lightweight when it came out!
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:13 PM   #8
MJS007
Founding Member

GSX1400 stock is around 105HP, with a Laser or Akra Pipe HP is 120HP - very quck off the line, oodles of torque - doesn't have the screaming tope end though.
MJS007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:15 PM   #9
MJS007
Founding Member

The GSX1400 certainly livens up once you get it past around 4500rpm - its a great commuter / tourer - especially here in Aus as you can get 300km out of a tank.

0-100 is 3.1 secs - not too shabby.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:19 PM   #10
MJS007
Founding Member

Specially designed engine - not Bandit derived

oil and air cooled, fuel injection, 22L fuel tank, six speed, fully adjustable front and rear shocks. Its a sports bike without the fairing